Hanson-Roberts Companion Books to the Deck

SeaSprite

I am just getting ready to acquire the Hanson-Roberts Deck and was wondering if anyone had advice on which set to buy or which companion book was the best. Or maybe I should just buy the individual deck and both books separately ? Except that strains the budget more . . .

The two books that I have come across are "Tarot Unveiled: The Method to its Magic" by Laura Clarson and "The Hanson-Roberts Tarot Companion" by Susan Hansson.

Does anyone have any advice on either of those books or know of another different one?

Thanks to All !

SeaSprite

Penny Dreadfuls

Hi Seasprite

I have both books and I really love the book "The Hanson-Roberts Tarot Companion" by Susan Hansson! It has great descriptions, interpertations and advice and spreads in the back. Great companion book.

The Clarson book is not very good in my opinion, very basic and the section on the pentacle suit is just very bad!

Enjoy your Hanson-Roberts, it's a personal favourite deck of mine.

lark

Hi SeaSprite, I have both books.
The Tarot Unveiled has a lot more too it than the Hanson Roberts Tarot Companion.

But each has somthing the other doesn't....the Companion book has a description of the card from the artists perspective that the Unveiled book doesn't.
Plus upright and reversed meanings...although these are pretty standard and I think they come right out of the LWB that comes with the deck.

Unveiled has an upright meanings...advice...and reversed meanings.
The meanings go into more depth than the Companion book.

Both have some added things in the back of the book.
Companion~
Has a Celtic Cross spread, Astrological spread and 9 card European spread.
About the author.
Evolution of tarot.
Getting Started section.
And meditation with the tarot.

Unveiled has ~
Picking a deck...starting out.
Card combinations section.
Reading a spread section using a Celtic Cross.
Timing and advice.
Ethics of reading for others.
The unknowable.
It also has the meaning for the card in the deck called To All Believers.

If a deck has a companion book I always get it because it makes the set complete, but if money is short and you can't get both right away Unveiled has more to it then the Companion book.

edit...oops now you have two different opinions :)

Penny Dreadfuls

lark said:
Unveiled has ~
It also has the meaning for the card in the deck called To All Believers.

If a deck has a companion book I always get it because it makes the set complete, but if money is short and you can't get both right away Unveiled has more to it then the Companion book.

edit...oops now you have two different opinions :)

The Hansson book has a page for the To All Believers card too.

celticnoodle

I have the mini deck of the Hanson-Roberts tarot, and absolutely love it! I don't have either book you mentioned though, so can't give advice on the book. however, I'm sure you'll find the HR deck very accurate. It always gives me great readings and is so easy to read with. Because it's the mini deck also, it fits well in my purse to carry with me where ever I go!

Enjoy your new book, and post again how you feel about the book--whichever you choose to get.

callistoluna

Hey Lark quoted:
"It also has the meaning for the card in the deck called To All Believers."

Could you let me know what this card is for?

I personally haven't got either book but I find the symbolism so similar to the RWS deck imagery that I have no problems with interpretation of these cards.

callistoluna

Yes. I know :) I found it in my next search.