Tarocco Di Marsiglia (Svizzera 1804)

firecatpickles

A favorite of mine. On onr hand, humor and delicacy in some of the eye expressions, profile views and line quality...on the other hand, there's some very unusual either distortions or perhaps unique bits...

The Cavallier De Coupe is actually the Knight of Pentacles--that's the mis-titled card. I don't know if it's the deck or the reproduction?

By the way, I'm changing my note to reflect the title of the misprint above and asking if others with the deck like the finish.

Does anyone have any information about the misprint? Was this original to the deck or is it a publishing error? I find it hard to believe IM would make such a mistake.

If it is originally to the deck, what does this say about literacy in 1804 Switzerland that the engraver didn't catch this? lol

Le Fanu

Isn't this the deck that had a second engraver engraving over the original? The Two of Coins has a name scratched out I seem to remember.

firecatpickles

Isn't this the deck that had a second engraver engraving over the original? The Two of Coins has a name scratched out I seem to remember.

you'll see the erased(?) inscription should have read;
"FAIT PAR JACQUE ROCHIAS A NEUCHATEL"

Yes. Mystery solved. Cost cutting measure, perhaps? And figure in that many people either wouldn't have cared or couldn't read anyway (or both).

Le Fanu

Cost cutting? Who knows. Maybe something dark and mysterious. This scratched out name has long fascinated me. I know of no other deck like this.

Ross G Caldwell

After feeling it for a while, I can tell that it's plastic. But just barely.Wow. My Soprafino's title page reads:
Tarocco
Soprafino di
F. Gumppenberg
Milano 1835

Ristampa fedelissima
edizioni
"Il Meneghello"
di O. Menegazzi
Milano 1992
Ed. di 2000 es.
No 1540/2000
Made in Italy

You made me get it out to make sure I wasn't imagining it. I wasn't (and mine's in the bookbinder thingy with ties). It's **hideously** plastic. Very glossy, and definitely plastic. I don't know if you've ever held the Maat deck which is very glossy, but that deck is not nearly as plastic as this one. Also, the fronts and backs feel different. Not at all like cards.

Mine's like Le Fanu's - no lamination. I have the same 1992 "Il Meneghello" edition as you (I actually bought it in Osvaldo Menegazzi's shop in Milan!), number 648 of 2000.

Where did you buy it? Is it possible somebody switched the contents, putting a glossy "pirate" edition or something in place of the original? I don't think any of Menegazzi's cards are highly laminated, actually.

gregory

1665 isn't laminated either - and I don't think any of my IM decks are.

firecatpickles

All of my IM's have the same feel to them. I wouldn't call it "lamination", but there is some sort of a thin coat of a lacquer-like substance on them. They are definitely not just plain cardstock quality paper printing.

gregory

No, not like plain soft absorbent card - but PLASTICKY like the deck SolSionnach describes ? No way.

firecatpickles

All my IM's are soft and (to my taste) almost un-shufflable (is that a word?). Definitely not plasticy US-Games-y!

Ross G Caldwell

I found a Meneghello Dotti (1845) that is horribly overlaminated. It is just a thick, shiny coat, completely ruining any authenicity to the feel or possibility for intimacy with the images.

The description card reads -

"Tarocco Italiano
Milano 1845 c.
Ristampa fedelissima da un gioco del Dotti
Edizione di 2500 es.
N. 1318 / 2500

Il Meneghello di
O. Menegazzi
Milano - Italia 1985"

This seems MUCH more like what SolSionnach is describing. I'm just amazed it happened to any of the 1992 printing of the Soprafino. It could be that there was more than one run, I guess.