Why Are There No Kings in this Deck!!!

Ranzel

I just bought a Thoth Tarot Deck. I think the images are very interesting, but one thing that freak me out is the card which is supposed to be a King is actually only a Knight in this deck!

Is a Knight as powerful as a King? The deck has Queens, but why no Kings?

Puzzled!!! - Ranzel

thorhammer

The Knight in the Thoth deck is roughly equivalent to the King, but is shown as the Knight (as I understand it) to better illustrate the cycle of birth and marriage between the Queen and Knight.

A Thoth scholar (see Thoth subforum) or user would be better able to answer this, although no doubt it is discussed there somewhere, if you take the time to search.

\m/ Kat

Logiatrix

Yes, to what thorhammer said...

Also, I've always gotten the impression that the Queen is "above" the Knight in the Thoth. I think.
:)

Emily

I've always felt the Queen was higher too - the Knight is the Queen's consort not her King.

Its the same with the Liber T. :)

greenbeans

I don't use Thoth but I always got the impression Knights were the higher male court as they are more active than a seated king...I might be wrong!

weaver

Despite my best efforts to understand the Thoth Tarot or Thoth inspired decks, I have never been able to wrap my head around the placement/titles of the court cards. Every time I think I have it, I find that I don't. Not really, anyway. I guess this old dog is simply not capable of learning new tricks! :laugh:

weaver

Sidhe-Ra

The Knights in the Thoth are the equivalent of the King, (and so above the Queen), the Princes being the status of the usual Knights. Duquette's book on the Thoth is excellent and makes it all very clear- it's also an excellent book on Tarot generally. I think the reasoning is something to do with the 'fiery' nature of Kings being better reflected in the more active title of KNight, than the rather sedentary impression you might get from the title 'King'. Kings rarely go on their own adventures in myths, generally sending the Knight on the quest...

Em x

weaver

Sidhe-Ra said:
I think the reasoning is something to do with the 'fiery' nature of Kings being better reflected in the more active title of KNight, than the rather sedentary impression you might get from the title 'King'. Kings rarely go on their own adventures in myths, generally sending the Knight on the quest...

Em x
I think this is where I get confused. To my way of thinking, the Knights have more of an adolescent, testosterone charged energy. They are coming into their own power, but haven't quite arrived there yet. By contrast, the Kings to me are more mature, seasoned, stable, and, quite likely, generally a bit more sedate.

Wouldn't the Queen, a mature, well rounded energy in Tarot, be married to the more mature and accomplished King? :bugeyed:

Again, I know it is my wee brain that is the problem. Still, I just have never resonated with, or completely understood the logic of, Crowley's Court card designations.

weaver

ZenMusic

weaver said:
Wouldn't the Queen, a mature, well rounded energy in Tarot, be married to the more mature and accomplished King?
??
did you ever know a woman who, in love, choose the accountant instead of the rock musican?

Knights have more motion, mobility, action and are better (for me) displays of the energy of the suit.. (though perhaps less Stamina in their moves, except, Knight of Discs) the Knights are going forth ..

Knight - King
Queen - Queen
Prince - Knight
Princess - Page

but not exactly equivalent, you'll see the distinction in the Thoth as you work with it.

weaver

ZenMusic said:
??
did you ever know a woman who, in love, choose the accountant instead of the rock musican?
Ummmm, me?! :bugeyed: :laugh:

Still, I appreciate your effort to enlighten me. :) With your insights in mind, I will try again to wrap my head around the Thoth deck's Court cards.

Thanks!

weaver