IDS: The Thoth. (We are not afraid of you!)

Scion

Aeon418 said:
Oh, Scion!!! Shame on you. :laugh: They are not keywords, they are the actual names of cards.
I was using her word cause I didn't want to confuse anyone! I plead the 5th! :D

PeterS

MariposAzl said:
That's funny cause when I first started studying the deck I decided not to read reversals for this one (when I do finally get down to reading with it) and I'm not sure why. Something just tells me it's not necessary. This would be the first time in 8 yrs of reading tarot that I've ever not read reversals.

When I started to get serious about Tarot I got Mary Greer's book on reversals and in is she says that she doesn't use reversals with the Thoth. So heck! if Mary Greer doesn't do then I don't have to either.

Now with all the RWS decks I do, this one seems, I don't know, silly when it is upside down and not at all serious.

Peter

mosaica

PeterS said:
When I started to get serious about Tarot I got Mary Greer's book on reversals and in is she says that she doesn't use reversals with the Thoth. So heck! if Mary Greer doesn't do then I don't have to either.

Now with all the RWS decks I do, this one seems, I don't know, silly when it is upside down and not at all serious.

Peter

Mary Greer does use dignities, however. But somehow, to me, dignities seem TOO serious. But I guess that goes along with the Thoth. I'm beginning to look at dignities a little bit in my readings, but not too seriously. More out of curiosity.

Scion

Mosaica, I'll tell you, with regard to dignities... they're both harder than they dseem and easier, if that makes sense. I don't think of them s serious, but definitely precise.

The thing is, you're probably already doing something like ED instinctively because the cards are designed for it... but once you start fine tuning with the logic behind it it opens lots of doors. Just take it in easy doses. :) They become especially helpful as some of Crowley's astrology starts setting up shop inside your noggin. :thumbsup:

Star-Willow

Aeon418 said:
They are not keywords, they are the actual names of cards.

Keyword... name of a card.... is there a difference?

missycab said:
I could never trim my Thoth!!! *hugs the deck tightly* My precious!!!

I did it missycab and they look absolutely gorgeous :heart: No more hideous border just pure art, I am still amazed at how stunning they look :)

mosaica

Star-Willow said:

I did it missycab and they look absolutely gorgeous :heart: No more hideous border just pure art, I am still amazed at how stunning they look :)

Oh, you brave person, Star-Willow! I've trimmed five or six decks, but I can't bring myself to cut the Thoth.

A "keyword" tells you the main meaning that the creator intended for the card. A "name" of the card is a title. It's more than a meaning; it's part of the card's identity, part of the whole picture that you have to take into account to determine the meaning. Does that make sense?

Aeon418

Star-Willow said:
mosaica has already summed it up perfectly.

The names of the cards come directly from the Golden Dawn system, where each cards proper title was Lord. That might seem a little silly, but it has to be remembered that each card is a pictorial representaion of natural forces both within humanity and outside in the wider universe.

A few random examples

9 of Disks - Lord of Material Gain

2 of Swords - Lord of Peace Restored

9 of Wands - Lord of Great Strength
Each card is, in a sense, a living being

Aleister Crowley ~ The Book of Thoth

MariposAzl

ED's........
dignities.......
:confused:

Storm82

PeterS said:

Peter

the ED give you more "dept" in the readings... and it all make sense!
if you know what cards that are the "rulers" of other cards you get 3 cards in one + several elements + astrological sign and planet, and combining all this: you get the meaning of the card

when you get in to it you get that "AHA"-feeling. The system make sense and can actually help you with the meaning of the cards

Star-Willow

mosaica said:
Oh, you brave person, Star-Willow! I've trimmed five or six decks, but I can't bring myself to cut the Thoth.

I did agonise over it for a few days and I for the life of me can not remember what made up my mind but, I really am pleased with the way they turned out, my cutting skills are better than I thought and like I said, they are just stunning!

A "keyword" tells you the main meaning that the creator intended for the card. A "name" of the card is a title. It's more than a meaning; it's part of the card's identity, part of the whole picture that you have to take into account to determine the meaning. Does that make sense?

This does make great sense and you know I didn't even realise that Lon uses the 'names' in his book until after reading this...... I really am learning so much from doing an IDS, and this thread has been great :)