The Little Window Tarot

MrsOnePotato

spoonbender said:
That is awesome, MrsOnePotato - there's just SO much energy in that blast!!!

Man, I hope to hold this deck in my hands one day. :)

Thanks so much, Spoon!
My plan is definitely to do a limited edition run of this when it's all done (something affordable)....and I just need to finish eight more!

:) MrsOnePotato

rogue

I like your style. What medium are you using?

MrsOnePotato

lampkin said:
I like your style. What medium are you using?

Thank you lampkin!
I am using oil pastel...those big thick ones that act alot like oil paint...on paper. This is a medium I enjoyed using back in art school, so I returned to it for this project.

MrsOnePotato

rogue

Good job. You are already close to finished with the majors. I have some pastels, but they seem like blunt crayons and I never used them. Are they really like oil paint? You do very good with them.

MrsOnePotato

lampkin said:
I have some pastels, but they seem like blunt crayons and I never used them. Are they really like oil paint? You do very good with them.

Thanks Lampkin!
They are like big blunt crayons...I like how they are so bold and create wonderful textured marks. They also force me to be looser than I would normally tend to be (I can be overly fussy with detail). However, I am coming up with lots of ways to cheat, especially where I need detail in the faces. I have little tiny slices of pastel that I use (horribly messy though) and I use razor blades and popsicle sticks to remove color in some places.

I think The Magician will be next...I need to get a few more in the works!
MrsOnePotato

rogue

Would you mind revealing some of your detailing secrets? I'm curious. Also I'm curious if you're going to continue after the majors.

blackroseivy

That MOON - I just saw it - is so somehow MENACING!!! :D THAT is 1 HELLUVA JOB you did! I'll buy this one!

MrsOnePotato

blackroseivy said:
That MOON - I just saw it - is so somehow MENACING!!! :D THAT is 1 HELLUVA JOB you did! I'll buy this one!

Thank you blackroseivy!
That moon definitely has something up his sleeve....
:)MrsOP

MrsOnePotato

lampkin said:
Would you mind revealing some of your detailing secrets? I'm curious. Also I'm curious if you're going to continue after the majors.

Hi lampkin,
Hmmmm....secrets. Well, I am working larger than actual size (10" x 5.5"). Like I said, I've cut smaller slivers off the pastel using a razor blade, so that I can get a sharp point. And I sometimes use the corner of a folded paper towel to mix things together on the paper (that's an important point....the color gets mixed directly on the paper, rather than on a palette like paint).

Also, I don't begin a drawing until I have the entire layout worked out beforehand. I've made pencil sketches for every card.

All in all, it's a pretty messy business...I end up with a lot of gook on my fingers and my worktable. But I'm happy with the effect, so I'll keep slogging on...

Thanks for your interest!
MrsOnePotato

serenaserendipity

thanks for the inspiration

thank you for the inspiration, mrs onepotato...

remember, harry potter was written in a diner by a single mother on welfare--

your work is very simple and striking and personal.

best of luck!

sincerely,

serena