Matthews' Arthurian Tarot -- Still Used?

Le Fanu

OK.. so.. from a position of authority, describe for us the different effects of black versus white arches / borders. :)

gregory

OK.. so.. from a position of authority, describe for us the different effects of black versus white arches / borders. :)

The black borders sort of frame the scenery, making it the central part of the card, kind of. They don't feel like "part of the card" at ALL.

The white ones sort of bleach it all out. It's hard to explain - I'd liken it to watching a movie in a theatre with the lights on and then with them off. Off is better. For me.

Not that I am in any position of authority here :D I just have both !

Patrick Booker

I used this deck quite a lot at one time. I have the original version with black borders, and have never seen the more recent one. But I attended an event at Hawkwood College in 1990 with John and Caitlin Matthews and Miranda Gray, based upon magical aspects of the deck. From what I can remember, John and Caitlin expressed some disappointment with the quality of the colours, and hoped that a new printing would be closer to Miranda's paintings in that respect. I would be interested to know if the colouring is significantly different in the newer version.

Patrick

Aerin

For me, what gregory says...

Oh, and the backs are different. The first version was designed not to use reversals. I never have with this deck anyway.

I would be interested to know if the colouring is significantly different in the newer version.

Patrick

I find that very hard to say because of the border colour difference - white isn't as good a frame. I haven't got time to dig them out right now, perhaps someone has them handy.

I actually have 2 black bordered versions, different packaging and one has a journal.

PathWalker

Like Aerin, I have several copies of the deck (both black and white edged too) several of the Matthews' books, and stacks of associated literature :)

I can see that for some people the interest in Arthurian legend and myth could have been a trend, a phase, which they moved into and then out of. But for me, it is an enduring interest and the archetypes still resonate in my lifetime. The lessons contained within, and the threads which link back to earlier Celtic legends (although incomplete) give me much to ponder on. It's not a two-dimensional passing fad, like a tv series that comes and goes, it's a lifetime journey.

I am one of the folks plodding along in the study threads, working through the written lessons and journeys of the HallowQuest which the Matthews wrote some years ago (and well done on the 99p bargain!)

I must say I don't use the deck to read in the everyday sense, it is part of my study, and when I want to do an 'ordinary' reading, or read for someone else, I turn to another deck. But I would never be without it.

You do still sometimes see the first edition, black-bordered deck second hand, and I heard that a new printing might soon be avaliable - presume it will be the same as the second, white bordered version. The Hallowquest website would probably be the place to watch for details on that.

Be interested to hear if you do get a copy, and what you make of it.

Blessings on your journey
PathWalker (UK)

merissa_88

I think this is a really special deck and have been trying to work through the course also. I've really enjoyed Pathwalker's posts on the course thread.

I only have the new version with the white borders. I really want to get the older version one day. I tried to use the one I have with reversals and it really didn't work for me. My readings improved a lot when I stopped doing that.

This deck takes time but it is really worth it. (Not Thoth kind of study, but some work). Besides the course, I really enjoyed reading some older versions of the Arthurian legends. I had great feedback on readings I've done for others with it also. Even though I own the Legend deck and love it, this deck is much more interesting.

Hope you enjoy it!

Morwenna

I've always been an Arthurian fan, and I've been a Matthews fan ever since I first found their books, at least 20 years ago. I have the black-bordered version of this deck and love it! I also have the book Hallowquest and the Arthurian Tarot Course, the latter of which I Finally! found, only to have the former shipped off to storage... :( Well, now I can get with the course, which I had planned to start several years ago.

I saw the white-bordered version, and whether or not the colors are brighter, it seems that the white borders make the pictures recede in comparison with the black borders. I think black borders are wonderful; they make the pictures pop out. The one thing I never agreed with in this deck, though, is the making of the border into an arch shape. I'm much more likely to enter a card when the framework is unobtrusive, and ordinary rectangular borders, i.e. those that follow the edge of the card, are unobtrusive. Those arches are Not! If anything, they feel limiting rather than opening onto the scene. I honestly wished that instead of merely changing the color of the border, they had just eliminated the arch!

That said, I really get into the scenes in this deck. That's probably one reason I'd like to see more of the scenes! Get rid of the arches that cut off parts of the scene! Just make a little black border, following the edge of the card, and right to the edge eliminating the white around the edge. I'd love that.

Those of you who have met the Matthewses, you have my envy. You very lucky people. They were to be the guests, years ago, of a conference that I went to every year, only the last one held was the one before they were to appear. Sigh...

AJ

My black set with all the books went to Photokat in a lot sale on Ebay last spring, she may still have it if you wanted to ask.

I echo Pathwalker from 2 posts above:
"I can see that for some people the interest in Arthurian legend and myth could have been a trend, a phase, which they moved into and then out of. But for me, it is an enduring interest and the archetypes still resonate in my lifetime."

Patrick Booker

Those of you who have met the Matthewses, you have my envy. You very lucky people. They were to be the guests, years ago, of a conference that I went to every year, only the last one held was the one before they were to appear. Sigh...

I haven't been in touch with them for years, but they have a website, which you may have seen:

http://www.hallowquest.org.uk/

They seem to spend most of their time in the UK. Their work covers an enormous range, and everything they produce is well-balanced and interesting.

Patrick

PathWalker

Just a word on the arch shaped artwork - I get the impresion that the actual art may be that shape - there are no "corners" to add in, even if you take the black away - or if there ever was, there isn't now :(

They were made in that shape to be arched doorways, that you would step through, think old castle architecture I guess?

I agree, it would be nice to see the 'whole'.

Pathwalker