Borderless Rider-Waite coming from US Games...

EmpyreanKnight

It seems like it does not have any copyright in the front and back! In the preview images of the Smith-Waite Borderless on the site, it shows not one copyright imprint on the front card image or on the back.

Upon checking the card previews of the other decks, the copyright always shows (check out those for the Centennial, Original, and any other deck, really). However, looking at the Albano-Waite preview images on the same site, the borders are clean although the actual physical cards do have copyright imprints on them. So I guess in the case of the Borderless Smith-Waite, that is not conclusive huh?

But, I mean, tbh copyrights on borders don't bother me anymore. Or maybe it's because I read mostly with the Thoth, where it is placed inconspicuously in the border at the back of the cards. Might be a tempest in a teacup thing.

Nepenthes

USG and Thoth

Heard back from them and they reminded me that AGM publishes Thoth. Maybe I'll check with them on any future plans.

Alan

Abrac

I'm sorry but from those pictures it just looks ridiculous. Another one I won't be wasting $$ on.

The Rider Deluxe was just a RWS deck with gilt edges, nicely done gilding, I'm just sayin'.

Le Fanu

I don't think it looks ridiculous. It's only like taking the frame away from a picture. If I saw a Vermeer without a frame I wouldn't think it lessened the picture. In fact, looking at it objectively, a frame was never a part of a Vermeer anyway. We're just used to seeing one thing and now we are seeing another. Nothing whatsoever in the image has been affected. I doubt that PCS' original watercolours had a neat little white border round them.

I like the look of it, although from those scans it doesn't look strictly borderless as there is a thin white border round it but that could just be the scan.

EmpyreanKnight

Just compared the images to my Centennial, and it seems you're right. It follows the same coloring scheme and shading, tho it's definitely much brighter. That might have been because it's an image viewed in an electronic screen, so the colors of the actual catds might just be as subdued as the Centennial.

Definitely not the plaid-backed Rider deck, since the background in the images does have a fine mottling effect that's a signature of the PCS. Not the Original either since the 3 of Swords in the borderless is unambiguously gray. So yeah it seems like it is based on the Centennial.

I've always wanted a borderless RWS since I don't do arts and crafts that well really, and I don't want to butcher a poor deck. This one seems to check all the right boxes for me. I did plan on buying a backup for my Centennial, but getting this borderless first does look like a more prudent proposition. Yup, this one goes straight in my to-buy list, and if they do release it by late summer, it shall be in my hands before the year ends.

magicjack

The regular RWS does not have that large of a border anyway. The black line on the card is actually drawn on by Pamela Coleman Smith. (Or it looks like it anyway). If I buy another RWS I deserve a spanking!

teomat

The drawings have clearly been modified (e.g. the additional space around the High Priestess), but it's not too bad. Not for me though - I like borders on my decks.