10 of cups, I need more ideas!

tarot_quest

Hi guys,

I read my tarot journal yesterday and I just don't understand something. I already did a thread on this, but I need a concise answer about this 10 of cups (any perspective is welcome!)

Ok, part of a larger spread, I asked which type of relationships were going to be presented to me during summer and fall 2015. I got (according to other people on AT) some ''hit and run'' type of cards (which ended up true!)

My question is, why have I got the 10 of cups when asking if one of these relationships would get serious (i.e. committed)?

I am really confused! If there was a possibility of having something serious, could I have get other types of cards? 10 of cups represents the commitment card, when we reach something that we cherish. On the other hand, some people see this card as wishful thinking

Any ideas? Does Tarot is telling me that one of these relationship might turn out serious? I had no expectation when I pulled this card, months ago.

What might be the message here?

Thanks!!

SwordOfTruth

Well ten of cups have never really struck me as a commitment card actually. It just describes the intensity of feeling within the match, that can happen with long or short term relationships. If I'm seeing a committed relationship then I may or may not see this card, but generally will see some or all of these cards.

- Two of cups, I believe this one is really a requisite because it speaks of the partners concerned thinking of each other in terms of partnership rather than just casual dating. There are just two people here, toasting with their cups which brings some themes to mind, excluding others (exclusivity), they have their own little world (committed) and of course it's got a kind of marriage vibe about it. Although I wouldn't say it necessarily means marriage.

- Hierophant, the gold standard in commitment cards because he often does signify marriage. It's about a relationship that follows tradition so it's likely to be committed and exclusive.

- Ten Of Pentacles, the card of stability and attainment of longterm goals. When I see this card in relationships I think of permanence. The picture is obvious, it's a couple in town, they have all the wealth they could wish for and they're going about their daily life. Because this is tied to hearth and home I would expect this couple to be living together, possibly having a family together, pets, kids, building or buying a home.

- Four Of Wands, I don't really see this as the big marriage card. But I do see it as signifying a formal stage in relationship. So a couple who are dating becoming 'official' as bf/gf. Engagements is another one I associate with this card as well. It's about milestones in relationships. Wherever the relationship is at, this card illustrates the next level.

- Wheel Of Fortune, particularly if the querent is single at the time then this card is telling me their status is changing. So yes I would take that as a commitment of sorts because they are about to be partnered, rather than remain single. Whatever is existing will shortly be changed is what this card says. But this card does not speak of anything longterm, it comes up just as often for flash in the pan relationships that start out promising and then suddenly fizzle when the lesson is done.

- The Lovers, BUT only when paired with other longterm cards as described above. This card comes up just as often to point to any kind of sexual partnership/platonic partnerships where feeling is high or even just the opportunity to date or meet someone. It's a strange card this because it can mean so many things. I lot of people take the majors to mean something significant. I don't always put that spin on it. The majors often just represent general themes rather than specifics and since this is the general theme of partnership it doesn't always herald anything big. Just the opportunity that is arising.

Wishful thinking? I generally see the Moon, Star or Page Of Cups, seven of cups when the tarot wants to indicate that. I've not really seen the ten of cups mean anything other than a situation where big emotions will be involved. Love and other situations.

tarot_quest

Well ten of cups have never really struck me as a commitment card actually. It just describes the intensity of feeling within the match, that can happen with long or short term relationships. If I'm seeing a committed relationship then I may or may not see this card, but generally will see some or all of these cards.

- Two of cups, I believe this one is really a requisite because it speaks of the partners concerned thinking of each other in terms of partnership rather than just casual dating. There are just two people here, toasting with their cups which brings some themes to mind, excluding others (exclusivity), they have their own little world (committed) and of course it's got a kind of marriage vibe about it. Although I wouldn't say it necessarily means marriage.

- Hierophant, the gold standard in commitment cards because he often does signify marriage. It's about a relationship that follows tradition so it's likely to be committed and exclusive.

- Ten Of Pentacles, the card of stability and attainment of longterm goals. When I see this card in relationships I think of permanence. The picture is obvious, it's a couple in town, they have all the wealth they could wish for and they're going about their daily life. Because this is tied to hearth and home I would expect this couple to be living together, possibly having a family together, pets, kids, building or buying a home.

- Four Of Wands, I don't really see this as the big marriage card. But I do see it as signifying a formal stage in relationship. So a couple who are dating becoming 'official' as bf/gf. Engagements is another one I associate with this card as well. It's about milestones in relationships. Wherever the relationship is at, this card illustrates the next level.

- Wheel Of Fortune, particularly if the querent is single at the time then this card is telling me their status is changing. So yes I would take that as a commitment of sorts because they are about to be partnered, rather than remain single. Whatever is existing will shortly be changed is what this card says. But this card does not speak of anything longterm, it comes up just as often for flash in the pan relationships that start out promising and then suddenly fizzle when the lesson is done.

- The Lovers, BUT only when paired with other longterm cards as described above. This card comes up just as often to point to any kind of sexual partnership/platonic partnerships where feeling is high or even just the opportunity to date or meet someone. It's a strange card this because it can mean so many things. I lot of people take the majors to mean something significant. I don't always put that spin on it. The majors often just represent general themes rather than specifics and since this is the general theme of partnership it doesn't always herald anything big. Just the opportunity that is arising.

Wishful thinking? I generally see the Moon, Star or Page Of Cups, seven of cups when the tarot wants to indicate that. I've not really seen the ten of cups mean anything other than a situation where big emotions will be involved. Love and other situations.

Wow! That's a good tutorial ;)

I agree with all of your commitment cards here!

The confusion comes from the fact that when I asked recently why I got this 10 of cups months ago, I also got the 10 of pentacles. You were very insightful for that thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=246706

In other words, if I recap

- I got the 10 of cups when asking if one of my dates could turn out to be serious
-recently, I asked Tarot why I got that 10 of cups previously regarding that question, the central card was the 10 of pentacles (suggesting something solid).

Maybe I am overly analyzing things here, but I don't understand that message. I might meet someone, but does this 10 of cups mean that it will be, like I asked months ago, one of the dates that I saw during the summer/fall 2015 period?

Girl Archer

Great post, I learned a lot too, SwordofTruth. Additionally, would you say that the 6 of cups is a good love card to get, as a sort of echo of the Lovers? A sweet puppy love kind of romance? How about getting the Kings or Queens of any suit? They are mature, evolved and moving towards commitment surely? (except the King of Wands and Queen of Swords). I'd say Queen of Pentacles is a definite indicator of marriage or at least a serious long term relationship. As for 10 of Cups, I have even read that it came up for a break up, when someone asked if a guy would propose BUT... It turns out that the guy was very happy with status quo and couldn't possibly offer anything more than that. So that ended up being the bone of contention for the couple. So, sometimes it shows the highest manifestation of the suit of cups (feelings). Not always marriage and babies.

SwordOfTruth

Wow! That's a good tutorial ;)

I agree with all of your commitment cards here!

The confusion comes from the fact that when I asked recently why I got this 10 of cups months ago, I also got the 10 of pentacles. You were very insightful for that thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=246706

In other words, if I recap

- I got the 10 of cups when asking if one of my dates could turn out to be serious
-recently, I asked Tarot why I got that 10 of cups previously regarding that question, the central card was the 10 of pentacles (suggesting something solid).

Maybe I am overly analyzing things here, but I don't understand that message. I might meet someone, but does this 10 of cups mean that it will be, like I asked months ago, one of the dates that I saw during the summer/fall 2015 period?

Yes but if I recall, that ten of pents was sandwiched between a couple of blocks. So as with all things, context is everything.

Life happens and people change direction with a single decision, the potential to realise was there but it didn't connect. It reminds me somewhat of my previous relationship which all the commitment and happiness cards were there, but it actually ended up being the shortest relationship I ever had.

Ten of cups
Lovers
Wheel Of Fortune
Four of wands
two of cups

Now these cards didn't turn up just once but repeatedly over the entire period we were together. What actually happened was that feelings were indeed intense and I was intensely happy for almost the entire relationship. Until we got engaged (four of wands) and then it was a very swift descent and breakup thereafter. I will note that the ten of pents however did not feature in that relationship at all. In fact the only pents in it was the Knight Of Pents who was a regular feature along with the big heads up, the Knight Of Wands. I should have known it was going to be short-lived with him featuring.

Wheel Of Fortune & Four of Wands appearing together was another heads up that the event would change my status, just not in the direction I thought. I was single again. Lol! The cards may not be at fault, but rather the order in which they appear, and our interpretation of them can vary dramatically. You can't always see a ten of pents and instantly think living together, it's definately happening. Sometimes it's a potential only that still relys on both parties to make it happen. Other times such as that reading you linked, its talking about a concept that is presently blocked. And sometimes we want it to mean one thing when it means another....my engagement for example. Slight hitch.

tarot_quest

I'd say Queen of Pentacles is a definite indicator of marriage or at least a serious long term relationship.

I like the queen of pentacles. I lack the earth element in my chart big time, so all earthy cards for commitment are welcomed in my spreads! I like the idea of taking things slowly, but surely

As for 10 of Cups, I have even read that it came up for a break up, when someone asked if a guy would propose BUT... It turns out that the guy was very happy with status quo and couldn't possibly offer anything more than that. So that ended up being the bone of contention for the couple. So, sometimes it shows the highest manifestation of the suit of cups (feelings). Not always marriage and babies.

I understand the example, the guy felt that he reached the maximum he could offer. Makes sens.

Any ideas as why I got the 10 of cups when asking about having something serious out of these relationships and why I then got the 10 of pentacles months after to clarify?

tarot_quest

Yes but if I recall, that ten of pents was sandwiched between a couple of blocks. So as with all things, context is everything.

Life happens and people change direction with a single decision, the potential to realise was there but it didn't connect. It reminds me somewhat of my previous relationship which all the commitment and happiness cards were there, but it actually ended up being the shortest relationship I ever had.

Ten of cups
Lovers
Wheel Of Fortune
Four of wands
two of cups

Now these cards didn't turn up just once but repeatedly over the entire period we were together. What actually happened was that feelings were indeed intense and I was intensely happy for almost the entire relationship. Until we got engaged (four of wands) and then it was a very swift descent and breakup thereafter. I will note that the ten of pents however did not feature in that relationship at all. In fact the only pents in it was the Knight Of Pents who was a regular feature along with the big heads up, the Knight Of Wands. I should have known it was going to be short-lived with him featuring.

Wheel Of Fortune & Four of Wands appearing together was another heads up that the event would change my status, just not in the direction I thought. I was single again. Lol! The cards may not be at fault, but rather the order in which they appear, and our interpretation of them can vary dramatically. You can't always see a ten of pents and instantly think living together, it's definately happening. Sometimes it's a potential only that still relys on both parties to make it happen. Other times such as that reading you linked, its talking about a concept that is presently blocked. And sometimes we want it to mean one thing when it means another....my engagement for example. Slight hitch.

Thanks SwordsOfTruth! I will let this information sink in! ;) I like your logical approach!

This is a philosophical question, but when you say that there is the possibility that the potential was there, but it did not connect, do you mean that we were not meant for each other? (In the sens that we have preparatory relationship and some more significant encounters among those relationships?)

SwordOfTruth

Additionally, would you say that the 6 of cups is a good love card to get, as a sort of echo of the Lovers? A sweet puppy love kind of romance? How about getting the Kings or Queens of any suit? They are mature, evolved and moving towards commitment surely? (except the King of Wands and Queen of Swords). I'd say Queen of Pentacles is a definite indicator of marriage or at least a serious long term relationship. As for 10 of Cups, I have even read that it came up for a break up, when someone asked if a guy would propose BUT... It turns out that the guy was very happy with status quo and couldn't possibly offer anything more than that. So that ended up being the bone of contention for the couple. So, sometimes it shows the highest manifestation of the suit of cups (feelings). Not always marriage and babies.

Absolutely. I like seeing paired court cards in a love reading because it often makes it easier to see what's going on. If I see King and Queen of pents turning up to represent the couple, good news. Two compatible commitment minded individuals. The King and Queen of wands however, I wouldn't be quick to rush to the commitment conclusion. King and a Page, Queen and a Knight, mismatched power play. One will get bored of the other. Mixed Kings and Queens of various suits, some incompatibilities.

But everything has to be read according to where it sits and the specific question asked. And even then you'll still get close but no cigar situations like my previous relationship. Technically I did read the individual cards right but the conclusion I came to about them was wrong. I missed the fact the Knight Of Pentacles was me and the Knight Of Wands was him. Knight & Knight relationship, pretty obvious this wasn't going to work. We were on about the same maturity level but I was a diligent person and he was reckless. What I needed to see was a King & Queen which was totally absent in all readings. But I didn't know to look for that pattern back then. So.....

LeFou

Some see the 10 of Cups (at times) representing an over-idealized fantasy, "somewhere over the rainbow."

In line with this idea, the nines complete the suit, the tens "wrap around" and repeat with a hint of excess or over-emphasis, over the top. In the majors, the power of the Mage escapes his grasp to become the Wheel, unintended consequences, blowback, the butterfly effect. In the minors, you could think of a ten as an overdone ace.

tarot_quest

Some see the 10 of Cups (at times) representing an over-idealized fantasy, "somewhere over the rainbow."

In line with this idea, the nines complete the suit, the tens "wrap around" and repeat with a hint of excess or over-emphasis, over the top. In the majors, the power of the Mage escapes his grasp to become the Wheel, unintended consequences, blowback, the butterfly effect. In the minors, you could think of a ten as an overdone ace.

Thank you LeFou!

and clarified by the 10 of pentacles months later, do you think that it still point to my idealization towards relationship?

It could be because this 10 of pent was surrounded by rx ace of cups and rx moon (so it might point to obstacles on my way, like SwordOfTuth mentioned with the link to my previous post)?

Just trying to finally understand this message to pass to the next step (I am in the process)