Pamela Colman Smith's Ethnicity?

Lolotte

I've been doing a bit of research on the history of the Rider-Waite-Smith tarot deck, and recently I've been reading a lot of contradictory information about PCS-- Most of the sources I've seen say that she is part Jamaican, though a couple of the more comprehensive sites say that it's misinformation based on her time spent in Jamaica when she was younger.

That said, it seems like a lot of her contemporaries described her features as "exotic", so it leads me to wonder if she was in fact mixed race.

Does anyone have any more information about this?

Richard

"Her mother, Corrine Colman Smith (neé Colman) was believed to have been from Brooklyn, but may have been of Jamaican descent." From The Artwork and Times of Pamela Colman Smith by Stuart Kaplan, p. 5.

Abrac

Based on the pictures I've seen there seems to be a strong Asian element, or possibly Native American. I can see how a person 100 years ago might have described her as "exotic." Colman (her mother) and Smith (father) are both English names but that doesn't really say much about ethnicity.

roppo

Pixie often caricatualized herself as a Chinese girl. John Butler Yeats, an accomplished portrait artist, said she looked like Japanese. Irene Cooper Willis described her as "dear, funny, Chinese looking little artist and painter". So many people suggested Asian elements in her.

DeToX

I'm confused. The OP title is regarding Smith's ethnicity. In the OP, Lolotte goes on to talk about race. Are we talking about ethnicity or 'race'?

Jamaican is a nationality, not really an ethnicity or a race. Native American is an ethnicity but Asian is not as it could be anything.

Teheuti

I believe the later research does not support PCS as being mixed race, nor do photographs of her indicate it. She seems to have played up an exoticness through her clothing and story-telling, which others then played along with.

Lolotte

DeToX: Sorry for the confusion! I was actually hoping for information on all 3: Race, Ethnicity and Nationality. Nationality-wise, it seems that most sources agree that she is from the United States, but what I personally meant was, if she were mixed race, it's possible that she might have been partly of Afro-Jamaican ethnicity, since she was very invested in the culture.

However, as others confirmed, it looks like most of the speculation is from her clothes and storytelling, so it's most likely not the case.

Teheuti

She was born Pamela Corinne Colman Smith on 16th Feburary, 1878 in Pimlico, Middlesex (London, England). She died in 1951.

karen0205

According to the Encyclopedia of Tarot III:

Corinne Pamela Colman Smith, known as Pam to her family, was born on February 16, 1878 at 28 Belgrave Road, Pimlico, Middlesex, England. Her Father, Charles Edward Smith, an American Merchant and her mother Corinne Coleman Smith are believed to have been from Brooklyn.

The ancestry of her mother foreshadows Smith's interest in mysticism and the occult. The Colmans had been for several generations followers of the mystic philosopher and visionary Swedenborg. Artistic roots also lay with Smith's ancestors. Her great-grandfather and his wife both wrote children's books and her grandfather was a painter of the Hudson River School. Her great-grandfather's brother published prints and was proprietor to what may have been the first art gallery in New York City. Through her mother, Pamela was related to Joel Chandler Harris, author of the Br-er Rabbit stories.

Although some published sources suggest that Pamela was raised in Jamaica, she and her family actually moved frequently, spending time in London, Kingston and New York City.

-----------------------------------
It sounds like her parents were both from the US but nothing more than that.