5 of Pentacles - the bell

Lee

I happened to look at this card this morning and noticed for the first time that the person with the crutches is wearing a bell around his neck.

Could this relate to past times, when people with leprosy or other contagious disease were forced to wear bells so others would know they were coming?

-- Lee

Indigo Rose

That is odd. I just noticed this a few days ago myself.
The only reference I could find about bells came from A Tarot Dictionary by Sandra Thomson. In the Middle Ages bells were believed to ward off misfortune and conjure up good spirits.
I am not sure if that is the meaning here, however.
Indigo Rose

TemperanceAngel

Bells also represent the element Water and the emotions.
XTAX

poivre

I'm just taking a guess & suggesting that maybe it means that the person in the picture is trying to communicate with someone. Just thinking about the bell being around the neck area.
Bell is bringing notice to words.

lark

Lee said:
I happened to look at this card this morning and noticed for the first time that the person with the crutches is wearing a bell around his neck.

Could this relate to past times, when people with leprosy or other contagious disease were forced to wear bells so others would know they were coming?

-- Lee
Lee, I've read about the leprosy connection and that lepers used to have to shout "Unclean" when they were walking toward a group of people to warn them of there approch.
This helped me to see this card in different ways.
Not only can circumstances dictate our unhappiness but if we see ourselves as inferior it's very hard to ask for help.
Or feel we deserve more out of life.
When I notice the little bell in a reading it often means a lack of self-worth.

Centaur

I had never seen the bell before now. Very interesting. I think that it could have associations with disease and contagion. It could be argued that this might serve to strengthen the associations between this card and anxiety.

It might be argued that in this case, the bell itself is a cultural symbol of anxiety... harking back to a time when the bell was used to warn others of the impending approach of a diseased individual.

This card has always struck me as a having associations with loneliness and general feelings of social exclusion. Again, the bell as linked to contagion could serve to further illustrate this association: I can imagine that these bell-wearing individuals must have had the most solitary and lonely lives.

C

CreativeFire

I also had never noticed the bell around his neck! Thanks Lee for posting this thread - as it has added some further insight to this card.

I agree with the thought of it could represent the old ways of people with disease or contagion having to warn others of their misfortune and approach so people could keep their distance - agree with Centaur that it would have been a very lonely and demoralising existence.

Could also help to indicate that this card is not just about the loss of wealth, faith or material status - but maybe loss of health as well?

Another thought on a lighter side, having spent some time on crutches, there were times that I wish I had a bell or something so people could hear me coming and move out of the way a bit - as it can be quite difficult and tiring to be maneovuring around people in a crowd :)

CreativeFire

poivre

Another idea,
maybe these people are trying to be noticed.
Coming out of darkness or a bad situation...they want to be noticed.

Centaur

CreativeFire said:

Another thought on a lighter side, having spent some time on crutches, there were times that I wish I had a bell or something so people could hear me coming and move out of the way a bit - as it can be quite difficult and tiring to be maneovuring around people in a crowd :)

CreativeFire

Interesting. Perhaps the bell could also symbolic of a cry for help, or a plea for others to be more understanding and sympathetic to the situation of another?

C