New and Newish Books of Interest

fyreflye

The Portable Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic, Paperback – June 30, 2014 by Israel Regardie (Author), David Cherubim (Author, Editor) & 5 more http://tinyurl.com/p6y6ld2 At last this definitive study of GD magick, previously available only as a hardback selling for hundreds, is out in an affordable paperback. A mandatory buy, which is not the same as saying everything in it should be taken at face value.

The Angel & The Abyss: The Inward Journey, Books II & III, Hardcover – September 1, 2014, by J. Daniel Gunther http://tinyurl.com/ksg3xjk A new book by the author of Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, now available finally in paperback.

Aleister Crowley: The Beast in Berlin: Art, Sex, and Magick in the Weimar Republic, Hardcover – June 26, 2014, by Tobias Churton http://tinyurl.com/p5p43rh The latest by the prolific AC biographer. Also available on Kindle.

Zephyros

Very cool. I don't know about the other books, but I'm definitely ordering the Regardie. Although, obviously, there are "ways" to read this without shelling out for the "black brick," I'm happy a more affordable edition is finally coming out and I intend to get it.

Aeon418

The Angel & The Abyss looks interesting. But will it share the same fault as it's predecessor, Initiation in the Aeon of the Child ? I suspect it will.

In the first book there were places where it appears Gunther partially revealed teachings perculiar to his own lineage of A.'.A.'.. These were often presented without full explanation and passed off as official teachings of The A.'.A.'.. It's not surprising that some people were left scratching their heads.
But if you read between the lines of James Wasserman's preface the first book is a political statement.

Despite these misgivings I look forward to reading the new book.

Aeon418

Has anyone picked up a copy of Gunther's new book yet? I've placed an order, but Amazon is out of stock at the minute. :(

I must say that I am intrigued by some of the Tarot related things I've heard about it. Mysteries of the Averse and the Hierophant's inverted sign of benediction. A new Thelemic pentagrammaton revealed by the N.O.X. formula that necessitates a Kerubic shift as depicted on Atu's V and XXI.

Interesting...

fyreflye

Has anyone picked up a copy of Gunther's new book yet? I've placed an order, but Amazon is out of stock at the minute. :(

Are you talking about Amazon.com? They show it currently in stock with a number of sellers also carrying it new and used. I have the Kindle edition and it's holding a place in line in my backed up reading list. Maybe I'll jump it to the head of the line, but I just started Richard Brody's massive study of Jean-Luc Godard's films so it will still be awhile before I get to it.

Aeon418

Are you talking about Amazon.com?
No. Amazon.co.uk is currently out of stock. There's a couple of third party sellers, but I don't trust them. And that includes the Book Depository. :rolleyes:

fyreflye

Then buy it from Amazon.com. The shipping charges will be higher (though not by much) but you'll save money when the price difference between Amazon.uk ($43.23) and Amazon.com ($29.94) is $13.29.

Aeon418

Then buy it from Amazon.com. The shipping charges will be higher (though not by much) but you'll save money when the price difference between Amazon.uk ($43.23) and Amazon.com ($29.94) is $13.29.
Actually I have considered that. But the last two books I ordered from Amazon.com arrived a little worse for wear. Although in Amazon's defence I believe it was customs inspectors at this end that caused the damage.

I think I will be patient and wait until Amazon UK get it in stock.

From what little I've heard it does sound like a very interesting book. Gunther's assertion that the position of the four Kerubim on Atu's V and XXI is emblematic of the function of the N.O.X. signs, thereby creating a new pentagrammaton, is a real eye opener. That would make both cards symbolic of the formula of the Woman Satisfied (as she is on both cards with the Sword and the Serpent!). And such a pentagrammaton being balanced by Lamed instead of Shin would have a value of 56 - Nuit's number! :bugeyed:

Aeon418

My copy arrived today. It looks very interesting indeed! :)

It's almost twice the size of the first book. Lots of illustrations - many of them Tarot cards. Each chapter corresponds to a Hebrew letter/Tarot card and continues where Book I left off.
Book II - The Angel and the Abyss.

1. Nun - The Self Slain.

2. Mem - The Cenotaph.

3. Lamed - Fruit of the Just.

4. Kaph - Forces of Life.

5. Teth - Forbidden Fruit.

6. Cheth - The Wrath of God.

7. Zain - Brothers.

8. Vau - The Secret of V.

9. Heh - The Unveiling of Love.

The remaining 3 chapters comprising Book III are just images. One image per chapter. I'm not surprised it's been tacked onto the end of Book II because it wouldn't even make a decent sized pamphlet.

Book III - The Hieroglyphic Triad.

10. Daleth - The Bar of Heaven.

11. Beth - This and That.

12. Aleph - N.u.i.t. forms.

I'm not sure why there's no chapter for Gimel. Maybe chapters 10 to 12 together are Gimel? I guess I'll find out once I've finished reading.

fyreflye

Are the pictures in color or b&w? They're b&w on my Kindle. If they're in color on the dead tree version I'll have to break down and buy it. As you say, it's an interesting read. I hadn't expected so much tarot related material.