Marseilles decks for study purposes

Moonbow

(Moderators, if this is better placed in the Marseilles forum, then please move)

I have been reading many threads today on Marseilles decks, and periodically people have asked for recommendations (infact I once did the same myself), particularly when starting a Marseilles collection. Well my small Marseilles collection consists of the following:

Hadar
Grimaud
Heron Conver
Camoin (christmas pressie coming) :D

Now I am at the stage where I would like use the decks for comparison with each other in understanding the symbology and the history. A beginner has to start somewhere.... but where? Firstly, which decks next? Should I be going for a Dodal reproduction or a Noblet, and if so which? Are they easily available?

I would be grateful for all opinions and advise. :)

Fulgour

For some unknown reason, Editions Dusserre has
allowed the following deck to go out-of-print:

Le Tarot de Jean Dodal 1701

It's so alive and full of humour, and it's the real thing!
Images of the Majors are available on-line, though :)

Kissa

The Tarot Set by ThunderBay edition. Ridiculously cheap, repro of the Conver. Got it for 12€ here, in Finland, the last country on earth where you can get tarot decks (almost...) so it must be very widely distributed in the UK. So worth every penny!! Check on Filipas's review on his website.

The Fournier deck, whatever Diana says. Suits have coloured backgrounds but very little/none change is made on the characters/objects original colours.

Tell me how you like the Camoin Jodorowsky (it's this one you are getting, right?) when you get it...

Kissa

Moonbow

Thankyou Fulgour, I've found the link for those that are interested (although I know it is already on the forum elsewhere):

Le Tarot de Jean Dodal 1701

Moonbow

Kissa

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't seen the Thunder Bay deck here yet, but I was reading Mark Filipas' site yesterday regarding this deck. I will look out for it.

The Fournier doesn't appeal to me colour wise, although I have looked at it several times.

Yes it's the Camoin, I had it in my hot little hands straight from France the other day....... only to be snatched away and wrapped up! I'll let you know.

Moonbow

Is the Piatnik worth a consideration do you think? I rarely see it mentioned on these boards.

Fulgour

Piatnik Marseille

Every once in a while I see this deck, and of course
since I don't have it I pause to look long and hard.

This may be someone's favourite Tarot of all time...
but I've been able to resist buying it ~quite often.

Sulis

Moved as per request from Moonbow*

Love

Sulis
co-moderator - Tarot Decks

Moonbow

Fulgour said:
Every once in a while I see this deck, and of course
since I don't have it I pause to look long and hard.

This may be someone's favourite Tarot of all time...
but I've been able to resist buying it ~quite often.

OK Fulgour :D I get where you're coming from, so......... getting back to my original question, do you have any advice or recommendation?

Major Tom

Moonbow* said:
Is the Piatnik worth a consideration do you think?

I'm going to speak up for the Piatnik, because I'm considering that for my own next purchase. The impression I get, is that I may be disappointed in the colours.

I managed to find a mini-Fournier at www.playingcardsales.co.uk, a company based in France, but seem to have bought the last copy. You can find the whole deck at www.tarot.com - for their example of the Marseilles they use a version of the Fournier.

I would certainly recommend a Vieville for study purposes. In many ways the Vieville is the exception that proves the rules. The differences are major from the Tarot of Marseilles. ;) I got mine at the link above.

If you can find a Dusserre Dodal edition - buy it. It appears Flornoy's restoration would be nice - now complete with 78 cards.

I didn't like the US Games/Carti Mundi version but though study have come to respect it. As Rusty Neon says, it closely follows the Dodal. :)

In a recent post, Flornoy mentioned he's working on a complete restoration of the Noblet and that will be worth study.

Indeed, as it is a tradition we study when we study the Marseilles, I'd have to say every example is worth study.