What's with that cat?

Tree Sprite

Every time I draw the Queen of Wands that little black cat just jumps out of the card. It's almost as if the Queen's not quite there - she's thinking about her next project and itching to get away from whatever holds her seated. As soon as she hears the bell, she's off. But that cat is not budging! He's front and centre, guarding against all comers, and totally focused on the game. So who's really in control?

blackadder

I agree, the cat also stand out for me on that card. It is almost as though it is the main thing on the card. The Queen of Wands, just happens to be there.

Tree Sprite

You know, the minute after I posted it hit me - let your instinct do the work - and the more the conscious mind fades out of the picture, the better the instinct works!

vision777

i'm glad i have the hanson-roberts deck because the cat in my deck is a brown and yellow tabby and he is snuggle up sleeping peacefuly. i don't know how you all can deal with that black cat getting ready to jump out. to me that sounds a little disturbing lol . maybe that cat is trying to tell you something the queen can not .

Rogan

Also, according to afro-cuban folklore, a black cat sitting with its tail pointing up is indication of luck changing for the better in regards to that which you hold dear...

blackadder

I always associate black cats with a witches familiar. I think that is the reason that he jumps out at me.

Also, according to afro-cuban folklore, a black cat sitting with its tail pointing up is indication of luck changing for the better in regards to that which you hold dear...

I've never heard that before. That will have to go into my journal.

Michael

I think the cat represents domesticity and playfulness and the queen is the ruler of hearth and home. A cat likes to "curl" up in front of the fire. :)

brenmck

According to Eden Gray, the black cat represents "the sinister aspect of Venus."

Care to tell us about it, Tree Sprite? ;)

~B~

The_Star

sitting down......

Tree Sprite said:
Every time I draw the Queen of Wands that little black cat just jumps out of the card. It's almost as if the Queen's not quite there - she's thinking about her next project and itching to get away from whatever holds her seated. As soon as she hears the bell, she's off. But that cat is not budging! He's front and centre, guarding against all comers, and totally focused on the game. So who's really in control?

The cat is a symbol of the Queen's inner condition. Cat's are highly meditative and self contained. The Queen is able to sit down because of a high level of attainment. She has attained a type of meditative state that includes having turned off the 'lunatic' that continually chatters in nthe undisciplined mind. She knows that outer conditions are mere reflections of inner conditions. Like the cat, the Queen is well fortifed regarding protecting herself. However, as a Queen she is NEVER attacked.... she is at one with inner peace.... no inner dialogue..... she rests comfortably within her inner scanctuary.
The cat is black (RWS) because it is unfortunate for anyone to approach the Queen (crossing past the cat) who is uninvited.

RChMI

Cats have been commonly looked upon as female, regardless of their actual gender. The Queen Wands is attributed to Aries, but on the Piscean Cusp. Having the cat there can be indicative of the feminine/watery aspect of Pisces, as well as having it black could also be indicative of the mutable nature of Pisces.