I succumbed...just shoot me now

M-Press

Very interesting...Hudson Grey...

As a non-cat lover (baba tries hard, but then my best friend tells me how they'd walk on my computer, bed and belly, and I give up), I think that these cards would be definitely loved by cat-people!
(what a paradox! what's wrong with me today???)

What i mean is, that although it combines marseilles+cats, the most important factor will be the cats, and in this case...why not new names, that purrrr?

That would show an addition on an extra level, not just something for the art, but for the editorial side of it...
And knowing your work Hudson, i'm SURE your solutions and names, will be a craft by themselves...

and regarding the amount of cards (22):
Well, I see THIS as the perfect gift for all my non-tarot-cat-lover friends!!!!
AND a great way to introduce them to tarot...via back door!!!)

he..he..he...

i think you have something there!
:)

HudsonGray

Laying it all back in my lap isn't helping!

But thanks! There's some good suggestions here-I didn't think about side by side names. I'll see what a mockup looks like. I can't put the name in French on top & English on bottom like Lo Scarabeo because the roman numerals are up there already.

Oh, that 'bad joke' is sort of modern. I stuck a mouse in his paw, told my sig. other about the historical thing the real Bateleur was holding & he busted out laughing saying 'I like how your mind works!' ????? Apparently a guy will tell another guy 'your mouse is showing' if his zipper is open... I didn't do it on purpose, maybe my subconscious did it, I don't know, but it does fit.

Now you've got me thinking on the minors. That raptor claw in Jurassic park--what if a claw stood for swords on the suit, all hanging in the air...catnip plants for wands.....cat headed coins for pentacles, water dishes for cups... nothing set in stone, I'm just thinking.

If it wasn't in color, it would be easier doing 78 cards cost effectively. Though I've got all these metal AOL boxes (about 50) that would be perfect spray painted, decopaged with a card & used as containers for the 22 card deck. See I was even thinking packaging.

skytwig

HudsonGray said:
Now you've got me thinking on the minors. That raptor claw in Jurassic park--what if a claw stood for swords on the suit, all hanging in the air...catnip plants for wands.....cat headed coins for pentacles, water dishes for cups... nothing set in stone, I'm just thinking.

Great ideas!!!! yes, yes, water dishes ...... and catnip branches ..... yes!!! maybe the cats could be sharpening the claws..... one claw, two claws....... 10 claws :eek:

If it wasn't in color, it would be easier doing 78 cards cost effectively. Though I've got all these metal AOL boxes (about 50) that would be perfect spray painted, decopaged with a card & used as containers for the 22 card deck. See I was even thinking packaging.
You know.... you don't have to have color.... the Hello Tarot doesn't and it's really cute...... Marseilles people would 'get' the humor of it anyway...... color or no color........

Nevada

I can't wait to see them. I still need a Marseilles deck...

Nevada

Imagemaker

I love black and white decks. I'd love to acquire this one! Sometimes impromptu creations don't need to be "fully developed" to be wonderfully perfect!

Diana

Don't forget that the Fool has no number; and the XIII has no name.

If you give a number to the Fool, and a name to XIII, no self-respecting Marseille groupie will buy it.

(P.S. I love black and white decks as well.)

Lady Eclipse

Hi HudsonGray,

I love the new ideas. The more you talk about it, the more I want to see it. My personal opinion is it would look even better in color.

Joy to you,
Maralee

HudsonGray

I knew about the no number on the fool, but didn't notice no name on the XIII. What I found really strange was their non traditional (to us now) Roman numerals like XIIII for 14 and XVIIII for 19 insead of what we use now. Too many"I's".

The XIII card, if both English & French are going to be used on the deck, should I leave off the English word then? Or put that on and a dash for nothing in the French, you think?

Swords are curved, Wands are straight, both those fit ok. The Cups though, I don't just want a modern water bowl. Have to go look through some Medieval art sites I think, to see what chalices or water containers look like.

M-Press

Ouaou!
I have never seen the no-number for teh Fool and no name for Death...Lill' things one discovers in the tarot everyday...

I think that if the XIII name is out, then leave it out in both languages...
In a way. "Death" really needs no words!
;)

Diana

HudsonGray said:
I knew about the no number on the fool, but didn't notice no name on the XIII. What I found really strange was their non traditional (to us now) Roman numerals like XIIII for 14 and XVIIII for 19 insead of what we use now. Too many"I's".

The XIII card, if both English & French are going to be used on the deck, should I leave off the English word then? Or put that on and a dash for nothing in the French, you think?

Swords are curved, Wands are straight, both those fit ok. The Cups though, I don't just want a modern water bowl. Have to go look through some Medieval art sites I think, to see what chalices or water containers look like.

HudsonGray: The card that is known in English as Death, is called in French "L'Arcane Sans Nom." (The Arcanum with no name). But we call it that by convention, because it REALLY doesn't have a name.

(Just for fun: look at the Marseille Fool, and the Marseille XIII. One has no name, one has no number. Put them back to back.... suddenly you have a name and a number. Look at the two cards -compare the two figures and you will see many many similarities.)

If you want to do a Marseille based deck, I would not put a name in English nor in French. This card does not have a name and if you give it one, you're not respecting the Marseille tradition.

The reason that VIIII is written like that and not IX, and why IIII is written like that and not IV, also is very important.... it is not by accident. The Tarot journey has a progression. It always goes forward not backwards, and by writing the Roman numerals in this unusual way insists on this point.