Sacred Circle Study

Red Emma

I have a couple of questions, points, something of the kind.

First is that I'm beginning to suspect that I could be the contrarian of the group. In the earliest post in this category, it was suggested that we look at the symbols on the backs of the cards. I hadn't noticed before, but they do indeed have a sword, a rod, a cup, and a disk.

The textured grey background has the feeling of a medieval manuscript. In addition the composition of the four elements, (cup, sword, etc.) and their coloring suggest that they are the tools of a warrior.

I guess I'm saying, and trying to find tactful, gentle words to say, that both the medieval-like background and the symbols could give the impression that they represent a warrior culture.

I guess it puts me off a bit.

Do others have a different interpretation?

Phoenyx*

The Celts were a very war-like culture, not as much so as the Norse, but they were very warlike.

contrascarpe

I'm not up on my Celtic history, but I was going to say the same. I fear it was a sign of the times. This would be no reason to steer clear of the deck IMO. Unfortunately war is a staple of most cultures. Of course, I am still waiting patiently for my deck to arrive in the mail, so I won't comment on the cards until I get them in my hands.

Dan

mj07

hmmm, I didn't get the warlike impression so much as just a Medievil feeling, which I admit I'm not overly fond of. I just find the fact that the backs are not symetrical a bit distracting when doing a spread b/c I'll know ahead of time if a card will come up reversed. Not really THAT much of a problem, just a little distraction.

Phoenyx*

Strange, I'm not getting a medival feeling from it, since the weapons seem to be made of gold or bronze, and that would pre-date the Medival times by quite a number of centuries.

Nitegoddess

Red Emma,
I am not into the medieval or celtic ... I just see spiritual. I know that it is probably a good idea to know those things as it would help in interpretating the cards.. but I just dont have that background so I dont comment.
This deck from what I know was Anna Franklin took the pictures and along with Paul Mason's drawings put the deck together. I dont believe that they were looking to portray a "warrior" effect.
This is a quote from The Sacred Circle book from Paul Mason "Our ambition was to produce a tarot that ws rich in Pagan and mythological iconography of the British Isles and Ireland, using photography to give a level of naturalism and sense of place that we felt was lacking in other cards."
I dont know if this is what you were looking for but I hope it helps.

Red Emma

Sacred Circle STudy

Yes, thanks, Nite Goddess.

It occurs to me that I should have another go at the book. Trouble is that our has has been reoganized a couple of times since I bought the deck and I can't find it.

Nitegoddess

Red Emma,
You know when you are meant to find it .... it will be found.

contrascarpe

Bummer

I got home today and voila!, my package from eBay with my Sacred Circle set. Unfortunately I had to go work out and delay my excitement for an hour and a half.

So I got home and I ripped the package open and started going through the cards. By the time I reached the minors I started getting suspicious about something. Yup, the King of Swords is missing. Figured then that maybe it was out of order so I continued. Another card missing, then another. I finally stopped and counted them. There were a total of 8 cards missing and this was a sealed deck!

A note went out to the seller so I am waiting to hear if I can get a replacement but what a disappointment after waiting so long.

Dan

Nitegoddess

So sorry to hear that Dan :(.. I know when I seen my package I was so excited. I hope they can send you another deck. I would ask if they would ship it overnight at their expense due to their mistake. Just a thought. In the meantime... take a look at the Ace of Swords. That is the card we are working on this week. Might as well use them while you are awaiting their reply. :)