Robin Wood - 3 of Cups

CelticGirl

This card is definately one of my favorites in this deck, I love the artwork in this card. I would have to say I have only drawn this card in a reading maybe once since I have owned this deck.

This card is of three women dancing around in a circle with a cup in their hand. One with long black hair in a royal blue dress, one with flowing red hair and a emerald green dress and the last with long blonde hair in a pink dress. The are dancing in the grass in what appears to be on the outskirts of a forest. The have baskets of what appear to be this seasons harvest. And the thing that first caught my attention about this card was that each cup has a symbol of the moon phase on it. Which also represents the triple goddess, Maiden - Mother - Crone. )0( To me it looks like they are celebrating after some good hard work.

YogaSpider

I like this card very much in the Robin Wood deck... the women look so Elfish... and so happy!

I just love the images in the Robin Wood deck.

Love&Light,
YogaSpider

annik

They seems to danse spontaneously. And they seems to enjoy the moment. It is a good card to look at! They seems to celebrate something.

CandyApple

Ever heard the song "Sisters"? I started humming that song when I was looking at the card for my response. I agree they are celebrating. I think they are celebrating being who they are. They are free and happy with themselves.

They are taking time out of being who they have to be in the "real" world and celebrating being who they are. So I guess i would use this card to mean...don't forget to take time out for yourself. Take a bubblebath..go on a girls night out.

CelticGirl

CandyApple said:
They are taking time out of being who they have to be in the "real" world and celebrating being who they are. So I guess i would use this card to mean...don't forget to take time out for yourself. Take a bubblebath..go on a girls night out.

Ooooh, I like that! :)

starrystarrynight

The fact that it's a three doesn't escape me. Once the union of the Two comes about (initial attraction between two people), this three brings the two together to form a third entity--the couple as one.

But I wonder why the symbolism of three people dancing?

I've had this one come up for my own personal readings quite a bit lately where the feelings of three people (not a lovers triangle--but a case where if the two principals get together, a third party will inevitably be involved) are the focus and each of their needs and desires have to be considered.

I've seen the Three of Cups described in other decks as a rare and beautiful kind of love that many people search a lifetime for and few people ever find...now, that's how I like to look at this card!

Little Baron

This is actually one of the cards I like least in this deck. It just doesn't seem to have as much depth as the others. The girls, for me, have little substance and personality. They do not appear to care about each other.

I see a '3' as growth. A move forward. Adding something to the mixture. Development.

Thinking of the Empress, it may be some kind of nurturing. But generally, it is emotional development. If you met someone in the '2', then that relationship is beginning to take shape. The emotional side of cups may suggest a stronger bond. The number may hint at picking up speed. And with this, like the girls, you are having fun, which is why the card may often be used to describe celebrations, fun nights and groups of friends.

But there is a shadow side, also. This fun you're having - don't have too much now! You may need to moderate yourself and limit the amount of those glasses you drink.

Looking at the floor, there is fruit. And what looks like a tamborine. There are grapes in the trees to be picked. This is a time for emotional nourishment. It is a time for taking picnics and walks amongst nature. It may be a time when '2 become 1' - pregnancy through love (cups) may be in line.

Just a few ideas, LB

spinningspider

Three of Cups

I love Robin's "Three of Cups," illustrating three of my fave, mythological characters, the Three Fates. Wikipedia explains these Greek-myth gals as: "Klotho spins the thread of life, Lakhesis determines the length of the thread and Atropos cuts the thread when the proper time has come for death. They are also called the Moirai to denote their descent from Moira, the original goddess of Fate. They are not to be confused with the Furies, who are the daughters of Nyx (Night). They laugh at our feeble attempts to cheat them because they always prevail. They are also known as the Moiras or Keras."

And while Robin does not illustrate her Fates as fiber-working or handspinning women, they still retain the unique character/personality that each Fate possesses; differing decidedly from each other. I find it wonderful that Robin included moon-symbolism on the cups the women are holding: the new moon for the past, the full moon for the present and the waning moon for the future...very helpful during readings, especially if one moon stands out over another. Robin wrote in her book, "The three maidens represent the past, present and future. Here they all come together, and all is fortunate. ...and they dance, united in their joy; concurring in good fortune." And good fortune, is indeed the key words that Robin listed for the Three of Cups. The Three of Cups suggests that, perhaps for now, one can and/or should rejoice at the day at hand. Sure, we all get older. Sure, someday we'll pass from the life we now know. But if this card shows up in a reading, one could consider themselves blessed and fortunate for living NOW and for all the blessings bestowed on them, even if they're only small things to be grateful for.

When I see the Three of Cups, I personally think of the bond I have with my women-friends. 'course I'm never totally tied into gender, age, race, culture, etc...despite what's been drawn on a card. But seeing the Three of Cups reminds me of good times I've spent, am spending or will spend in the company of friends...be we ever so diverse in our backgrounds, way of thinking, priorities, age differences, etc. A gathering of such friends demonstrates how we (or reminds us to) respect each other's differences and opinions, even if we disagree with them.

These three gals in the Three of Cups needn't be necessarily actual friends at all. They can be acquaintances, fellow employees, members of a group(s) you belong to, etc. The Three of Cups can act as a reminder of how differing people can come together for the common good IF all parties remember to share, trust, rely on each other, work together, help each other, and contribute to a healthy, team spirit.

The Three of Cups can simply exhibit a joyful, happy mood. Or, if reversed, the blockage of such feelings. It's such an exhuberant card, that often brings a smile to the querent and reader when it shows up in a spread.

bryghtrose

I'm a dancer. So my opinions of this card are filtered through what I do, and it's particularly interesting to read everyone else's opinions of this card, and notice that no one else picks up on the performance aspect of this card.

To be able to dance with that much joy and abandon, and to make it look that good, you have to put in a lot of practice and work. You have to devote your whole heart to it, so that when you hear the tune, you just start moving. You trust your partners to cover you, to be at the right place at the right time, so that everyone moves in harmony and cohesion.

The three woman have put in so much time and practice into their dancing (or their art, or whatever) that they are able to do it almost without conscious thought. The music they're dancing to has bypassed their mind and moved right to their body, and the body, mind, and music work together to produce something that transcends the personal and moves into the universal.

My first thought when seeing this card is of joy. The joy that comes from dancing and physical movement, and also the joy of performance. Also, there is love here. No one devotes that much time and energy to something without loving it completely.

CandyApple said:

I don't see this as being separate from the "real" world. This isn't about retreat or a time-out. This is very real. Performance art is so physical, so real.

Little Baron said:
Thinking of the Empress, it may be some kind of nurturing. But generally, it is emotional development. If you met someone in the '2', then that relationship is beginning to take shape. The emotional side of cups may suggest a stronger bond. The number may hint at picking up speed. And with this, like the girls, you are having fun, which is why the card may often be used to describe celebrations, fun nights and groups of friends.

To continue with the Empress, the girls in this card have nurtured their talents. Yes, they are celebrating, but it is the kind of celebration that comes after years of practice. Or maybe a cast party, but not a frat party or girls' night out. I see that kind of casual celebration indicated by the 9 of Cups.

This is also a card that can signify performing arts: theatre, music, dance,

Ravenne

Bryghtrose, I see your point and I fully agree with what you wrote about what it takes to perform in such a way. I had this card in a reading yesterday and as i'm still busy with it, I can really relate to what you say. It's spot on.
Shame no one seems to post in the Robin Wood section anymore :(

Ravenne