Website suggestion

Simple

Hi all, here's my situation. I wrote a short story few years ago when I first moved to US and was struggling to learn English. Now, I'm thinking of publishing it in paperback through crowd-funding. Is there a website out there that I can suggest donation for my project if I give them a short reading? I know I'm not a pro so it might be a limitation but asking straight out people to donate is 1000000 times harder. Any suggestion will be appreciated! :)

tarotbear

Is your short story about Tarot? If it isn't, there is no connection between getting a book published and offering people free readings for their donation. That would be like asking for donations to buy a car and offering ice cream cones to the people that donated. Usually people that use Kickstarter for funding a project offer a free copy of whatever it is for a minimum donation of $XX.

How long is your short story? There are many places where you can self-publish a book that has at least 20 pages.

Simple

Hi Tarotbear,

I know it's a long shot. No, my story is not about tarot. My story is more than 100 pages. I want to get it edited and published but I don't have the money. I'm using inkshares for the project, not kickstarter. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep the story to myself.
Thanks for replying though. I literally had nowhere to ask :D

tarotbear

If you can get someone to edit it for you, you can get it published on Createspace cost free. All you will have to buy is a paper copy of the book to proof it. Then your book will be up for sale on Amazon.

Good luck!

Simple

If you can get someone to edit it for you, you can get it published on Createspace cost free. All you will have to buy is a paper copy of the book to proof it. Then your book will be up for sale on Amazon.

Good luck!

Thank you tarotbear! I'll look into it.

Grizabella

It sounds more like you have a novella rather than a short story or book length novel. Maybe since you wrote it several years ago, it might pay to go back and edit it, adding some length and other things you could do that might make it more of interest and it couldn't hurt if you did add some element of Tarot to it. Tarot is a popular topic these days and I've seen people talking here about what books they could read that are novels that involve Tarot.

The Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck is one novel that has Tarot in it, but oddly enough, it's the one thing by Steinbeck that I've never managed to stay interested in long enough to read the whole novel. He's my favorite author but I've read everything else he's written multiple times but not that one clear through even once.