Tarot in the future.

Farzon

I also see a great potential for Tarot in crowdfunding... right now I wait for the Prisma Visions and the Fountain Tarot to be released!

I also think besides the big publishers like Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo there is a lot potential in smaller publishers like Magic Realist Press of they manage to build up a loyal fan base. But even if the times are a-changing and media keep accelerating our lives, real fans are still as loyal as ever. The publishers and artists will have to deal with new media and marketing, though to get attention in the first place.

Think of how fast the Prisma Visions was funded and how long it took the Fountain Tarot, because they just had a bad strategy regarding incentives.

happyfish

Lots of interesting ideas here. My guess is we'll continue to see the paradigm shift that's already happening - tarot is being perceived more and more as a tool for counseling & self-reflection. I think it will always have some association with prediction and fortune telling, but I think the alternate methods will continue to move into the forefront.

Zephyros

I actually don't see it changing that much. Considering how long Tarot has been around, it is quite remarkable how little it has changed, when looking at the big picture. There have been slight permutations in structure and symbolism, but all in all it has remained pretty stable.

While there will of course be changes, in general I think Tarot tradition "breathes" not in the span of a few years, but in the span of centuries. Most spiritual traditions are like that, and are relatively immune to fads of the moment. About a hundred years ago there was a spiritual Renaissance of sorts, in which Tarot was completely revamped. Considering the popularity of the RWS, I think we are still living in the tail end of that revolution, which will take a few years yet to run its course. This actually fits the pattern of Tarot history, in which major changes happened every century or so, on average.