Your own quirks, peculiarities, and habits...

lalalibra

Another thing that I think is interesting. When I read Daniel's post saying he does this, I thought it sounded really sweet and I began to wonder if anyone did this with the 3rd eye too. Then, your post! :) I should try it. I actually have a reading to do for someone, its due by Friday--so perhaps I'll try this when I start her reading today. If it works out well, I'll come back here and update.

I love when that sort of thing happens!! And I'm interested to hear about it if it does! :)

I do this as well if I want to clear my head. I've also used a particularly comforting deck if I'm stressed or have a headache. I can't say if it works or not but it certainly doesn't hurt.

That's so cool GlitterNova! (Do you mean with your third eye or heart chakra?) Because I do that too but with holding the deck to my heart. I think it works, at least through belief. It reminds of me holding a stuffed animal or something like that; something which carries meaning for you and brings comfort. :)

Grizabella

I just noticed another one for me. If the last card in a spread turns out to be the Wheel of Fortune, I always draw at least one other card after it just to see what the change is going to be. I can't always tell, but sometimes it will be intriguing enough that I pull one or two more, but usually just the one.

SeekingLife

I always have the habit of beginning my shuffle by dropping a few at a time from one hand to the other. Then I feel they've been "cleansed" of the past questions, and I can resume to the next one in which I shuffle them normally on a surface. I don't like to use reversals, so I don't shuffle top to bottom but side to side and very lightly to avoid bending. However, I often will get reversals anyway as some cards will fall and as I pick them up to place them back, they are reversed. I guess that's my deck's way of giving me a reversal it requires. When shuffling, I always look for the break in the deck that alerts me to where I should split the cards instead of creating my own. I notice a lot that the cards in this break are ones that show up in certain readings a lot. I had lately The Lovers coming up. Each time I split the deck, the Lovers came up as the cards where it split two or three times in a row. And my cards are not bent, so it's no different physically than any other card. I always notice when a card turns itself as I am shuffling...and that card again will end up my readings even if I've shuffled the deck 5 or 6 times after it originally appeared.

FLizarraga

Reordering to reset it and reacquaint myself with it --yeah, me too! :)

And cutting with my left hand, never the right --and I'm right-handed. Don't know why, it just feels... right.

moon_light

I NEVER order my cards. Never. I believe that all the readings connect to each other and by reordering them, I'd break the energy. No matter what comes out of them, it is what it is and is a part of the whole.

I currently only have one deck and the first time I pull them out every day, I quickly go through and look at every card. Not the full image, I just shuffle through them and make sure that I've seen at least part of every card. I kind of personify them and feel like they need attention every day.

Sometimes I talk to my cards, thanking them or telling them how I feel about them.

Edit: I forgot to add, I systematically rotate which card is on top of the deck when facing up. I put rocks on them and leave them like that until next time. Just giving them all some good energy, or whatever.

Tarot Orat

Every time I shuffle (I do it 7 times before each new reading) I take about 1/5 of the cards from the top of the deck and put it at the bottom.

ctrymaus

I never re-order the cards. It took long enough to get them randomized, why would I make extra work for myself? :p

What I do with a new deck is "dissolve" it: deal out all the majors this way: 11 cards, then 11 more cards on top; then I pick the stacks up randomly and put them aside. Deal out the minors in 14 stacks of 4 as randomly as possible, then pick those stacks up randomly. (I dissolve playing card decks too). Then I go through the minors, inserting a major every two or three cards. Then I overhand shuffle all of it. Then I hold the deck in my left (non-dominant) hand and rap it with the knuckles of my right hand. Then I fan out the cards, hold them to my heart chakra, and ask blessings upon the cards.

I've come to do that clearing/blessing thing before each reading now.

I usually talk to the cards about what the question is going to be and explain the spread to them while I'm overhand shuffling. Or just ask if the saints/angels/fairies/holy helpers have a message for me if I'm not doing a specific spread. Then after enough overhand shuffling, I hold the cards in both hands and shuffle back and forth, over and under, taking out whichever cards pop out or stick out and say "pick me!".

When I'm finished with a reading, I thank the cards and shuffle again. I "seal" the deck in this way: I find a couple "good" majors and put one on top and one on the bottom. Then I put the deck back in its box or bag.

I can't think of any other things I do that are special in any way. :)

CountryMouse

Audelia

Loving this thread - it's so cool to see that I'm not the only one with a quirk when it comes to my cards.

My quirk is that I will never put my cards away if the base card has a slightly negative meaning. For example, if the 10 of Swords is on the base, I'll shuffle until it's replaced by something 'happier' like The Sun or the Nine of Cups :)

Kissa

I never re-order the cards. Except if I am sending the deck to someone in a trade.

I always look at the card at the bottom of the deck before I put it back in the box/bag. Like Audelia, I will not put it away with a sad or too negative card.

Kissa

Pelagia

I'll go through my deck after a reading to change any reversals I may have but I won't re-order mine either. I'll also store them with a few crystals too.

Pelagia.