Would making your own deck...

ellpi

Making your own deck is awesome :) it's so much fun, it's sometimes challenging, because of the number of cards and the time and dedication that's required to "finish". If you enjoy the process though and use what you really want too without outside influence to represent each card, you should have a wonderful time, you'll find out more about the symbolism as you work more into each card looking for colours and objects. I love getting creative and this is a great way to connect to the energy of the cards from within your own understanding. Even if it doesn't make it easier for you to read, it's very worthwhile. :)

Freder

Absolutely yes, if you have put some effort into the work. When you design a card you're taking command of the imagery, and becoming intimately connected to it. The resulting deck is literally a part of you, an outward refection of your substance (and so in taking on thetask you should be just a little bit afraid).

Not only that, but -- the work also helps you read many other decks more proficiently as well. I'm not a master and never will be, but now I can look at the cards of almost all the decks I own and understand their basic language almost as well as I understand speech (which is perhaps not saying much: whether its Aspergers or tinnitus or something else, the simple fact is that I understand the spoken word with difficulty).

Anyway -- I absolutely recommend it to everyone, even if your goal is not to publish, because the work itself, if you are doing it right, WILL make you a better reader. There is a reason why self-designing your own deck was a requirement within the Golden Dawn.

CelestialHorse

I don't have any personal experience to back this up, but my suspicion is that self-made deck would likely work less well for reading with. Ever since I started taking a serious interest in Tarot, I recognised the main thing I was hoping get out of it - advice from an 'outside' perspective. I've never formed strong opinions on whether "what the cards say" is all provided by my subconscious, or whether I'm being guided by some greater power - what's important is that it comes from something that's not my deliberate, aware, conscious train of thought.

Creating my own deck would strip away one important aspect of that. When I read a deck created by someone else, I get their perspective on each card. This is why I really like having several different decks! - because that perspective is just a little bit (or sometimes a big bit) different with each one. Even those that are generally classed as 'clones' in the same tradition (e.g. RWS, Marseilles, Thoth) will have a slight shift in focus - even if the very lineart is identical, the shading can change the way the card feels. (Case in point, I posted just the other day my feelings on the Radiant RWS I bought to replace the original-style RWS I first owned).

When I use the cards, it feels like looking through a window and seeing something outside of myself (quite literally: that's one of the reasons I don't care much for borderless decks - the border to me is the 'window frame'). With a deck I'd created myself, it would be more like looking at a mirror, seeing only aspects of myself reflected back at me.

(...And yes, maybe that says more about my limitations and lack of imagination than anything.) I do wonder, how many people who've created their own decks find they use them primarily/exclusively over any other decks they own?

That said, I do think that creating a deck would be a really valuable thing to do, as an exercise in learning more about the cards, and potentially as a tool for discussing your interpretations with other people. And while I probably wouldn't use my hypothetical self-made deck for primary readings, I might well use it as a 'reference', for clarifying readings I've otherwise struggled to interpret (similar to how I sometimes use my RWS, as mentioned in the aforelinked post).

Regardless of whether I used it, or how well it worked, I admit I'd love to own a self-made deck: shame I have no artistic ability whatsoever. :(
Yeah that makes sense :) About how making your own deck would take away important aspects. that's why I wouldn't fully trust my own deck but I guess it just takes time with any deck really, getting to know them and what not. :) Aww, you can download pictures from google or something and paste them onto index cards. That's what I'm going to do. But I guess I can do mix media, like use screen shots but add in some of my own art like adding swords, wands, cups and pentacles. I just have to figure out how to do those cards for my own deck XD (I had to pick the smaller cards because I got small hands -.-)

I think that depends on quite a few things. Even if the art is not an issue (as you're going to borrow from your favorite show), it's still a question of symbols, because, like you said, you can never be sure that the symbols/scenes you've personally picked are actually the best ones that would work for you. Even if, being a set of images created by someone else (the show artists), they do represent the necessary degree of outside perspective, which is something I agree about with Zyfe.

Personally, I've only managed to finish a testing prototype of one deck so far. As of now, it's one of my primary reading decks, but only for personal readings. I did try it once to do a dozen readings for others, and it did work very well, though.

I love this deck because, due to - or despite - the fact that I actually didn't consciously pick its symbolism, it reads very well both intuitively and within the structure I've defined for it. :) However, I can't imagine anyone else reading with it, as the symbolism is highly personal. :D That, in fact, probably makes it a level below the 'store' decks, because they have something my deck lacks - being universally understood.

Having said all that, I can't agree more with Chronata: it's so much fun creating your own deck that even if it never gets finished, the time you spend playing with it and picking images is well worth it.

Good luck with your creative endeavor, and have fun! ;)
Oh I'm sure it is fun :) It's just fun to do other things and trying new things :) I do agree it would be a bit tricky finding the right screen shot or whatever for that particular card. Gotta do some thinking and what not. XD

If I ever wanted to stop learning about tarot, I would incorporate what I know into my own deck and just use that. However, after 45 years of Rider-Waite, and, more recently, Tarot de Marseille and Thoth, I have a well of symbolism and mystery which will never run dry. I use tarot mostly for self development, not as a fortune telling tool.
It seems cards are more developmental for me with advice, I dunno, weird, more than fortune telling. I guess my cards want me to really heal first, though I am in that Saturn return phase where I have to grow up and in crisis mode. Just have to figure out myself.

Making your own deck is awesome :) it's so much fun, it's sometimes challenging, because of the number of cards and the time and dedication that's required to "finish". If you enjoy the process though and use what you really want too without outside influence to represent each card, you should have a wonderful time, you'll find out more about the symbolism as you work more into each card looking for colours and objects. I love getting creative and this is a great way to connect to the energy of the cards from within your own understanding. Even if it doesn't make it easier for you to read, it's very worthwhile. :)
Indeed :) I do look forward to doing this. I have been thinking about it for years but I should just do it because I think I will always wonder and think about it. :) I guess if it keeps being on my mind, it means my creative side is really wanting me to do it :p Or my guides or whatever out there is trying to make me feel better about life and distract me from outside problems?

Absolutely yes, if you have put some effort into the work. When you design a card you're taking command of the imagery, and becoming intimately connected to it. The resulting deck is literally a part of you, an outward refection of your substance (and so in taking on thetask you should be just a little bit afraid).

Not only that, but -- the work also helps you read many other decks more proficiently as well. I'm not a master and never will be, but now I can look at the cards of almost all the decks I own and understand their basic language almost as well as I understand speech (which is perhaps not saying much: whether its Aspergers or tinnitus or something else, the simple fact is that I understand the spoken word with difficulty).

Anyway -- I absolutely recommend it to everyone, even if your goal is not to publish, because the work itself, if you are doing it right, WILL make you a better reader. There is a reason why self-designing your own deck was a requirement within the Golden Dawn.
Yeah :) Sounds like a great learning experience! Ugh I really need to do some tarot online classes -.- I just get in my own way D: XD Though maybe I will have a better relationship with the Kings,Queens,Knights after making the deck, because I HATE those cards D: They confuse me lol.

ellpi

I am new to the forum, so I have no idea how to quote properly but...

"I just get in my own way D: XD Though maybe I will have a better relationship with the Kings,Queens,Knights after making the deck, because I HATE those cards D: They confuse me lol. "

what is it about the Kings and Queens that you don't like? I guess you mean that you resist reading them or are blocked because you have told yourself that they are confusing :).
Be gentle with your mind and remember that each suit has a connection to our own story. The swords are our thoughts, the cups are our emotions around those thoughts, those emotions drive motion (emotion creates motion). The wands are the movement, the pentacles are the result, the outcome! When you connect this theory to the leaders of the court cards you can attribute,
King Swords- as a person, analytical, decisive, strong, powerful, capable. If he is reversed this can mean that he is not fulfilling his life as his authentic self. I see reversals as an indicator that the person is not paying enough attention to the story/energy of the card, that they are "not getting it" until they learn the energy of the card and move with it things within that story will challenge them.
As a situation, this could be a time to connect to your mind to overcome a situation, to release emotional baggage in order to succeed. Obviously there are legal energies and military connections, but the message is all about the mind and its authentic nature even when it comes to the court cards. Kings are the leaders of the cards so they take on that role of ruling over the lessons/experiences learnt before in each card.
If you can imagine this, then imagine that each ruler is adapt to each card that came before them, imagine that every story that the previous cards tell is a truth that the leader has experienced/endured and embraced. Keep in mind the personality of the card, so that you intuitively know what energy that would bring to the character :)
Queen Swords- as a person she has similar attributes to the king. Usually the Queen is focussed on getting to the bottom of things fast and doesn't tolerate emotion. This could be and often is because of deep grief. The Queen of Swords is often a widow or a woman that has endured a great deal of emotional distress, and considers her own mind to be the most beneficial weapon of life.
I realise that these two cards have so much more to tell, but I am hoping that this information makes for less "hatred" between you and the cards in the near future :) see them as your friends that have been through each lesson of the earlier cards, then apply that to their personality and see where that takes you, you might be pleasantly surprised by how quickly you start to connect with the Leaders of the court cards after all.

Freder

Court cards are the hardest for anyone to interpret, I think. They represent "a person" -- except when they don't. They represent The Querent -- except when they don't. They represent a Situation -- except when they don't.

CelestialHorse

They just confuse me greatly because I can't get a definite answer out of them :/ Heh, I was thinking last night, I wonder if a made up deck would work well without those cards? D: I mean I think a deck would be able to adjust you think? D:

Freder

No. Well, it wouldn't be a Tarot deck if you took them out, it would be an oracle deck.

Alas, we must all come to terms with the Court Cards. Making your own deck is a great way to do it!

DT

blue_fusion

Beware. Making your own deck can get addicting. And you end up having the deck creation version of tarot collecting addiction. :D

CelestialHorse

Ah yeah, I guess I will figure out what to do for Kings, Queens and Knights. Maybe there's a site that has an easy, short and sweet description of the cards?

Art in general is addicting, anything creative and imaginative XD I'm glad I took art classes my therapist hosted, it just gave me a nudge to create and draw more that I have ignored for so long.

frejasphere

Many do find the Court cards confusing or hard to interpret/read, which is quite understandable given their role(s) - Somehow though, I have always really liked these cards. On occasions I might miss (or ignore) the point they are making, yet their ambiguity and talkative side really appeals to me... When a Court card shows up in a reading, it invariably means a conversation ...

Court cards are the hardest for anyone to interpret, I think. They represent "a person" -- except when they don't. They represent The Querent -- except when they don't. They represent a Situation -- except when they don't.

The 'except when they don't' part rings so true :) Court cards like to leave their options open so they can take on different roles when they either 'barge into' or 'quietly appear' to offer advice in a reading... The surrounding cards and the underlying issue can offer clues as to what role the Court card is taking (i.e. is it you (the Querent), the situation, or a person... or perhaps a combination, or something slightly different) Thing about the Court cards is that they always do seem have a lot to say; and for me it has been about just listening, nodding and pondering :)