Would making your own deck...

frejasphere

I'm glad I took art classes my therapist hosted, it just gave me a nudge to create and draw more that I have ignored for so long.

Creativity leads to more creativity - once you start, it does indeed become quite addictive :D
Originally Posted by blue_fusion: Beware. Making your own deck can get addicting. And you end up having the deck creation version of tarot collecting addiction.

So true :)

JOdel

I've created one deck. Mine is not a commercial project since it's fan art. But the copyright holder is one that has always given a green light to fan work (being one of the ones bright enough to recognize that it's all advertising), so I've posted it, and the files on my website along with an URL to a Print-on-Demand company which will print a *single* deck rather than demanding some unfeasibly high minimum number of decks before they will accept a print job*. People who are thinking of doing their own decks might find it useful.

I don't know the policy on posting live links in these forums, so I will describe where to find it. My site is Red Hen Publications, and the url is the typical http stuff followed by; www.redhen-publications[dot]com

The Tarot deck section is to be found in the My Work/Graphics/Ah, Fandom area under the left sidebar flyout of 'A Potterverse Tarot'. The printer's URL is on the 1st page of the detail view of the individual cards.

They did a really good job with my copy. Since they take files in both RGB *and* CMYK, in any of a half a dozen widely used graphics file formats, I suspect that the actual printing is done on something like a high-resolution plotter, probably one of the ones that uses light cyan and light magenta, or some other combination that adds up to more than the usual 4 colors of inks. Quite possibly an Epson.

And since you do the setup yourself (it takes a while to upload and lay out the files, but it's a simple enough process), there is no setup charge. A single copy of a deck of up to 80 cards is $16. Which is around what you would pay for a commercial deck in a shop or maybe on amazon. You can add a dime to the total and get it sent to you in a box. They have a template for doing a custom box, but I didn't bother. The files that I have posted are built on this particular printer's templates, but there are other such printing companies as well. You don't have to use this one. But I have no complaints about their work.

Of course you also pay shipping, but that was always on the table. They don't limit their shipping to the continental United States either.

*Posting fan art or fanfic on the internet is the kind of thing that various original authors usually take a stand on as to whether they approve of or not. This one approves of it, ergo, posting it is all right, and printing it for one's own use is all right too. But it's not all right to try to sell it. I did not release my deck for commercial use.

I found that while actually building the cards was "the project that ate my life" for most of four months, the biggest challenge was to assign which characters from the source universe were to be depicted on which cards, and how. And there was a great deal of back-and-forthing before I finally had that settled. Caveat: I used nearly all canon characters, but since the whole project spun off from a Publication project that's in development, a few of them are depicted in the relevant fanfic's roles.

gregory

I've found it very useful in getting a real understanding of each card. I have six left to do - it's only taken me - what - 7 years, I think - though that is partly because I do have a life, and also because one of my cameras dropped dead, taking some pix to the grave with it. :(

With one exception (I know what I want for an image and - it is photo collage - I have so far failed to find one to photograph !) the ones I am stuck on are - the ones I have most trouble with reading when using generic meanings rather than "just the pictures". That tells me something... I'm not QUITE sure what. But I have certainly taken in a lot of learning on the way...

It was started when I was also doing my first round of the 78 card study, which also helped.

CelestialHorse

I guess I don't have a life :p Ah well it's okay I don't mind, long as I have music to jam to while I do it! :)

What i am doing is capturing screen shots from the cartoon on my computer (by pressing ctrl+alt+prntscn) Then I paste it into Paint MS, then I resize it, then I select the part I want, then wallah! I have made folders in my regular folder for the diff kinds of cards, so wands, cups, etc have their own folder. I am printing out the pcitures Wallet Size, then taping them on index cards :) I was thinking today I want to paint the backgrounds :) I'm very excited and yeah, I agree it's nice to get to know the cards better.

I guess I will throw in the Knights, Kings and Queens eventually :p But hey I want to get to know tarot more so I might as well get to know them eh?

(I did the Majors yesterday, cups and wands today, working on Swords as we speak now!)

I previously wrote down what episodes I wanted screen caps from to best represent the meaning of the card :)

JOdel

Mine was built in low end 3D software, so it was partly a case of what I *could* do as well as what needed to be in any given image. My program of choice is not a modeling program, so I had to compile everything from what commercial models and freebies are available, or can be cobbled into the purpose.

And then, I was basically doing a Rider-Waite homage, so the guidelines were all fairly clear. But a lot of it had to be extrapolated and shifted since the source material is a fictional universe. Tarot art has been a continuing motif in various Exchanges and other fan fests in that particular fandom (Harry Potter), but I don't think anyone had done a deck -- or not that I knew of. Since it would be fan art it would not be a commercial product and not everyone would know of it.

My approach was entirely that of a designer. But then, I do not read the cards. I have several decks, but acquired them all more along the lines of rather small art books.

And my own deck itself spun off from a Publication project in development. First, a half dozen cards to use as decorations in the layouts. Then needing another three when it became clear that one of the volumes needed to be split. Then, since I had nine of them, deciding to complete the Major Arcana. And then finally going whole hog and building a full deck.

Orit

Making One's Own Deck

...work better than ones that you would get from a store? I wonder that sometimes :) In a way I think it would probably because as you create it you're putting your own energy into the cards and what not ya know?

I always think about making my own deck like a fav. cartoon inspired tarot deck! :) I just would need to make an layout of 78 cards and what not XD

(I want to make one based on on the 90s cartoon the Angry Beavers and use it privately and for my own personal use-meaning I won't make copies or anything but I will want to show it to others because I'm like that XD)

I've entertained such thoughts and am still waiting for inspiration.

Orit

How to Make Your Own Cards

How would you go about making them.. I wanted to do my own deck for yrs

Kate, I would draw or paint them by hand or prepare them digitally with 3D programs and image manipulation. I would then go to a printer to scan them or print out the files to the size I would specify, on card stock that I would select. I might then laminate the cards.

Just some thoughts.

rylla

I would LOVE to make my own deck. Especially a collage deck. But I experienced how MUCH work it takes (and TIME), (by doing just one card/year on CTF for a couple of years) I totally gave it up. As I am afraid I would never finish it (don't like doing any project half-way only). And I am a fun of 78 cards decks, making just the majors wouldn't do it for me. Since I am not an artist it would take me a LOT of time (and dedication - that would not be a problem) and life is happening all the time. So many things to deal with - it would only lead to frustration of being pulled away from the process.

Which one is better? (making your own cards vs buying them) I think both. Best to have your own deck and buying others' as well :) Than you have variety.

gregory

I guess I don't have a life :p Ah well it's okay I don't mind, long as I have music to jam to while I do it! :)
Hey no disrespect and kudos and all that stuff. But think on - 7 years, 72 cards. That's not even a card a month. I have no real excuse; I am just very VERY SLOW ! And it's the thinking that does that, as I can put a card together very fast as long as I have the right photos and the idea has hit me. (digital cameras are a wonderful thing.)

Enjoy yourself CH - that's the important thing.

ETA there is actually at least one Harry Potter deck besides the one showcased in this thread. NOT a nice sight, it isn't...

JOdel

Hey no disrespect and kudos and all that stuff. But think on - 7 years, 72 cards. That's not even a card a month. I have no real excuse; I am just very VERY SLOW ! And it's the thinking that does that, as I can put a card together very fast as long as I have the right photos and the idea has hit me. (digital cameras are a wonderful thing.)

Enjoy yourself CH - that's the important thing.

ETA there is actually at least one Harry Potter deck besides the one showcased in this thread. NOT a nice sight, it isn't...

Is there indeed? I know there was an Exchange which was Tarot-based a year or two ago, and quite a few cards were created (by different fans) during it. All of variable artistic merit, but not anything like a full deck.

I'm reasonably satisfied with mine, but I am coming round to the feeling that I ought to have named it after the fanfic rather than simply calling it a Potterverse deck.

I very much enjoyed the project and learned a fair amount about my 3D program working on it. I may do another some day. But haven't a theme to hang one on at present.

Admittedly, I have no idea whether any deck I created would be of any use whatsoever in actually attempting to do a reading, since my approach is soley that of a designer.