Has qaballa been overtaken by science?

dr. farr

While "long winded medieval explanations" might apply to zoharic texts and many traditionalist commentaries upon them, it certainly does not apply to the succinct early (foundational) texts of the Bahir and of the Sepher Yetzirah; nor does it apply to modern commentaries on these texts-nor to modern guides outlining the practical application of the principles involved-by such authors as Mathers, Regardie, Dion Fortune, Gareth Knight, Bosman, Crowley and several other 20th century hermetic kabbalists.

venicebard

lithotherapist said:
While "long winded medieval explanations" might apply to zoharic texts and many traditionalist commentaries upon them, it certainly does not apply to the succinct early (foundational) texts of the Bahir and of the Sepher Yetzirah;
Thank you for this: I agree, for though the Zohar contains some absolute gems, I find the mass of it (the Soncino version, anyway) wordy and interspersed with superstitious shallowness (perhaps a sort of ‘shrubbery’ to hide the gems?) . . .
. . . nor does it apply to modern commentaries on these texts-nor to modern guides outlining the practical application of the principles involved-by such authors as Mathers, Regardie, Dion Fortune, Gareth Knight, Bosman, Crowley and several other 20th century hermetic kabbalists.
Yet these sources you name tend to be lesser by virtue of the fact that they are not medieval—too far removed from the source to be so impatient at unraveling its mysteries—and they are still long-winded! except perhaps for Gareth Knight, and I don’t know who Bosman is (so shoot me) . . .

jmd

I suspect that whether or not one considers a text as 'long-winded' will probably be a consequence of two aspects: whether what is written is valued by the reader and found worthy of reflection; and whether the text is considered to cleave to the topic.

For some readers, texts that are considered rather long-winded (such as Knight or Waite) will for others be just right. Personally, I consider Dion Fortune (and G. Knight's expanded version of the same text) to be on the long-winded side, with much superfluous material.

Even if we do accept AmounrA's description of the inflated string as a two-point three (or more) dimensional object, and even if we can make quantum correlations with the four elements (Earth, Water, Air and Fire), this does not show, in my view, that Kabalah has been superseded by science.

Science formulates and postulates views based partly on observation within the constraints of a conceptual framework that begins as though only that which is directly measurable exists.

Kabalah begins with taking the Torah as sacred and true, and determining its four levels of interpretation (literal, allegorical, symbolic, and 'secret' or revealed).

No matter what science presents, it can be supplemented by Kabalistic reference, and conversely, Kabalah may be freshly re-invigorated with modern relevance by using terms and concepts from modern understanding, whether this comes from the field of psychology or modern physics.

Personally, then, I do not consider that Kabalah has, nor even can, be 'overtaken' by science: the two have different fields - if anything, 'science' seems to me like a finite partial plane contained as a two-dimensional object within a higher-order Kabalistic framework.

venicebard

jmd said:
Even if we do accept AmounrA's description of the inflated string as a two-point three (or more) dimensional object, and even if we can make quantum correlations with the four elements (Earth, Water, Air and Fire), this does not show, in my view, that Kabalah has been superseded by science.
I thought I was clear in saying correlation of particle-types with elements corroborates Qabbalah: for I am defending Qabbalah—in fact counterattacking, since I consider it is science that is on the defensive when reason is template, not sensation. So you and I are on the same side here (though our reasons differ).
Kabalah begins with taking the Torah as sacred and true, and determining its four levels of interpretation (literal, allegorical, symbolic, and 'secret' or revealed).
I, being Gnostic, take ‘Torah’ to mean the alef-bet and the metaphysical and physical understanding underlying it, so I accept your distinction between Kabbalah (as generally understood today) and science but see no such distinction between (the original) Qabbalah and science, merely the patent inferiority of modern scientific understanding to Qabbalistic gnosis or knowledge.
No matter what science presents, it can be supplemented by Kabalistic reference, and conversely, Kabalah may be freshly re-invigorated with modern relevance by using terms and concepts from modern understanding, whether this comes from the field of psychology or modern physics.
Mere analogy such as you describe can bend any which way, more or less: the connection I see is one of symbol, which is precise and firm (however unapparent it may be till pointed out).
Personally, then, I do not consider that Kabalah has, nor even can, be 'overtaken' by science: the two have different fields - if anything, 'science' seems to me like a finite partial plane contained as a two-dimensional object within a higher-order Kabalistic framework.
I agree with this last: understanding that which extends from outer horizon to bodily axis—manifested nature—is a subset of an understanding of that which extends from outer horizon through the body's axis all the way to the inner horizon. Natural science is a subset of metaphysical science.

Dulcimer

Gravity is a myth. Earth sucks!

venicebard said:
venicebard said:
Originally Posted by Dulcimer
The unsound theoretical foundation you mention is Einstein's General Theory of Relativity!

Am I supposed to swoon?

No, but have a little respect. Snearing does not a good arguement make.

venicebard said:
The work of Petr Beckmann (Einstein Plus Two, Golem Press) has made both special and general relativity obsolete, showing all that is needed to derive ‘time dilation’, mass-energy equivalence, advance of perihelion of Mercury, bending of light rays in a gravitational field, and so on is to take force as delayed (by speed of light relative to locally dominant field), rather than instantaneous (‘action at a distance’) and speeds relative to fields, not observers. But yes, general relativity is unsound: an affine connection, utilizing derivatives some of which are Euclidean, is applied to so-called non-Euclidean spaces, in which such derivatives are undefined. (Check it out.)

Beckman is a poor thinker who had to found his own publishing company to get his books into print. Coming up with a hypothesis for an alternative way things work does not make anything obsolete. Merely alternative.
No-one has said relativity suggests force acts instantaneously. In fact by proving that spacetime is an incarnation of gravity (yer locally dominant field) he was able to show that if the sun ceased to exist NOW it would be several minutes before we felt the effect. It was Newtonian mechanics which wrongly predicted an instantanous effect.
Interesting that the examples you mentioned, ie Time dilation, Mass-energy equivalence, bending of light rays, etc were all predicted by relativity. It seems ironic to me that without Einstein (and Mrs Einstein) guys like Beckman would have nothing to hang their ragged theories on.

venicebard said:
Quote:
The creation of a singularity as result of a massive gravitational collapse is entirely in keeping with physics, mathematics, and cosmology.

...which only goes to show how unsound all three are today: do you really believe that a point, which has no extent, can contain a conglomeration of matter? A point can contain nothing.

Who says it does? You are confusing a mathematical singularity - a point at which a function is undefined - with an astronomical singularity - a point of infinite density at the centre of a black hole. The 'point' does not contain matter, it is matter.

venicebard said:
However, it is quite true that motions in the cosmos must be point-like, since otherwise they would be ‘smeared out’ over a volume (or length) and thus consist of ‘an infinite number’ of locations where that motion is occurring, which is of course silly. But it takes more than one location of motion (which you would call quarks but I call partons) to even develop much mass...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

venicebard said:
...so the idea of great conglomerations of mass existing at a single location is just nonsense... but believe it if you wish.

Non-sense? Quite. But just because it doesn't make sense does not mean it can't be real. Perhaps you need to use the OTHER hemisphere.

venicebard said:
But what I was originally referring to was the idea spouted by the black-hole enthusiasts themselves that the laws of physics break down at the event horizon or some such (I really don't follow such shananigans closely).

Then you don't actually know what you're talking about.

venicebard said:
Quote:
PCT is a fascinating idea that certainly challenges the so-called Big Bang model. In many instances the theory raises some interesting alternatives - though it falls flat on its face when it comes to the Hubble relationship and the predicted masses of galaxies.

I would tend to agree on the Hubble thing, but all current models fail on the Hubble redshift. Certainly the assumption (and that’s all it is) that greater redshift equals greater distance AND greater radial velocity is arbitrary. Out of all possible theoretical models of redshift that the one that is the most sensational—an ‘expanding’ universe—is chosen is no surprise, but that does not make it sound science.

Sound science is the willingness to approach all possibilities with an open mind until events prove a definable path. An expanding universe is a REASONable theory given the data and fits in more with Big-Bang theory than for, say, steady state. So scientists follow the data to empirically prove or disprove the theory. That IS sound science.

venicebard said:
I almost let that ‘predicted masses’ comment pass:

Fly 'predicted masses' comment, be free!

venicebard said:
this argument of yours is entirely vacuous,

and yours are hysterical.

venicebard said:
as the only people who need those ‘predicted masses’ are the gravity-worshipers, who can only find 10% of the mass they need to make their equations work as it is! Gravity is entirely negligible in the plasma model and therefore it fails at no such thing. You need to rethink this one.

I need do no such thing. I am not a "gravity-worshiper" - where do you get this kind of rubbish. The "plasma model" is a hypothesis (barely a theory) built in a lab which adds nothing to the knowledge of humankind. It is a reinterpretation of some phenomena already described quite adeqately by other theories. Even should these theories eventually prove unsound, plasma theory will never take their place. Why? You can't have a theory of how the universe works without having a theory about how it ALL works. Because plasma theory is incomplete plasma theory is irrelevent.

venicebard said:
Quote:
...but I'm still on the side of the standard model while the weight of predictive, mathematical, observable, testable, and experimental evidence is in its favour...

What I don’t understand is where you get the idea it is. I hope you’re not still clinging to the original prediction Einstein made about light curving in a gravitational field: the simpler explanation for this is Beckmann’s, where you don’t need a whole new kind of ‘space-time’.

So you don't understand? I am not surprised. Relativistic space-time is not a "new kind of 'space-time'". What relativity shows is that space and time are not two separate mutually exclusive things but are bound together as ONE WHOLE THING. You can't have one without the other. The Assiatic Universe is not made up of space and time, but spacetime! Spacetime is created by massive objects. No matter means no spacetime - AIN SOPh. Matter warps spacetime. Gravity is the product of that warp. Light, which is also matter, bends as it passes through a gravitational field thereby proving that matter warps space. That IS the simple explanation.

venicebard said:
But the eclipse observation in 1919 was one of the chief reasons for physics having made the misstep of Einsteinian ‘relativity’ replacing Galilean (that and failure to understand the concept of a central frame).

You remind me of the woman watching her son march to war. "Look," she says to her neigbour, " everyone's out of step except my boy!"

venicebard said:
Quote:
However, that is beside the point. Only when the Kabbalah, Hermetic or otherwise, can predict or make observably verifiable Laws can it compete with science. Even the well known Hermetic saying "as above, so below" is no longer as true as it was in this age of Relativity vs Quantum mechanics. Although, rather like the now outmoded Newton and Euclid, a case can be made for it in the short term. The Kabbalistic scientific world is shrinking.

Well, Qabbalah in the form I understand it, using bardic numeration and restoring the original order of the twelve simples about the round...

So you are already changing its structure to make it work for you?

venicebard said:
...does actually ‘predict’ some things modern physics has gotten wrong. Two examples:

First, the four particle types confirming alchemy’s four elemental types are prefigured by it even though modern physics thinks it knows better than nature and can reduce these to three by the quark model (defining baryons and mesons as both hadrons as if that ‘cures’ them of being fermions and bosons, respectively, that is, completely different in behavior).

I would argue that the particle types are not elemental but are forces: the elements are not forces, they are states; the three forces are positive, negative, and neutral, which is merely what you are describing below -

venicebard said:
Up (aries) is 8, oxygen and the principle of combustion: the photon (fire). In towards self (capricorn) is 19, potassium, +1 valence electron, thus standing for the lepton (air). Down (libra) is 21, scandium, heaviest nucleus of the 22 (counting LeMat, space) and thus standing for the pi-meson (water), the principle (before quark theory muddied the waters) of nuclear cohesion. And out towards nature (cancer) is 17, chlorine, -1 valence electron and thus standing for the remaining type, the proton or baryon (earth), which is also ‘-1 valence electron’. Moreover, these are placed so as to indicate average or mean spin by height off the ground libra and average or mean charge by relation to the central vertical axis (neutral charge): photon is 'spin one', on top, lepton and baryon 'spin one-half', and meson 'spin zero', photon uncharged, meson coming in all three charges and thus averaging zero, with lepton and baryon electric charge being characterized by (averaging out to, another words) oppositely charged electron and proton.

Who says "Up (aries) is 8, oxygen? How does "self (capricorn) is 19, potassium" equate? What on earth does any of it mean? WHERE does the Kabbalah call "the electron or lepton +1"? These are your labels not Kabbalah.

venicebard said:
Second, whereas we treat the electron as negative and thus indicate current as flowing in the direction opposite that of the actual electrons...

The electron carries a negative charge which balances the positive charge of the proton in the nucleus of the atom. We may choose to see current flowing either as a 'negative' flow of electrons (yeah I know they don't actually flow but it it is simpler to describe it that way) from the negative terminal to the positive or as a 'positive' flow of the ionic charge going the other way when the atom is momentarily bereft of its negative electron (the atom becomes positively charged). I understand that in America you describe electric current as the 'negative' flow but in Britain we describe it in the 'positive' flow. The point is: it doesn't matter which way you view it - it doesn't change a damn thing! The TV still works however you see it flowing. They are both of equal practical value.

venicebard said:
Qabbalah as you can see got it right, by calling the electron or lepton +1. In fact, the whole power of Qabbalah over nature (as expressed through the Great Name) resides in the polarity of +1 numerically (10, neon) versus -1 valence (9, fluorine), which within the Egg (the zodiac, man) are expressed through surrogates 17-chlorine—a -1 BOTH numerically and valence-wise—and 19-potassium—a +1 BOTH numerically and valence-wise—which control the fluids within cells—as vav and yod—while 11-sodium is straight out from chlorine on the same horizontal (at leo on the Cauldron or half-circle twice the Egg’s radius within which it rests, like egg in nest) and controls the fluids outside the cell (Egg)

"the...power of Qabbalah over nature"? Qabbalah is not seperate to nature.
If you still think of Qabbalah as a weapon or instrument with which to manipulate or, worse, control nature then you were born in the wrong century my friend!

And I am still waiting for you to show the Qabbalah can " ‘predict’ some things modern physics has gotten wrong". For your premise to be accepted you would need to; a) predict something, by definition, BEFORE it has been discovered, and; b) prove that science has got it wrong, EMPIRICALLY.

jmd

Fantastic, Dulcimer - thank you for explaining relativity sooooo clearly ;)

You remind me of the woman watching her son march to war. "Look," she says to her neigbour, "everyone's out of step except my boy!"

venicebard

Dulcimer said:
No, but have a little respect. Snearing does not a good arguement make.
Who, exactly, is sneering?
Beckman is a poor thinker . . .
How in the world would you know, you haven’t read him, obviously. If you wanted to debate his ideas, you would have asked for clarification of some of them before ‘diving in head first’.

I returned from work to find your lengthy answer and was delighted to have the opportunity of some lucid exchange, till I read it and saw the emotional, unprepared tone of it. You really pose no cogent argument that I can see, simply emotional rejection of my casual dismissal of certain things I find easily refutable anyway, apparently because you are neither aware of nor curious about precisely how they might be refuted (judging, that is, by your tone).
It was Newtonian mechanics which wrongly predicted an instantanous effect.
Newton, I believe, was neutral on this point, and he certainly rejected ‘action at a distance’. What Beckmann showed was that instead of ‘warping space-time’ and ‘ending up with’ delayed force, you could make the much more natural assumption of delayed force and end up with all the rest of the predictions associated with special and general relativity in a more unified way) without any need for curved ‘space-time’, which, being counterintuitive in the first place, is easily done without (unless one's tenure is based on it of course).
Interesting that the examples you mentioned, ie Time dilation, Mass-energy equivalence, bending of light rays, etc were all predicted by relativity. It seems ironic to me that without Einstein (and Mrs Einstein) guys like Beckman would have nothing to hang their ragged theories on.
You see, here you ‘show your hand’ by missing the point of Beckmann’s book completely: it was written in order to show these same predictions can be arrived at by a much more scientifically fruitful path, one that enables derivation, as opposed to mere ad hoc postulation, of the Schrödinger equation, a thing of great explanatory power in a field in dire need of same.
You are confusing a mathematical singularity - a point at which a function is undefined - with an astronomical singularity - a point of infinite density at the centre of a black hole. The 'point' does not contain matter, it is matter.
It were better to have tried to explain what you actually mean by "the 'point' does not contain matter, it is matter," than to accuse me of ‘confusing’ two identical things, since both are points or locations and thus lack any extent.
Sound science is the willingness to approach all possibilities with an open mind . . .
Really. (Before and after this I skip several emotional ‘sorties’ but must print this one, if simply to hold it up for ridicule:)
The "plasma model" is a hypothesis (barely a theory) built in a lab which adds nothing to the knowledge of humankind. It is a reinterpretation of some phenomena already described quite adequately by other theories.
It is the “quite adequately” that gets the laugh (the rest just digs the hole). And of course when you say, just after that, “Because plasma theory is incomplete plasma theory is irrelevent,” you condemn all of modern science at a stroke, which even I shrink from!
Relativistic space-time is not a "new kind of 'space-time'".
What in the world kind is it, then, for it is certainly not the old kind?
What relativity shows is that space and time are not two separate mutually exclusive things but are bound together as ONE WHOLE THING. You can't have one without the other.
The latter sentence is a tautology (since we are discussing dynamics). The former is simply a dogmatic statement of the ‘innovation’ of general relativity (without noting the arbitrary nature of its application), without any positive argument. (Why am I pointing out the obvious?)
Matter warps spacetime. Gravity is the product of that warp. Light, which is also matter, bends as it passes through a gravitational field thereby proving that matter warps space. That IS the simple explanation.
I will show you, quickly, why this rote explanation you have learned proves nothing: it is based (I will articulate it for you) on the assumption light rays are the closest thing to a straight line possible (in order to define the manifold), but then ‘proven’ by their curvature relative to the straight! You’ll have to do better than that.

There follows some non-cogent posturing, and then you start attacking my understanding of Qabbalah as if it were somehow less than your own, with no given justification (unless I am to apologize for casting pearls in mud), and while I perhaps presume too much in trying to quickly get across in snippets (on this thread) what is a developed structure carefully reconstructed from two decayed branches of the ancient Merkavah trunk, your arrow falls short when you say,
So you are already changing its structure to make it work for you?
I have ‘changed’ nothing: I merely note relationships. Pattern-recognition is not the same as ‘changing’. All I have done is applied the tradition of symbolic numbers that attached to the 22 letters in insular Keltic tradition while following the dictates of Sefer Yetzirah and restoring letter-order in relation to the round (meaning Ezekiel's wheels) to its demonstrable original (based on simple phonetic relationship and the tree-calendar order implied in ogham). That this overlaying of two traditions reveals something profound and ancient is somewhat startling, to be sure, but quite un‘changed’ by me.

Some questioning of the details of Qabbalah’s structure follow: if this is serious and not merely rhetorical, let me know and I’ll gladly address it as such. But I am too exhausted by the scolding you gave me to assume them serious at the moment without confirmation.
"the...power of Qabbalah over nature"? Qabbalah is not seperate to nature.
No, but nature is only a part of what is. Not grasping this is a major flaw in the metaphysical substrate of modern physics, which is why it is floundering today (once you get past the PR). Apropos said floundering, after asking after Q’s positive predictions (which I can perhaps address tomorrow, in case anyone cares), you say,
b) prove that science has got it wrong, EMPIRICALLY.
Well, special relativity predicts aberration of light depends on relative velocity of earth and star, yet the light from binary systems disproves this, since if it were true many pairs would be seen to visibly move apart and back together, which is not the case. And of course there is the missing 90% of the mass the astro‘physicists’ can’t seem to find yet without which the gravitational theory of galactic stability doesn’t hold water, let alone any stars.

venicebard

And now, page 2

Dulcimer said:
Non-sense? Quite. But just because it doesn't make sense does not mean it can't be real.
Do you hear yourself? You display here the classic neurosis of mainstream science today: discarding reason in favor of sensation.
Then you don't actually know what you're talking about.
Not every cheap shot that can be taken should be taken, if you want to convince more than ‘the choir’: you and I are both going on what the popularizers have said about black holes (though I have studied tensor calculus to some degree, have you?). I was only remarking that I do not take it as seriously as they would like us to.
An expanding universe is a REASONable theory . . .
So, now you want to go back to making sense. This doesn’t quite qualify as ‘bait and switch’, as it lacks the ‘bait’ part.
So scientists follow the data to empirically prove or disprove the theory.
It is to their failure to do so that I am objecting: for example, sticking doggedly to the gravitational model in spite of not being able to find but 10% of the mass they need for a galaxy not to fly apart, to cover which they tell us of ‘dark matter’, which no-one can detect but which they know intuitively must exist (they like the intuitive when it suits them).
I would argue that the particle types are not elemental but are forces . . .
Then do so.
. . . the elements are not forces, they are states;
. . . the four particle-types (or rather two particle-types and two quanta-types) are the four states in which mass-energy is found in this universe, are they not? I don’t quite get your point.
. . . the three forces are positive, negative, and neutral, . . .
(I think you mean electric charge, not ‘forces’.)
You remind me of the woman watching her son march to war. "Look," she says to her neigbour, " everyone's out of step except my boy!"
Perhaps I should point out that being ‘in step’ depends on the music itself, not on numbers. Of course if some dictator decrees that the up beat is really the down beat, then it will be the one with the temerity to march correctly that will be taken out and shot.
Who says "Up (aries) is 8, oxygen? How does "self (capricorn) is 19, potassium" equate? What on earth does any of it mean? WHERE does the Kabbalah call "the electron or lepton +1"?
1st question: Up—towards aries-the-head or spring—is 8-oxygen by nature’s decree: there is no ‘up’ (for us) without it (this is true of no other atom-type). This sign occurs in the alder month F (ogham’s initial sequence is B-L-F-S-N, but the first sequence of months, beginning at yuletide, is B-L-N-F-S, given the tree-alphabet’s being called the bethluisnion, not the bethluisfearn): fearn the alder is numbered 8 in bardic tradition partly because, as the wood of pilings and ferry-boats, it retains balance (being moisture-resistant) when all else is swamped by water, balance symbolized by two earthy or fourfold things (4 + 4 = 8)—VIII LaJustice is aries as wielder of scales, not libra, the scales themselves. [F is perhaps feh-sofit, but the simple letter at aries was originally samekh, the only letter shaped like a head: to pagans, aries or up was the Corn Spirit F sprouting out past the tongue—out the top of the seed or Egg or round—Qabbalah however keeping its sound on the tongue, since the round or zodiac-of-the-torso stands for the tongue inside the mouth formed by the ‘bowl’ of the surroundings (from horizon without to horizon within).]

2nd question: Sign cancer-the-breasts points ahead or ‘out’ (towards other), capricorn, opposite it, back or ‘in’—back towards oneself, the Shekhinah or divine presence (10th sign). Now of bardic numbering only 0-16 survives, but the rest (17-21) are easily recovered, especially given the Marseilles trump images, which are based on them. Yod and vav are XVIIII LeSoleil and XVII L’Etoile respectively and stand for the two poles of the vowel spectrum: smug self-satisfied smile “ee” (y) and lips puckered to partake of mother’s (other’s) nipple “oo” (w). Since the consonants forming the months of the waning year (summer-fall) are the doubles, which form the ‘mouth’ or Cauldron of the surroundings (out through down to in), the simples arrayed along the bottom half of the Egg or ‘tongue’ (in other words, the tongue-root) were the bardic vowels originally, most of which have hardened into consonants in Semitic (and elsewhere). All are simples save mother-letter alef (wheel’s center), whose place in the vowel sequence is taken by qof (for reasons we can go into some other time, if you wish). Vav points out, towards cancer, yod in, towards capricorn. Their numbers, 17 and 19 respectively, convert the 9-10 polarity between -1 valence and numerical +1—doubles K and G that mark the horizontal limits of the Egg on the Cauldron as the signs on either side of libra, these being straight down from Egg’s cancer and capricorn—into a form where interaction can take place: 19 is +1 and 17 is -1 both numerically and valence-wise, and these form the salt potassium chloride, to keep the fluid within cells. Yod-19-potassium is +1 valence electron, vav-17-chlorine -1 valence electron, symbolizing lepton (electron) and baryon (proton) respectively in that the proton is also ‘minus one valence electron’, being a hydrogen nucleus (neutrons decay once on their own, you will recall). And since the fundamental polarity is +1 versus -1, it is obvious Qabbalah got the signs right—and though TVs still ‘work’ with signs reversed, they are not explained thereby (since the electrons flow in the opposite direction).

3rd question: It means that a sophisticated understanding of nature’s particle-types and atom-types has existed previously, that when the sound system underlying Qabbalah was formed the knowledge was more solid than ours at present, for it unified things as no-one today has been able to—and to an amazing degree, one that suggests it speaks to our (and matter’s) origins, not simply to phenomena.

4th question: (Answered under 2nd question.)
These are your labels not Kabbalah.
Well, it is Qabbalah itself, not just the surviving wreckage or ‘Kabbalah’ (for want of a better way to differentiate them)—though without the latter we would not have the former, of course.
And I am still waiting for you to show the Qabbalah can " ‘predict’ some things modern physics has gotten wrong".
This is easy: Adam Qadmon. It ‘predicts’ that Upright Sentience, not ‘chance’, teleologically necessitates all change that occurs, hence that we must figure-in the eternal if we are to understand flux. Plato himself (chapter 19 of the Republic) explained ontology’s and epistemology’s basis: there is what abides, what abides and abides not, and what abides not—in other words, the eternal, that which has finite duration, and the fleeting present instant exhaust all the possibilities and hence define self as consisting of a knower, to know the eternal, a thinker, to opine on what has finite duration, and a doer, who though ignorant of the present instant (it being utterly fleeting hence non-contemplatable) must act in it. It is the estranged doer’s attempt to function as its own thinker and knower that has gotten it into its current difficulty (mortality).

In terms of physics and chemistry in particular, Qabbalah (and the Tarot of Marseilles trumps, based thereon) predicts through its symbolic structure the basic qualities of atom-types and the relations of spin and charge accruing to the four basic particle-types—and groups bosons (photon and meson), which like to gather in the same energy state, on the central vertical axis and puts fermions (lepton and baryon), which adhere to the Pauli exclusion principle, off to the side—all long before cyclotrons or even Planck. Does this count for nothing?
For your premise to be accepted you would need to; a) predict something, by definition, BEFORE it has been discovered . . .
I love it, setting your opponent an impossible task (unless you own a time machine, so one could jump forward in time and check it out if I did do so): that’ll work.

jmd

Though I do not share venicebard's view, I suspect that it arises from considerations with which I tend to agree - so let me explain, or at least attempt to explain.

If we consider the world from a neo-platonist perspective, then not only is there a hierarchy of beings and an eternal spiritual underpinning, but also there is every reason to consider that individuals in touch with the deeper spiritual structure will be able to reflect this in language, artefacts and conceptual frameworks that more accurately reveals truth (Aletheia).

In the past more than now, people tended to accept 'revelations' from those situated in temple precincts with as much 'authority' as many now accept 'revelations' from the medico-scientific establishment.

In such a worldview, it becomes quite easy to understand that, even though atomic theory (or whatever part of physics one would like to focus on) was not developed, a revelation, and subsequent correlation to known factors (such as a knowledge of trees and their various connection or correlations) would result.

It can therefore be seen how atomic correlations are feasible in such a worldview, even though 'science' (in the modern sense of the term) has not as yet 'discovered' what may already have been science (in the etymological sense of the term) thousands of years ago - even if the consciousness of that science was in a more dreamy state of consciousness.

Perhaps I am reading venicebard totally incorrectly in the above, for there are others who also consider that Earth was in the distant past visited by beings more or less like us (in terms of their physicality), just simply more advanced in their scientific knowledge, and that residues of this manifests across cultures as it became progressively forgotten or misunderstood by our rather dumb-witted ancestors. Personally, I do not see any evidence for this unless one already decides to see it in that way - but of course, this 'explanation' makes more sense to some than an invocation of supra-physical hierarchies.

What does this all have to do with the opening post and general discussion on it, the relationship between Kabalah and Science, and whether or not one has superseded the other?

Much - for not only will the answer be dependent on our views as to what Kabalah and Science 'really' are, but whether certain forms of knowledge are possible given the very nature of the world as understood from our respective ontological perspective.

Dulcimer

jmd said:
...not only will the answer be dependent on our views as to what Kabalah and Science 'really' are, but whether certain forms of knowledge are possible given the very nature of the world as understood from our respective ontological perspective.
Excellent, jmd, a fine conclusion. And I, for one, am leaving it there. :)