the creative tarot by Jessa Crispin

Maan

Has anyone read this books yet? I would love to read some opinions before i buy it. It looks so fun and different.

MarkMcElroy

It's Harmless.

I read the book last week. There's a brief history of Tarot and a story about how the author became involved with Tarot. Beyond that, the bulk of the book is a Tarot card dictionary with meanings weighted toward creativity. (The high priestess, for example, tells you it's time to sit down, unroll that scroll, and study your craft before proceeding.)

Each entry ends with a list of two or three paintings, movies, books, or other works of art you should experience for greater insight.

If you have many "for beginners" books in your library, there won't be much new here, though you may enjoy seeing the cards defined through the lens of creativity. Personally, I would have preferred more stories about how artists are using the Tarot to achieve breakthroughs or generate ideas ... but this book is more about "what you *could* do" with Tarot instead of "what people *are doing.*".

I hope that helps. There's a longer review on my website, if you're interested.

Frindle

Creative, but not Groundbreaking

I have to agree with Mark on this book. I really enjoy the author's writing style (and MarkElroy, I have some of your books too!) and the art and literary suggestions for each card remind me of Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens. It's a fun book, but on the tarot table I would relegate it as a side dish rather than center of the plate. Unless you want more creative, less tarot; to which I say eat this dessert first- it has no calories if you are only looking!