The Fish card

LunarLioness

Hi all

I know that the Fish card traditionally stands for money and finances, however, I have started to see a strange pattern in my readings that seems to often show the Fish as a 'soul' card. I'm not sure if I'm going to be very good at explaining this, but I shall try!

For instance: A friend's dog was gravely ill with cancer. I privately drew cards and got DOG + FISH. At first I thought this could indicate large vet bills, however that didn't feel right to me. I use the Mystical Lenormand and the Fish card shows a very zen looking atmosphere with a bridge over the water - it makes me think of 'crossing over'. The dog passed away the next night. Similar situation in a reading for a friend regarding her very elderly Grandmother. I would never tell someone I predicted death, but I thought to myself that again, the Fish card predicted a crossing over.

It sounds odd but I have noticed that I just get a feeling that the Fish are not representing money sometimes but if I do feel they are representing a 'crossing over' of sorts it is with reference to a spiritual, soulful type - not a sudden or violent situation, more just a 'going back to the spirit world' type of feeling.

Also, I have seen the FISH + HEART not as 'materialism' but as 'soul love'...

Does this make ANY sense at all??? Or am I just imagining it and misinterpreting and the Fish represent finances and nothing more.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's important or not to note that I have only ever used the Treppner method, so I know nothing about the other method (the name of which escapes me at this moment, sorry!) and am not sure if the Fish represent the same thing or not..

214red

I see completely what you mean, the fish comes up for more spiritual matters, more pluto/death type issues. soul love understand that also,sometimes its a message from my soul and the fish pop up to say that.

Yora

^_~ I think the deck chooses to speak to you in this way!! What i find so beautehfull about oracle cards/tarot is that all can be a different expierence for the one und the other, very very interesting to see how everyone reads at a different way.

greetings,

Yora.

Ronia

Brrr, I hope not! I've been seeing it regularly for myself lately. :( Soulmate - yes, in relationship readings or with Heart, or Ring.

Milfoil

Since the icon of the fish has long been a symbol to represent the soul, it doesn't surprise me that you see it this way. Personally I would find it difficult to associate fish with money but that's just me. As Yora says, that's the glory of tarot and oracles, we can see what we need to so they are truly unique to the reader.

GryffinSong

Hi all

I know that the Fish card traditionally stands for money and finances...

...am I just imagining it and misinterpreting and the Fish represent finances and nothing more...

In my opinion, one of the most important things in using any cards is that our own strong intuition trumps book definitions. Always. Your instincts are so strong on this, please don't doubt them. If you had no idea what it meant, or were feeling wish washy about it, a book or traditional meaning might help you with interpretation. But in this case you KNOW it means something else. There's no reason to try to shoehorn someone else's meaning into the reading. :)

lord_ewin

Agreed with GryffinSong, even if I have never used the fish in that way. :) Card reading is a personal science... you can take bits and pieces here and there, but ultimately, you're the one doing the reading and it's your intuition leading it there..!

LunarLioness

Thanks everyone, that is so helpful and I'm so glad I'm not just going round the twist! :)

Milfoil - I didn't know that the fish was an icon to represent the soul - how interesting!
Ronia - I was so so confused by the fish coming up in relationship readings with the ring or heart for ages, especially ones where materialism just didn't make any sense! Now, it is all starting to make a lot more sense :)

One of the cards that really confuses me and I do feel very wishy washy about is the Snake.... I know it stands for a woman but I can't help but always feel wary about this card - I see it as something sinister and untrustworthy all the time. I love snakes in real life but I don't like this card at all! ;) I might need a bit more insight into it. I know I started this thread about the Fish, but can anyone tell me how they see the Snake and how it usually applies in their readings?

214red

i think the snake depends on the deck, i have the mystical and here its a snake holding/guarding an egg, with a crown on, sitting on an island, with both the sun and the moon showing.

I can see the snake being an exotic woman, i have come out the snake in a reading.

I can see the snake guarding the secrets, bit like the HP in tarot, to me it often links to the Key card.

The snake also has come out to show spiritual women or feminine men.

i havent had it come out in a negative way so far

LunarLioness

i think the snake depends on the deck, i have the mystical and here its a snake holding/guarding an egg, with a crown on, sitting on an island, with both the sun and the moon showing.

I have the Mystical too and I dont know why I see it in such a negative way. I see it guarding the egg too, but in a secretive deceptive way...hmmm. Still not sure why! Maybe its just the animal imagery for me... I love and appreciate snakes but I see them as more 'slippery' and cunning than the fox! I think of foxes as clever and resourceful...especially the one on the Mystical deck - out there in the snow alone fending for himself.

I find it so interesting that we both see the same image on the same card in a totally different way! :)