Deal breakers in decks?

Vanitygrey

The decks that I've found not as appealing and thus don't use that much, have one or more of the following:

- snake card depicts just a woman, or a woman wrapped in a snake
- cloud card could also be seen as a sun card as the sun seems to take over the larger image
- hard to distinguish path and garden in the same deck without looking at the card number
- I like my rider on a horse, not bicycle (sort of picky)
- the cards in the deck should not stick to each other. I bought the French cartomancy deck from amazon and the plastic cards stick to each other which make fanning impossible
- hard to distinguish bouquet from lily without looking at the card number

I think that's it for now :)

Nemia

All the above mentioned things are hard to read with. Additional dealbreakers: no card faces, cute mice, verses.

BeyondtheVeil

I am new to lenormand and I thought I didn't have any deal breakers.

The ones that bother me are having 'road' instead of Crossroads. I see two roads completely differently than one road. lol Crossroads being a choice, but road meaning I am just moving forward. It may not bother anyone else, but as a newbie.. that can be confusing.

The Rider card where the horse is just standing there. I'm confused at why you would do that when Rider is supposed to be a fast movement card. Raise a leg.. do something to show movement. 4 legs on the ground standing to me means no movement/stuck.

I also have decided that no matter which way the horse is.. I'm going to use the Rider as a 'future moving card". Or should I go out of my way to find a horse facing right? I feel right is future as I read left to right and left is the past. I have no idea if that is correct or not, but I haven't read the lenormand book I just got yet. lol

The birds card. I LOVE owls! The problem is.. I don't associate owls with what the birds card is supposed to mean. I think of owls as wise, beautiful etc. To me.. an owl card would be something awesome to get. Plus I like looking at owls :) lol Birds fly panicky in bad weather, so my association is completely different with Owls and Birds.

I love the Celtic Lenormand Ship Card. It definitely shows a huge ship and movement. It is beautiful, but I 'get" it. {I don't necessarily get all the ship cards though}.

Someone mentioned the Child card with the ring they are rolling down the path. I wasn't sure if it was RING, PATH, or child. Very confusing to a newbie! :thumbsup:

I don't necessarily mind different symbols as long as I can relate to what they mean. lol If you are going to make a different deck then provide a regular sized book for learning it.

I also don't mind verses. I thought it would drive me crazy, but it helps when it's your first time dealing with lenormand and don't have a book. :D lol

I also would not buy a tarot sized Lenormand. I don't know if anyone has mentioned size yet, but I love the Bridge sized. Perfect for reading large spreads or for taking with you.

I also don't like dark, depressing decks. You can still get a great reading without it being dark, depressing, or uninspiring. I love colour and brightness.

So as a total newbie to lenormand right now.. these are my dealbreakers.

Great idea for a thread! :thumbsup:
BeyondtheVeil

Barleywine

I'm not a fan of trendy art, preferring simple, easily recognizable images in a more traditional artistic style. Confusion should be kept to a minimum: if I see a boat on a lake with clouds or a moon in the sky and a mountain in the background, I'm not always entirely sure which is the main image. I tend to take a dim view of completely replacing conventional images with a deck creator's personal ideas, but some of my favorite decks do take a few liberties,

Shade

I scrutinize the snake card quite a bit when looking at a new deck. Despite their simplified anatomy a lot of decks seem to have very oddly shaped or weirdly proportioned snakes, snakes that are highly obfuscated, or snakes that just look like curly little piles. It's not always an absolute deal-breaker, the Marseilles Lenormand is a favorite for me and has a snake I don't find particularly attractive, but it makes it hard for me to love a deck.

The updated version of the Pixie's Astounding Lenormand has made me want the deck whereas I was not into it in its first incarnation.