Meaning of the Descendent in Natal Chart?

sapienza

Hi all. I've recently had my natal chart done and the astrologer who did the reading was incredible. The only thing I'm a little confused about is the meaning of the descendent in the chart. For me it is Cancer.

Is the descendent about qualities that we don't believe we have as we've hidden them away, or is it qualities we simply don't have at all? Or am I totally on the wrong track?

Any help would be much appreciated.
ww

Pollux

I think it's related to partnership, to love.
After all, it is the cusp of the 7th house.
For example, I've heard to say that people tend to get along with others whose sun sign (and/or other prominent aspects) are in their Asc/Disc.
I wonder whether it is true teorically, but in practice it works perfectly for me.
I'm sorrounded by Taurus friends, and those few Scorpio I met, are very important, although irregular, relationships.

Maybe this is also due to my Taurus values of my T-Mercury.

AquarianGoddess

The 7th house is about partnerships of all kinds. It's also about the type of people we attract. You may attract Cancer Sun signs because it's the opposite sign of your ascendant. Opposites attract because they have something you don't and vice-versa. This can be altered somewhat if you have planets in your 7th such as Mars, then it would read as attracting both emotional and aggressive folks.

AG

january

Wow... so, since I'm a Cap. with a Taurus ascendant and Scorpio Descendant this means I attract or meld best with Scorpio people? My mom is a Taurus and my uncle is a Scorpio and there is such a deep connection between us. I also have Neptune in Sag. in the 7th house which is quite peculiar, I attract Sags like bees to honey but the relationship is like a bee STING! (like my first marriage! Ouch!). But does Neptune in the 7th mean I get along well with Pieces-type people too?

I'm just learning astrolgy so much of this is new to me. I just find it incredible how the planets set our life's stage.

~ january

AquarianGoddess

Hi January,

With Neptune in your 7th (and not considering other chart factors) you need to be cautious that you see others clearly, especially love relationships. Where Neptune is in a chart, theres always an element of illusion. This can be modified somewhat by the aspects it makes.

AG

Pollux

january (23 Jan, 2002 11:35):
I'm just learning astrolgy so much of this is new to me. I just find it incredible how the planets set our life's stage.
january
I'm new myself, and here's my humbleness.
You know january, the Leader of this Shire is The DIVA of Water, Her who unseals the flood of Astro-knowledge to us all beginners and rookies.
I hope she'll shine on me and agree.

There's a kinda statistics' study about Neptune in 7th: as a "changing" (IT: "cangiante"= that changes) planet (such as Pluto and Uranus) in the 7th house, it DOES indicate the need of tender unions, of romanticism, of "getting flooded away by feelings and emotions" - a quotation from a Parker Duo Astro-Learnings.
Yet, those who have one in the 7th house tend to change partner "often", I mean... to tend to have numerous flirts even if married. Or to have to stand the partner's flirts!
It was astonishing when I read it, but Nep7th also says that ppl will marriage twice at least!
Just your case, or my imagination? ;D ;D
I'll have some research on that, don't worry! ;p

Pollux

And, just to point out: I've cast my Straying Post spell!
WICCA is the Power! ;D ;D
Shouldn't we talk about Descendants?

My searchs added: Desc. is linked to SEX in relationships, summing the person attitude and opinion of it.

REALLY????? ??? ??? ???
My Taurus Desc. is a wild one then! ;D

january

You know january, the Leader of this Shire is The DIVA of Water, Her who unseals the flood of Astro-knowledge to us all beginners and rookies.
I hope she'll shine on me and agree.

Yes she is... I'm learning so much from AQ!

Oh yes! I am quite idealistic in love relationships and then those rose-colored glasses come off and I wonder, "Who IS this person?" (exit husband #1). The problem was that while I was wearing those metaphorical glasses, I was becoming something I'm not. The Scorpio desc., I'm not sure hurts or helps this! (its a very passionate and intense sign, isn't it?) As far as marrying at least twice, my dad had Neptune in the 7th too and he was married 3 times. Hmmm...

~ january

Pollux

Well then other two cases to add to the statistic study! ;)

The more I walk, the more Astrology seems a science.
GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

purplelady

Ascendent/ descendant ? By ascendent , do you mean the same as rising sign (sign in the first house)
If so , my ascendent is aquarius and Leo is descendent??
I Do get along well with both these signs. Let me know if I am correct on this?
I have Mars retrograde in 7 th house of Leo, And saturn and mercury in 1 st house of aquarius.