If you were a professional reader and I asked you.......

Ace

I didn't realize that it was old until I had already posted. It really put my back up. I answered as politely as I could but I can't believe how ANGRY the original post made me, after thinking about it for a while.

I am glad it was revived, but I agree with some others, if someone asked me those questions I would decline to read for them!

barb

spinnachie

I personally think that everyone has a different idea of what a "good reader" or "legit reader" is...not to say that there are no "con readers" out there because I am sure there are...however if someone did come to me with those questions I would politely refer them to someone who would be a better fit for the sitter...not because I am afraid to answer the questions or because of ego but more so because just like a sitter has every right to choose a reader...the reader also has rights and if they don't feel the sitter is a good fit, why force the reading? you want the client to be comfortable with the reader and the reading and want them to leave happy at the end of the day...

Before I do a reading though I do explain my process to the sitter because every reader has a different style...and I do want them to engage and interact with me, I want them to feel comfortable with me as well so I say my schpiel and I let them know that after the reading is done they can ask me questions...

If a sitter reads cards as well and starts putting their input while im reading, then I would get frustrated because why would you come to me for a reading if you are just going to read your own cards anyway? the whole point in this case is to get a different perspective, and if you're going to read your own cards and interpret them then you're not allowing for that outside perspective...so you might as well just read for yourself and save yourself the bucks in that case.

If after my reading is done and the sitter was unable to relate to anything and they felt I was completely off...then I would offer their money back because my goal as a reader is for you to gain something out of my readings, and if you haven't then I haven't done my job and so I wouldn't expect for you to pay for a service that you were unhappy with...

However, any questions about religious beliefs, should not be relevant...this is not about me...so my religious beliefs should not be of any importance in a reading...

There was more I wanted to add but I forgot now lol
just my 2 cents... :)

Tanga

Lets just keep in mind that this thread is from 2008, and the poster is long gone.

:joke: :joke: :joke:
Very entertaining.

I'm considering going to check out a "professional" reader down the road from my job. ...I've complied a list of questions that I expect answered before I make an appointment with this person...

Do I sound like the Spanish Inquisition here? Think I'll offend?

It would depend on whether the questions were being asked in an offensive "Spanish Inquisition" manner... and - I would answer the questions with a view to finding out where the seeker was coming from, with such a list of questions. Lol.
Unless I got a "dodgy" vibe off the seeker and my instincts told me that I should do a HOLMES - and say
"So sorry - I just can't connect with you today - you'll have to seek your fortune elsewhere..."
or something along those lines.

The questions:

- How did you come into this profession?:
I was depressed and had dropped out of University, and didn't know what to do with myself - one afternoon I walked into my 1st occult bookstore and saw this wonderful assortment of beautiful cards. I wished to know more about them immediately. They cheered me up. That was 20 years ago. (And - I went back to University after that.).

- Why do you read for other people?:
I like to help if I can. I love the human interaction over beautiful pictures and usually learn
interesting things about humanity.

- Do you believe that you can solve other peoples problems via "spell work"?:
No. That generally only works if they believe it themselves.

- What type of deck will you use and or will I have the option to choose my own deck?:
Depends on my mood that day. Mostly - I use the deck that I'm in the mood
for (and therefore am in-tune with). Very occasionally, the sitter gets a choice. :D

- Are you comfortable with the fact that I do read for myself and I am aware of the "book meaning" behind each card?:
Why not?

- How do you think that the tarot works?:
Uncertain. I think the cards are a framework for the unconscious mind to be
expressed and examined. I also think that a combination of my affinity for the images
and connection - perhaps on a bioenergetic level - with the sitter, results in me
being open to receive helpful messages/ideas to be shared. Perhaps a higher power has a hand?
Perhaps it is an interaction of our higher selves.

- Do you use reversals?:
Sometimes.

- Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your readings?:
Well that's tricky - how does one divorce themselves in their interactions, from what they truly
believe about how life works? I do my best not to project my "religion" if you like - onto my sitter,
and am aware of, and open to the possibilities of a variety of beliefs.
But I think reading the cards without looking through my particular "religious" filter - is quite
impossible.

- Do you believe that the cards themselves hold any kind of "power"?:
Only if I believe that they do. The power is in me.

- Have you studied psychology (Such as Jung) and do you apply that to your interpretations of the cards?:
Nope.

- Do you believe yourself to be psychic? If so, explain to me how that will come into play during my reading:
I am psychic on-and-off, but I don't describe myself as "a psychic". I believe we all have psychic ability.
And so during your reading - I may present ideas, insights, and relevant information to you which comes
to me like a "memory" or "vision" that I see. This may have nothing to do with the cards I'm looking at the time.

- Are you comfortable with my active participation during the reading?:
Define active participation. :) :)

- Are you put on the defensive by sitters who have a prior understanding of the tarot?:
No. It's usually a more interesting reading if they do because of their "informed" participation. ;)

- What type of spread will you be using for my reading if any are used at all and why?:
Whichever one I feel is most appropriate.