First fair tomorrow - Nervous!

Bloudwedd

I fell straight into normal mundane life right after. So I will havve to postpone an update. But I write more tomorrow!

Bloudwedd

OK here is my report:

The first day was promising to start with. It was really interesting to meet all these new people from all different areas of life. Some were interested in my line of work and some were not. It was a mixed fair after all (Health an spirituality). But after first hour went by and then the next and really very few people had started to show we were starting to worry. And that really was the cue of the weekend. It was very little few people visiting the fair all together :-( I dont know why this was. Most likely since it was a mixed fair and it was the first year it was done. However, I got to do 3 readings during that day and that I appreciate at least. But I noticed two things that still frustrates me. a) People tend to not want problem-specific answers. When I ask what they want to know they say: "Well... Uuuhm... abotu love and money and stuff" SIGH b) And for some reason when you add the prefix "Psychic" ahead of your title that attract much more interest. Had a lady next to me that was almost booked all the time... Not that I dislike psychic people, I have the greatest respect for what they do. I just feel that I did not get a fair shot as "just a" reader.....

The second day was even worse and very little people visiting. I got one reading done and that was from a lottery winner from the first day. However, it was a really good and free flowing reading so that felt good. But it was not entirely bad that people did not show. Since in the afternoon when it was clear that very few people would show I got the opportunity to walk around and talk with the other people at the fair and met some truly extraordinary people. For that I am very grateful!

All in all, I am not sure that it was worth the money I invested. But on the other hand I was wrong who bought the weddingdress before I found myself a groom! Secretly I had hoped that I would earn loads of money on this thing. But I realise now that maybe thats now the main reason why to go to these things.

Debra

The first year of the fair, and your first fair--sounds like a slow start but I bet it's better next year!

People like general readings--because they don't know you and don't know what to expect. "Body-Mind-Spirit" is popular. Add "emotions" if you want four cards :) and you can draw more cards to clarify if a problem or question arises.

As for the "psychic"--no problem. YOUR sign can say "Intuitive Reader"

Congratulations! :heart:

satinangel

Something I'd like to share, being a fair reader for a number of years. ..and this is not directed at any one person, just something I'd like to share.

When doing fairs or hanging out at venues ... You gotta do your time. You gotta show up! People need to see you, over and over.

When you do get a reading, or three, get the sitter's email address, so you can let them know about other events you will be participating in.

Sometimes it's easy to think, "Oh yeah, I'll take my deck, sit at a table and make a ton of money!" It really doesn't work that way. ...and it takes time to build a clientele. Stick with it...and in time you will have "regulars."

Bloudwedd

@Debra: Yes I think so too! The BMS was a brilliant idea - if it was not for the fact that I really really am bad at that particular spread. Guess I have to practice a bit, huh? And the suggestion of "Intuitive Reader" was brilliant!

@satinangel: Satinangel yes, I think you are right! Not even the organizers fully knew who I was besides by name so they could not refer me and the woman with the "psychic" shringle was really an old fox in the buisness. So you right, I better hang in there!

starrystarrynight

Bloudwedd, pursuant to what satinangel said, there is an old advertising "chestnut" (saying, adage, thought) here in the USA that says people need to see your wares or advertising an average of EIGHT times before they are ready to buy. (So, to get three seekers on your very first time out is good!)

So maybe in the future, pre-advertising would be a good idea. Folks will get used to seeing who you are and what you do and decide to get a reading from you beforehand!

214red

everyone loves someone who looks popular, and everyone also loves freebies.
when your not reading for a client, go out and sell your self, speak to people who pass you. for down times offer free quick readings, perhaps one carders, make sure you keep an eye out for other customers.

people are often wary if they havent seen people booking you, if you are always free that tend to think your no good. so offering the odd freebie will make you look busy and people will think your booked and queue up for you

Rev_Vesta

Hi when I was starting out......I would not sit behind my table but stand infront by my business cards, brochures......and say hi to people as they walk by.....and I usually found people would ask what i do.....once i explained I would have them sitting beside me, I would give them a free three card reading, 5 mins....suddenly they booked 1/2 hr reading $30.......because they wanted to know more detail.........

Also I would walk around the stall holders chatting etc...... and invite them for a free 5-10 min reading betwen 3-7 cards..........so people can see others sitting for a reading.....created interest.........

Another thing I found worked was offering $1 Oracle 1 card spread......then they wanted a full Tarot Reading.......

Also when i go to a new fair, I introduce myself to the person who manages, sets up, organizes the fair and offer them a free full reading......even before the day starts........then they can recommend you.........

but it does take time for others to see you as a regular reader at fairs etc......

Word of mouth.......does work....