Delta Enduring Tarot

BodhiSeed

Thank you for the Kickstarter link, Lantana.:heart: As a life-long Southerner, I couldn't help but back this one! :D

Amberjune

Oh, I love it! Thank you so much for posting the link, Lantana.

I think the color scheme is great, the interpretations are very evocative and inspiring. Love so any of the cards, the two of moths, the four of oysters, the Lovers. Great!

Gaston D.

I just backed this on Kickstarter. It's already more than half funded (with over a month to go) so chances are it will indeed ship by the fall ... fingers crossed!

I live in New Orleans and while the concept and much of the imagery is inspired by the Mississippi Delta a lot of it is evocative of Louisiana (and specifically southern Louisiana) as well. So it really resonates with me a lot more than any other deck I've seen coming down the pipe lately.

I especially like details like the celery, green pepper, and onion on the Three of Cast Iron (aka Pentacles) - any New Orleanian worth his or her roux know that those constitute the hallowed "trinity" of Cajun/Creole cooking, and therefore they're a perfect symbol for the card's concept of establishing a solid (and in this case, delicious!) basis for the larger project ahead. And a look at some of the other cards convinces me that a lot of thought has gone into their composition and symbolism as well. It's not just a gimmick - this really promises to be an actual working deck.

It's also interesting that this is one of the only Southern/New Orleans-inflected decks out there, as far as I'm aware. While I appreciate (and own) the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, it's based on a religious/spiritual tradition that is quite unfamiliar to me so feels a lot more "foreign" than the Delta Enduring deck does.

And I appreciate that the Delta Enduring includes representations of queer folk, people of color, and the differently abled - all of whom have historically been very underrepresented in Tarot, though that seems to have been changing for the better in recent years (the Southern-flavored Slow Holler deck being a great example.)

Gaston D.

Me too I find it very funny. Love the bicycle in the Death card. Which reminds me of exercise. ..Like even though you're dead that's no excuse not to stay healthy.

I guess that's one way of looking at it ... But the actual imagery in the Death card in this deck will be instantly recognizable to anyone who lives in New Orleans as a Ghost Bike: bicycles that are painted white and displayed as a memorial at traffic intersections or other locations where someone on a bike has been killed in a motor vehicle accident. Many of them are decorated with flowers or beads like the one on the card is. They're common in many other urban areas as well - I've seen several on visits to New York City - but I live in New Orleans and know that they're (alas) especially common here.

More about Ghost Bikes at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_bike

rwcarter

Moderator Note

To avoid confusion with two active threads on the same deck, the threads have been merged together.

barefootlife

Definitely putting this one on reminder while I ponder it. I love the concept and flavor of this deck.

JadePixie

Backed it, I like the art and theme of the deck :D

banbha

I guess that's one way of looking at it ... But the actual imagery in the Death card in this deck will be instantly recognizable to anyone who lives in New Orleans as a Ghost Bike: bicycles that are painted white and displayed as a memorial at traffic intersections or other locations where someone on a bike has been killed in a motor vehicle accident. Many of them are decorated with flowers or beads like the one on the card is. They're common in many other urban areas as well - I've seen several on visits to New York City - but I live in New Orleans and know that they're (alas) especially common here.

More about Ghost Bikes at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_bike

Yes, that's right, they're seen here in NY too. There's a child's white bicycle about a mile away from me. The family has kept it up and maintained it for over 10 years. Very sad and and a good reminder to drivers too. I didn't know they were called Ghost bikes.