Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

2_Journey

thorhammer said:
That is so good to hear - both that you saw it as "sign" and that you're still committed to your deck! Most people would switch immediately :D

lol - I wasn't even tempted! I looked through the cards to see if they were all there, saw some interesting interpretations compared to the MRP Fairytale, and thought, "That will be something interesting to explore later. Much later."

I totally took my gift deck as a sign, though. Have started expanding my reading list to include books about the psychology of fairy tales and comparative fairy tales from around the world. I'm going at this whole hog. :D

emmsma

I've done my reading for the weekly circle, but am behind on my reading, due to the holiday. If my boy would go to bed, maybe I'd have some time...
*frustrated mama*

LotusSong

I know that after this last round of exchanges, I have finally "fallen" for my deck. I no longer glower at it like it's a textbook; instead I'm crazy about it. I want to read Shakespeare all the time. I might buy some of Shakespeare's tragedies the next time I get a chance (because it feels different to read a book in hand versus on the computer). I might even pick up some companion books, like Cliffnotes or something to go along with it.

I feel almost like I've wasted all the time I've had with my deck until now! I'm just trying to pace myself, because I know me. I fall in love with something, I immerse myself in it, I get sick of it and move on to something else. At least I have Diary of a Broken Soul to fall back onto when I've burned myself out here. Maybe I could switch back and forth between the two decks so that when I get sick of one, I have the other...

Yvresse

Being in the brief gap between Christmas and the New Year seems a bit of an ironic time to start an IDS, but anyhow...

Deck: Tarot of the Sweet Twilight
until January 31st (inclusive).

*By the "deadline" I will have written at least one entry per card in the deck journal
*All readings, exchanges, Tarot games will be done with this deck, unless there's a very important matter that I feel would be better suited to another deck
*I will do at least 1 activity per day with this deck (been too lazy lately to do anything with Tarot at all...)

Wendywu

thorhammer said:
I did a MASSIVE reading for Wendy the other day ......\m/ Kat

You most certainly did!! Bloody good reading too.......

thorhammer

Wendywu said:
You most certainly did!! Bloody good reading too.......
Thankyou :D *preens*

I'm sitting down to do another right now - I'm going with with The Man in a couple of hours and need something to take my mind off the waiting :rolleyes:

I'm so nervous. I'm trying to distract myself :D

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Yvresse - just saw your post. I'll add you to the list.

\m/ Kat

Carla

This thread is challenging for me to follow! :) I have been writing my IDS entries on my blog. If you are interested in having a look at the thoughts of a newbie about Universal Waite, just click on 'Website' below. :) I welcome comments.

thorhammer

What do you mean, challenging? If there's a change you'd like to see made, or a problem, please let me know and I will most definitely see what I can do. A couple of others have contacted me with some changes they'd like to see in the New Year, which, funnily enough, echoed my own unexpressed sentiments. If you want to talk something over, I'm very welcoming :)

Another successful (-feeling, anyway :D) reading done, this time for the darling Promise :) I do like the Blake more and more as I use it, and although it will never be the love of my life like Hermann and Zan :D it's helping to break me out of a mould and I love that when a repeat card comes up it's giving me different - totally! - meanings :) It's fun, kind of like riding a horse you can't count on not to buck you off ;)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

thorhammer said:
although it will never be the love of my life like Hermann and Zan :D

Yep, that's us.

You know, last night I watched the movie "Julie and Julia" about a young woman who becomes spiritual "friends" with Julia Child by challenging herself to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook over the course of a year. While cooking, she talks out loud to her, complains to her, and truly feels as if Julia is there watching over her.

It's kinda like that with Hermann and I. Of course, when undertaking one of these kinds of relationships, its important to remember that, in my case anyway, the Hermann in my head and the real Hermann Haindl out there somewhere are two distinctly different people. To me, Hermann is the grandfather image I always wished for. He's warm, but stern. He's wise and spiritual, and speaks with an accent that comes with speaking many different foreign languages. He watches over me, and enlightens me, and keeps me cool when I get frustrated.

The movie really hit home to the feeling of undertaking a project, a commitment, that isn't always easy and isn't always fun, but you keep at it and you don't allow yourself to give up. We start this commitment, this intensive study for a reason; maybe you fell in love with a particular deck; maybe you want to grow into a better reader; maybe you're using this IDS as an allegory for your whole life, proving to yourself that you can finish something.

But how can you manage to finish something if you never really even start it? If you just say to yourself one day, "I think I'll do an IDS now", and you go through your decks and pick a pretty one, and come onto this thread, and announce, without another word, "sign me up!" and get to see your name added to the list, and that's the end of it, then what have you really accomplished? You use other decks in the Reading Exchange, come back here occasionally to announce that you're switching your IDS to a different deck, and then use yet a different deck for something else.

The point here is sticking to it, and not giving up. There are a lot of decks out there, and there are a lot of people here on AT who will be happy to tell you how wonderful, and beautiful, and meaningful they are, and to go buy them, and that the very idea of an "IDS" is silly and something they would never consider. But you (the royal "you" that is, me included) didn't start this IDS because someone told you to. You started it (hopefully) for a purpose.

Find that purpose. Reclaim that purpose. And enjoy, love, grow with the ride that that purpose will take you on.

Of course there's nothing wrong with buying, loving, and enjoying a bunch of different decks. Just look at my profile. I've only been buying for six months and I've got nearly 50 decks. But I buy them because I enjoy finding decks I'm interested in, and it warms me just to have them on the shelf.

In the six weeks since I asked to join this group, the idea of stopping my Haindl IDS or changing decks hasn't even crossed my mind. Why? Because I committed to studying my deck exclusively and intensively, and that's what I'm doing.

Please don't get me wrong-- who am i? I'm certainly not in charge here. I'm just another happy follower of the IDS cult of Kat. It's possible that I'm seeing this thing from my own delusional perspective. But when I signed up for this thing, what I thought I was getting into was a group of people who wanted to seriously talk about their intensive, exclusive study of a deck, and everything, the highs and lows, that comes with that.

I hope that everyone here in this thread is on the same page.

-zan