Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

zan_chan

Thanks, guys. Feeling perfectly de-enabled from de-enabling now (what?)
:eek:
You're both right, as usual. I shall pick up my copy of the Pictorial Key in Artie's honor tonight (I won't read it [ugh] but that's another story).

Meanwhile, I can't even begin to describe how cool it is having the Haindl Rune Oracle to compare to the runes Hermann chose for the majors. <swoon>

teomat

Thanks for your replies everyone - you've given me a lot to think about.

Guided Hermit - I've been thinking (or rather justifying ;)) my need to get the Hermetic for the reasons you say. I know the RWS is partially based on the Golden Dawn system, so I thought having the Hermetic would help deepen my understanding of the deck. However this runs the risk of me switching decks completely.

Bat Chicken - I know what you mean. If my heart's not in it it, it makes the whole IDS process very tough. And as this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby for me, it doesn't really seem worth it. However I hate the idea of quitting. I know I'm putting a negative spin on it, but I've tried to do an IDS three times before and it's never lasted long. I want to push through this apathetic phase, so perhaps I'm putting too much pressure on myself at the moment and should just chill for a while...

Rodney - I absolutely agree with you that I should be forming my own relationship with the deck and not get hung up on what the author's intent may have been. For example, I tend to see the Empress is a negative light even though the documentation on the deck (and practically everywhere else) seems to indicate that this is a very positive card.
I guess part of my intention of doing this IDS was to not only bond with the deck myself, but also the academic/study side - to actually learn the 'real' meanings behind the symbols. Though these meanings might not really resonate with me, I feel the need to understand the system behind this deck as a starting point at least. I guess I need to strike a balance between both my reading and study goals.

Kat - Those are some great suggestions. I'm going to read up on the Golden Dawn some more and I've ordered some of Paul Foster Case's books (apparently they are quite highly regarded when it comes to learning the RWS from the original Waite/Smith point of view). I guess if I knew EVERYTHING about my deck, then it would take out all the fun of the journey. I definitely need to learn more about Rosicrucianism and Freemasonry, and put the deck into some kind of context. I agree that studying both the Hermetic and RWS would be detrimental to me.

Anyway, I think I'll try to chill out a bit and not get so hung up on the whole thing. As I've said, this is the longest I've ever stuck with one deck so perhaps I just need to ride out this apathetic stage. Hopefully it will payoff for me in time.

zan_chan

So I just asked Hermann if there's anything special I should know about our relationship today. Answer: Hermit, 2 of Cups, 4 of Stones. That about sums it up for me. Feeling all comforted now :)

zan_chan

teomat-- I think that the most important thing to keep in mind is the fact that I've been enjoying reading your daily draw thread. Before switching decks, consider your audience :D

teomat

zan_chan said:
teomat-- I think that the most important thing to keep in mind is the fact that I've been enjoying reading your daily draw thread. Before switching decks, consider your audience :D
Thanks zan - I will definitely keep that in mind! :)

Coincidently this is my Emperor week, so perhaps I need to adopt a no-nonsense, no flaffing about attitude.

Bat Chicken

teomat said:
Kat - Those are some great suggestions.
And that is why she is our fearless leader, guide and keeps us going! :) Heck I was inspired and I am not even doing the RWS...

Llynn

I was all fired up about using the Shining Woman for the IDS and then second thoughts came visiting. So I did the New Deck Interview Spread and was relieved. It seems like we will be able to work together - which is just as well as I plan on doing the 78 week study with her. Her? Yes, she is a she although I haven't a name for her yet! I like that zan_chan calls his Haindl Hermann, and so I am now looking for a name for my new 'bestest friend' of all my decks (as my daughter used to say when little) :)

yukinkoicy

YES! It came in! FINALLY!. :D Oh, oh, oh! I am so happy right now. I've been shuffling my cards, pulling and looking, just playing with them without reading, for half an hour now... IT feels great to have them in my hands. I missed them.

And I found out that my roommate bought me The Process. WOW. Geez, I am like going mad, I am so giddy. it's like being high, only theres no physical way I could be. I can't wait. I feel whole. I absolutely cannot wait to do my first reading! However, I shall, because it's not time yet. I need to eat, and get a drink, and settle myself, turn my music off, make my bed a little bit, and get my deck bag from my other Shapeshifters deck, and switch it. I am gonna use my old deck as a project, I'm gonna age it, and probably use to to decoupage a table, once I buy one. :)

I was thinking of kicking my kitty out of my room but I decided against it. If she wants to help me read she can. I am, after all, going to be reading for her in the future. ^_^

Anyways, I forgot how utterly beautiful this deck is. It is definitely going under my pillow tonight, maybe it'll help me sleep better. Even the cards that bother me, I have to admit. Utterly, amazingly gorgeous. Anyways!!! I shall report back (or edit my entry if I am still the last one) after I do my first reading! What should I read about?? I don't want to do my new deck interview until Ive had it for a week, so if anyone has suggestions, I will gladly pick something from those suggestions. :D

thorhammer

Thankyou, BC :) I'm all embarrassed now :D

Llynn - yes, a name . . . "Rachel" is, I have to say, a little on the pedestrian side for that deck, is it not? William (Will) suits my deck, and Hermann suits Zan's Haindl, but yours needs something a little more . . . ?primitive? or something. Let us know what you decide on :) I'm glad the interview spread went well for you :)

yukinkoicy - your enthusiasm is infectious :D I'm glad your deck got there! I've been listening to the Process as well . . . I dunno. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I just don't *get* what's so TOTALLYAWESOMELYFANTASTIC about it. I mean, I got a bit out of it, that has to be said, and I'll listen to it again. But on the whole it was a bit preachy for me. I did like the layout/structure of it, though - the year, the roses, all that stuff. Never mind. As to a spread for you to use . . . Hmm. I'm such a fan of this one: A Walk in the Woods which we used in the exchange a week or so ago. It's pretty, poetic, simple yet meaty . . . just a suggestion, though :)

\m/ Kat

Cat*

Bat Chicken said:
I am baffled by the 9 of Cups being what I need to leave behind... I think this deck is messing with me!
Random, unbidden, spontaneous idea that may or may not be useful: Oversharing (as in giving too much and getting too little). And/or being all over the place with your energy. In need of focus.

Use or discard at your convenience. ;)

thorhammer said:
I've been listening to the Process as well . . . I dunno. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I just don't *get* what's so TOTALLYAWESOMELYFANTASTIC about it. I mean, I got a bit out of it, that has to be said, and I'll listen to it again. But on the whole it was a bit preachy for me. I did like the layout/structure of it, though - the year, the roses, all that stuff. Never mind.
My main criticism of The Process is the extreme lack of pauses inbetween the speaking. When I heard all the praise for the great storytelling of the audio book, I guess I expected something much slower and more theatrically/dramatically read. In that regard, I was disappointed about what I got.

I'd much prefer these stories in written form. In fact, I had initially read some of them right here on the purple pages - and found it much easier to "see" and "hear" the drama of them then, compared to the audio book version. Alas, the powers that be have chosen differently, so the audio book (and AT threads) is what we get and that's it.

I probably should say that I find most tarot books I've seen so far much, much, much, much worse than The Process (I know that sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I'm generally really hard to satisfy when it comes to tarot/spirituality books), so I'm certainly not saying it's a total waste of time and money. I like The Process's focus on reading the cards in our own way and for other people, I like the idea of teaching by storytelling, I like many of the small bits and pieces, and I did get a couple of good ideas/reminders out of it. I just expected... more.

Interestingly, I also thought about my Process CDs a couple of days ago, wondering if I should get them out to listen to them some more. I decided against it. I just couldn't see The Process working well alongside the Greenwood. My main focus right now simply isn't on reading for others.

In fact, my main focus may not even be on tarot as such. The Greenwood more and more seems to be a tool that opens doors into other areas (mostly somehow shamanism-related) for me. Which is perfectly fine. After all, this was part of my IDS "pledge":
Cat* said:
CONTEXT: I see this IDS as a part of a more focused exploration of what I tentatively call shamanic practices.
Seems to work! :)