Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

Marirowana

learn from the best

For anyone who's interested, here is a thread that lists the previous projects :) I enjoyed watching it.

Cenozoic

Great daphne, thanks! I'll PM you :)

I'm trying to figure out what we can say about copyright, do you have any suggestions, Conozoic? I want to write something like 'By submitting your art, you agree with...' And thanks for you other comments, we'll take it in consideration :)

Maybe... something like "You (the artist) retain sole copyright ownership, but by submitting your artwork for "The Aeclectic's Collaborative Deck Project of 2014" (I hope that's right), you hereby agree to offer the "6 team" and/or members officially chosen by the "6 team" permission to manipulate/change (annabel has to add the boarders and such), copy, print, and redistribute the artwork as a collaborative deck (well printing and redistributing the deck could be for a "limited time" and then state the time period in like for example from july 1 2014 to dec 30 2014). And then starting from (let's say Aug 30 2014, this is just an example) the artwork will only be used in the "Free Tarot Readings" section on the aeclectic website (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/free-readings/), whereby anyone online can access a computer generated free reading. The free reading will use the aforementioned artwork, for entertainment purposes only. All proceeds will go to (where's the money going to? Or just state that the cost of the printed deck, goes into printing and shipping fees, and the rest goes into proceeds for a charity or into upholding the aeclectic website itself perhaps). This is a voluntary project, and you hereby agree with the terms and conditions upheld by the "6 team" and/or members officially chosen by the "6 team", and the aeclectic website owner Kate Hill (www.aeclectic.net, and www.tarotfurm.net), and the conditions upheld by the moderators on aeclectic as well."

I can only think of this much. If you have anything else to add please do. Change it how you see fit. As a disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer or an expert in copyright. This is my first time writing something like this, so I'm sorry if it's not very formal, and it's all in a big paragraph kind of blob. But I hope it helps

Oh right, if you don't know the specific date of something, you can put "yet to be decided" or something like that.

Marirowana

Thanks a lot, Cenozoic! We can definitely adjust and use it. It shouldn't scare people, so maybe we'll make it slightly shorter, but it is good to have something covered for everyone, and get nobody in trouble.

At the same time I was writing something as well :D this is all I could come up with:

"By submitting your images on the Aeclectic Tarot forum in threads regarding the Fifth Collaboration Deck or in the Dropbox account (link), you give permission for the use and/or publication of your work for the purpose of distributing the deck for members of AT and/or non-members, without a profit. The deck might be available in PDF and/or printed. The artwork always remains your own, you just give permission for the use of it."

I got a bit lost in the English language and I missed many points, so thanks for your work!

Cenozoic

Thanks a lot, Cenozoic! We can definitely adjust and use it. It shouldn't scare people, so maybe we'll make it slightly shorter, but it is good to have something covered for everyone, and get nobody in trouble.

At the same time I was writing something as well :D this is all I could come up with:

"By submitting your images on the Aeclectic Tarot forum in threads regarding the Fifth Collaboration Deck or in the Dropbox account (link), you give permission for the use and/or publication of your work for the purpose of distributing the deck for members of AT and/or non-members, without a profit. The deck might be available in PDF and/or printed. The artwork always remains your own, you just give permission for the use of it."

I got a bit lost in the English language and I missed many points, so thanks for your work!

No problem. I think yours sound very formal which is better than me. And I agree with cutting it shorter! I have the tendency to type and ramble on about things, and I tend to talk more more when I'm sleepy like right now. :)

maybe instead of "the artwork always remain your own, you just give permission for the use of it", you can write "The original artist and/or artists own copyright for the submitted artwork, and you (the artist and/or artists) give us (aeclectic and the team working on the deck) permission to manipulate/change, copy, print, and redistribute the artwork, and/or otherwise provide a PDF available for online download of the deck."

Oops I just realized how scary mine sounds. Hmm, maybe you can word yours to sound more inviting and friendlier than what I just did lol

trzes

What Cenozoic wrote sounds good indeed.

IMO the most imortant points are copyright, limited time for redistribution, one print run only, and maybe a statement that high resolution scans of the images won't be made available to the public (low res scans on ATF or in PDF files should be fine).

If it's about losing control over one's artwork then one well defined limited print should be far less of an issue than high res scans floating around through the internet.

I am not at all concerned about who should be allowed to get a deck, as long as people place their orders during a limited time period before the one and only print is done.

Cenozoic

What Cenozoic wrote sounds good indeed.

IMO the most imortant points are copyright, limited time for redistribution, one print run only, and maybe a statement that high resolution scans of the images won't be made available to the public (low res scans on ATF or in PDF files should be fine).

If it's about losing control over one's artwork then one well defined limited print should be far less of an issue than high res scans floating around through the internet.

I am not at all concerned about who should be allowed to get a deck, as long as people place their orders during a limited time period before the one and only print is done.

Thanks trzes :)

Yes I agree that stating the resolution should be very important, considering giving high res files to the public would perhaps allow them make unofficial prints and such, breaching copyright of everyone who collaborated on the deck.

And I was thinking a limited time printing would definitely be good for this project, since members want a printed deck, but it's not good to keep on producing the deck since that may breach copyrights as well.

Hmm now I'm wondering about dropbox. If the artists drop high res images into it, then I hope it's only viewable and downloadable by the team members and the post-production crew. Otherwise anyone who has access to that dropbox can just snatch the high res images up, take anything they wished, and that wouldn't be a good thing. So I hope there's some settings for a one-way drop off or something.

reall

@annabel398 Finally! ;))) lolz

@Gulliver maybe no need for new progress page? Just reedit this thread Our new AT deck and add that and in *progress* or *finished* beside each card?:)))
Btw there is a list of staff names so when someone finish card send it to annabel (spam lolz)or who we agree on?;))) we need to distribute contributors!:)))

btw imo we could get at least 35pesons and if everyone agree to do 3/5cards if necessary no probl?:))) but lets don’t rush and leave enough time for more contributors to join!:)))

and no need to worry for *short* or *no time* just mail us if needed!^^ ;))

@Cenozoic; these categories can be all added in first post of theme Our new AT deck
I vote for PNG!
We need to agree where to drop artworks into once they're finished!;))

And for copyright clause we could just copy what was used in previous yrs?:)))
lets leave that to Marirowana and Cenozoic! @trzes like idea!:))

gregory

I searched, but some pages are very well hidden in these purple caves ;) Do you know of any printed deck, TB?

Ofcourse, no profit for anyone, and if it will be printable it will be just for AT members, I think. We are working with people's artwork, we might have to think about copyright? And saying something like 'by posting your card here, you agree with printing and distributing non-profit blabla..' I don't know.

I think Gulliver had contact with Solandia :)
The only printed one from HERE was the ATC deck. Each artist printed enough copies of the cards THEY did to send one to each artist.

I have been involved with printed decks from other forums. One person collected numbers (they were ONLY available to the artist involved) and got that number printed; we then paid for her to send them on to us. Decks were NOT available to anyone who had not created a card.

I have voted against a printed deck - I'd like them done as we have always had them here - on line only - but that is just me. I would be very unhappy if it were up there on gamecrafter for anyone to buy. I would not do more than one card if it were to be printed.

annabel398

FWIW, I am investigating other printers. The point gregory makes about GC's open distribution is a good one--I myself always envisioned this as a VERY limited distribution deck. My preference would be MPC (so far) but I'm awaiting samples before presenting a case to the group.

I suggested a copyright statement in an early post (not enough time to read through them all) to the effect that the artist retains copyright but allows AT to use their art for a limited edition deck. I'll try to put together some language that is non-jargony but protects everyone's rights -- I work with intellectual-property lawyers. =)

More to come...

Marirowana

I have voted against a printed deck - I'd like them done as we have always had them here - on line only - but that is just me. I would be very unhappy if it were up there on gamecrafter for anyone to buy. I would not do more than one card if it were to be printed.

Well, we definitely don't want anyone to be unhappy in the project :) IF we go for printing, it will probably be for deck creators and/or AT members only, with a limited time for ordering - after that period of time, the orders will stop and it will only be available on=line. It won't be available for just anyone to buy, that would be a whole different project. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, gregory, we'll take everything in consideration.

ETA: @Annabel thanks, I agree with the very limited idea, and thanks for looking into the printers and copyright statements :)