Book of Thoth Study Group- The Priestess

Zephyros

3.The Moon. Gimel
She is a spiritual Isis and a virgin Artemis. With her veil of light she is weaving the crystals and fruits of the Earth. She carries the huntress's and the musical systrum.
Lady Frieda Harris, 1942

Sorry again for the delay, I started a new job and I barely have time to breathe. Anyway , this is what Harris writes about the Priestess, pretty straightforward.
What do you think?

InvisibleSoul

I love the way she painted the prism/net/spirit waves on top of everything else!

This is SUCH a beautiful card!

I see the infinity figure 8 around her eyes...

Not so much hidden symbolic detail in this one, but GORGEOUS nonetheless! :)

CreativeFire

The High Priestess is one of my favourite cards in any deck but I especially love the image of her in the Thoth Deck. I have this card blown up and in a frame on the wall of my reading room (along with a few others from the Thoth).

The criss-cross looking net drawn in front of her, to me looks like a "veil" as it seems to be hanging between two pillars as well. And being that you often see the veil and pillars in High Priestess cards this makes sense.

Also it looks like she has a bow and arrow across her lap, behind the veil. When I first looked at it though it did give the impression of a stylised book as well (as I have seen some HP cards with a book on her knee - like you see the scroll of Tora in others).

All those crescent moons above her head definitely relate to the feminine, goddess for me. Her crown even looks a bit like the triple goddess symbol as well.

CreativeFire

Zephyros

Truly one of the most beautiful cards in any deck, and here especially. Here, she has a power that goes beyond the Priestess in other decks.

TheoMo

closrapexa said:
Truly one of the most beautiful cards in any deck, and here especially. Here, she has a power that goes beyond the Priestess in other decks.

I meditated on the card and the first thing that struck me was the power of the Priestess. Her veil become incredibly bright and I could barely make out her form behind the glowing veil, and I realized I shouldn't even attempt to try. There is a sense though that the veil protects the reader from an even greater power that the Priestess commands or is at least associated with, so I was greatful to it. I saw her cast out the net as well, although I'm not sure what why. The offerings at the bottom also confused me -- are they offerings to her, or are they her gifts to us? When I concentrated on the camel I saw it moving in a vast open desert. Perhaps there is a "journey" aspect to this card, a slow steady movement in reaching one's goal?

btw, nice signature closrapexa ;)

Diwha

From The Royal Road

The Numerological Value of The Priestess is 2. This is the number of balance, of harmony. She is the balancing power between two opposites, light and dark. However, she has no preference for either, but merely awaits the result of a focused effort of the conscious mind. This symbolic balancing can also be seen in the form of the Priestess, herself. The upper half of her body is female, expressing the receptive, subconscious, and reproductive power. This is further accentuated by the upturned crescent moons behind her head. The lower half of her body is male, symbolizing the active male principle, straight, direct, and aggressive in its purpose. This symbolism is accentuated by the bow and arrow laying across her lap.

In spiritual terms, the Priestess represents the middle pillar between the Father in his most glorious aspect, and the Son in his most perfect manifestation. She is the direct connection, the most spiritual form of Isis and Artemis, clothed only in a radiant veil of light. Crowley and others believed that this veil of light represented not the divine light of Spirit, but rather was the veil that hides the Spirit.

Diwha

hyatt

My favorite part of the Priestess is the camel at the bottom of the card in the mairage of fruits and flowers. I think the idea of the camel holding water in it's hump and crossing a desert in nice. Holding the collected unconscious inside during long journeys of spiritual drought is beautiful.

linabeet

It seems we're all enchanted by the preistess. I know I am. Is is the power of those cloaking lines that draw us in and keep us out? I hadn't noticed the swirl on her lap was a bow and arrow. The danger inherent in taking her messages from beyond. It indicates what she offers will stike through your heart if it chooses to strike at all.

A. Arrien says Kuan Yin is her eastern counterpart, the compassionate goddess of abundance.

My perceptions of the HP have been mainly as a channeler of spiritual connection for the benefit of other people, that as diviniation you are either having this through someone or doing it for someone. I had never thought of it as a self reflective process as well. She connects for herself first, gifts to others follow after. Her own work, our work, happens behind the veil, protected from the dangers that challenge on edoing such open work.

Are the items at the bottom offerings?

VGimlet

I am also struck by the crescent moons both over her, and below her feet, and the way the energy/veil/light forms a cup between her arms, with the bow on her lap as the base. The connection again, between the male and female.