Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot History & Development

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Ross G Caldwell 
Citizen

RIP Michael Hurst

Many people here will know the contributions of Michael Hurst to Tarot history. It is my sad duty to inform them that Michael died on Wednesday, August 24, of a sudden heart attack at his home in California.

A search of his posts on Aeclectic will bring up hundreds of examples of his dogged persistence in presenting the facts of Tarot history, along with epic debates among the major participants in this forum. Despite his caustic wit, which frequently got him into trouble, and made him some enemies, I hope that participants will remember him more for his generous posts, often accompanied by helpfully designed, illustrative artwork, and his unique take on Tarot's meaning - "Know your place. Practice the Virtues. Trust in God." His last post on his own blog, "Pre-Gebelin Tarot History", in March of this year, is also, fittingly, a discussion of Tarot as illustrating the Dance of Death (Danse Macabre).
http://pre-gebelin.blogspot.fr/

Of his life outside of Tarot history I know little; I don't even know his year of birth with certainty, nor what he did as a profession. From hints over the years, I believe he was born in 1950.

Michael J. Hurst
Tarot historian and interpreter
1950-2016
RIP

"Die Irrthümer grosser Männer sind verehrungswürdig, weil sie fruchtbarer sind als die Wahrheiten der kleinen." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Trionfi
http://trionfi.com

Tarot Essays
http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot
Ross G Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

That is so sad - a great loss. Thanks for telling us - we miss so many such events when no-one mentions them.

I is very deaf. Please post loudly !

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Gwynydd 
Citizen

May he rest in peace
Gwynydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Sulis 
believer in magic

Thanks for telling us Ross, I remember Michael Hurst.. May he rest in peace xx

'There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in' - Leonard Cohen

'Be excellent to each other' - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Sulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Ross G Caldwell 
Citizen

Thanks Sulis, Gwynydd.

Although I never met him in the flesh, he was a fellow traveller in the intellectual wilderness for 15 years, and he was already pursuing this study online by 1999, two years before I began. He had a rare sincerity and clarity, and an even rarer breadth of knowledge. He also wrote well and profusely, something I admired.

We certainly rarely saw eye-to-eye on anything, especially in these last few years. I was often the target of his mordant criticism, although not as often as others. I don't think anyone ever examined or critiqued his ideas as fully as he would have wished, and he no doubt felt ignored, even where people have generously helped themselves from his enormous output. He was a great believer and practitioner of "a picture speaks a thousand words", and he spent most of his time finding cognates for Tarot in artwork. He was, foremost, an iconographic interpreter.

The Tarot history world has lost a great star. I will miss him, and the sense that he is lurking somewhere, reading what I post and ready to leap out of the silence with biting sarcasm, or, if I'm lucky, a strong attaboy.

"Die Irrthümer grosser Männer sind verehrungswürdig, weil sie fruchtbarer sind als die Wahrheiten der kleinen." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Trionfi
http://trionfi.com

Tarot Essays
http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot
Ross G Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Laura Borealis 
pirate borealis

That's sad news. I have learned a lot from his blog and appreciated the knowledge that he shared.

Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
blue_fusion 
Alien

I remember visiting his blog every now and then. Such a sad loss for such a small comunity (Tarot). May he rest in peace.

-Ly

water my days with patient tears
blue_fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
Bernice 
Denizen of the Coalsack Nebula

Thank you Ross for letting AT know of this sad news.

It's true he had a depth and wealth of knowledge, and as you say he freely shared it, here and on his site. Despite his sometimes 'caustic wit' as you put it, his contribution to Tarot can only be matched by a small number of other historians and researchers who have have posted here.

Go In Peace Michael.

Bee
Bernice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
prudence 
Reader

Thank you, Ross, for letting us know. Very sad news, a big loss for the tarot community. Rest in peace, Michael, and thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge about tarot history.

And everyday the paper boy brings more. ~Pink Floyd
prudence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Astraea 
Senior Citizen

I'm so sorry to hear this. Michael Hurst was very generous in sharing his knowledge, and I'm grateful to have learned a lot from him. May his family and loved ones be comforted.

(Rosicrucian maxim)
Astraea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today