Waite or Not?

Lillie

I think it looks like Christopher Lee.
As a young man.

Laura Borealis

ACKSHERLY I would have said that it possibly could match with the last one in that collage. And he may not have had a moustache in his early years - just as my SO didn't have a beard when we got together - not for a long time. I shall see if I can persuade picasa to tell me...

ETA WHY can't I make picasa add that to an album.... :mad:

But the lapels are very like the one in the sepia pic.

No, he might not have always had a mustache. Men do shave them :)

My SO looks very different with one.* That's why I said it's tricky. BUT the face shape is mainly what I'm going by.

I couldn't find any pics of A.E. without the mustache or I'd have posted them.

I looked up lapels and couldn't find anything definitive, they seem to shrink and expand with the whims of the season, but I still think that Mystery Mage's suit looks more modern. The ones in the sepia pic of A.E. are actually a lot shorter - the notch part looks similar but the length is the cute little Edwardian (?) lapel.

As a young man.

Yeah, I can see that. And Lee has one of those longer, leaner faces.

* I'm afraid I laughed when my SO shaved his after having it for years. His face just looked so naked.

Laura Borealis

Now I'm imagining A.E. as a mustached baby... an infant, even, emerging from his mother's womb with a full lip of hair. :laugh:

Lillie

No way in hell is that photo from the 1880s.
Waite was born in 1857. (Wiki says)
So how young is young?

Also suit wrong as Laura said. Peaked lapels on a casual suit?

Laura Borealis

Here are all those pictures not in a collage, just for kicks.

Attachments

• AEWaite_1900.jpg
    AEWaite_1900.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 148
  • AE Waite.gif
    AE Waite.gif
    49.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Waite.jpeg
    Waite.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Mystery mage.jpg
    Mystery mage.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 145

kwaw

Started of as esoteric or exoteric-
-developed into mustache or no mustache:D

Laura Borealis

Started of as esoteric or exoteric-
-developed into mustache or no mustache:D

Truly the exoteric side of the question :D

I wonder if the mystery mage is another G.D. member, or at least someone else in the occult field. Possibly a young Israel Regardie?

Not Israel Regardie - his ears stuck out. :p

Zephyros

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_twain

Seems that look was popular then

ravenest

As a young man.

Yes, it does a bit .... but far too 'innocent' ! Waite could never capture this look :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B3EPMOMf-...w0dtA/s600/tumblr_mhzqty4asS1qbbjxvo1_500.jpg

I was also thinking about a young H P Lovecraft ... but that jaw and mouth of his is even more prominent when Lovvie was younger.... so, no.

Maybe the pic of mystery man was compressed horizontally a bit ? The face looks like that. I copied it and widened the pic .... hmmm , perhaps the eyes are a little too close together for Waite .... we need one of those facial recognition things scanners.