What's the highest price you've spent on a deck?

VGimlet

The most I've paid was 250. for the folchi felicita, and I was happy to pay it.

The most DH has paid was for a gift for me, the last Folchi deck I didn't have. I wouldn't have paid that much, (500 us) but he knew I'd never send him another e-mail about Folchi decks again. :p

I remember when I just about passed out when I paid 135.19 (yes, I remember exactly) for a 1st edition Rock and Roll tarot right before the 2nd edition came out.

But most of my decks were bought when they were new, or when they were out of print, but before they became hard to find. DH is the one who has bought the more expensive decks in my collection, because he is a very nice man. And I've never complained about how much his hobbies cost. And his hobbies; racing karts, crashing, I mean flying RC helicopters, rebuilding old cars have, er, recurring expenses, shall we say.

Darkmage

I think the most I ever paid for a deck was $25? Maybe $30? This is USD.

I found most of my decks when they were new. I have no problem buying used decks, they'll usually go for half list. I think the most I ever paid for a used deck was about $25 or so and that was because the Mage: The Ascension Tarot is OOP and rare. Even my 9th Dimension Tarot was only $12.

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. But I look around at used bookstores and the like before Ebay every time. I found my Mage tarot in an antique store, of all places.

I don't trade decks though--shipping is prohibitive, even in the US, and I can get a better deal if I trade my old decks to someplace like Bookman's. They'll often have a deck or two I'm looking for at that time as well.

gregory

I think the most I ever paid for a deck was $25? Maybe $30? This is USD.

I found most of my decks when they were new.
Me too - and as I have been collecting since 1975, I have loads of decks I bought for maybe $15 that sell now for $300-400 !!!

I have no problem buying used decks, they'll usually go for half list. I think the most I ever paid for a used deck was about $25 or so and that was because the Mage: The Ascension Tarot is OOP and rare. Even my 9th Dimension Tarot was only $12.

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. But I look around at used bookstores and the like before Ebay every time. I found my Mage tarot in an antique store, of all places.
Yes - I've found good stuff in used bookstores and the like, too. But some decks are just - well, for instance, the Jumbledance was very limited and was completely sold out before I ever heard of it...

Aulruna

250 EUR for a Transwaite. Totally worth it.

I don't pay high prices for more or less mass produced decks just because they are OOP - made an exception for the Servants of the Light, I think I paid around 90 USD for that - I really wanted it. But I have a few decks that were pricey new, like the LE Tarot of Dreams or the Daniloff.

avalonian

For me that would be the Greenwood, I paid £100 for it, didn't even know I wanted it until I was handed it to look at (accompanied by the words "I know you won't want this but would you like to have a look at it?").

:) :) :)

Carla

Well, I just paid $50 ($25 for deck, $25 for international shipping) for a deck I've already got two versions of. Tsk. And yet, I'm wildly excited about it. This means I will be able to trim one of the other ones.

It isn't sad is it. Nope.

Nytebugg

I think the most I've ever paid was just under $100 for my first edition Victorian Romantic. a few months prior to that though I bought a first edition Bohemian Gothic at a used bookstore for $12.

Le Fanu

I hate these threads. I get embarrassed...

But I'll be selective about what I disclose. I have a few "expensive when new" ones such as the Daniloff (100-150 euros category).

I paid a lot for my Ironwing/78 ($350) and I really don't think it was worth it. The seller was selling it for the market value - no gripe there - but it isn't a deck I find as interesting as I feel I should and if I sell it I won't make any profit on it so it just hangs around getting rather dusty.

But then the decks I have spent a lot on are counterbalanced by the fabulous, rare and OOP decks I have found for a song, so it all balances out.

zan_chan

I paid a lot for my Ironwing/78 ($350) and I really don't think it was worth it. The seller was selling it for the market value - no gripe there - but it isn't a deck I find as interesting as I feel I should and if I sell it I won't make any profit on it so it just hangs around getting rather dusty.

Was that me? It was, wasn't it? If it helps, that money probably went to a bunch of video games that I've long since forgotten :p I spent about the same on my Greenwood, but I didn't find it nearly as interesting as I was apparently supposed to, so I passed it along.