Medieval Scapini arrived today

Morwenna

A few weeks ago I encountered a dealer who had two copies of the Medieval Scapini: one window-box deck printed in Switzerland, and one solid-box deck printed in Italy. That may be the difference. (I almost bought the Switzerland copy but I felt too broke to spring for it.)

Freddie

When I lived in America about 7 (????) years ago I remember that Barnes & Noble had Tarot samples on flip charts. I remember thinking it was horrible, because it was so distorted and flat looking. I suspect mine was possibly made in Italy, because the cardstock is so thin. I also looked at the LWB closely and it had decks like Haindl and Spiral listed on the back.

I am quite happy with this deck. I love the metallic 3d depth and it has gotten me interested in the Major Arcana meditation again. I do find that the cardstock is very thin, but will flex / retract as well as my vintage '79 Morgan Greer. These are long cards and not easy to shuffle so them being thin makes that easier I think.

I like the fact that everyone in the deck doesn't look like they popped out of a Hollywood fashion magazine.... everyone is not blonde and blue eyed...

This deck is a middle ground of Rider Waite and Vistconti I think. I think Rider Waite people will be able to read most cards, but some may require additional study for them. I was wrong in thinking it could be read RW style right off the bat.

freddie

minrice

I too love this deck! I have the Swiss version with the gold. It has read very accurately for me so far and I really think that is because the beautiful paintings are so detailed and varied. There is so much to look at, focus in on during a particular reading, so many possibilities. I notice something "new" every time I look through the deck! The detail is incredible, pictures within pictures within pictures.

I believe Scapini wrote that when he did this deck he didn't know very much about Tarot at all. It shows lol, in my opinion I don't see much RWS imagery or inspiration which is why it can be a difficult deck to read and not one I would recommend to someone just learning Tarot. But this is what makes the deck so different and inspired. The book is funky, I received it as a gift from an AT member :) so I'll always have it but I think you really have to interpret these cards yourself. You're right, you can't read it RW style right off the bat! I couldn't! It is a beautiful hot mess at times, lol. It's a lot of fun though.

I love that it is colorful, and like you said there are people from all walks of life and people literally all colors of the rainbow. In many ways they look like real people to me, Scapini wasn't afraid to "ugly" some of them up! It is just a really beautiful deck. I've traded and sold a few of my decks but I've never had the heart to part with this one!

Le Fanu

Morwenna said:
A few weeks ago I encountered a dealer who had two copies of the Medieval Scapini: one window-box deck printed in Switzerland, and one solid-box deck printed in Italy. That may be the difference. (I almost bought the Switzerland copy but I felt too broke to spring for it.)

This happened to me. Two different shops almost next door to each other had it in stock; one printed in Italy, the other AG Muller made in Switzerland, with the little window. Massive price difference. Almost double the price, but after what Id read here about the difference in production, I bought the Made in Switzerland one. Admittedly, the quality is excellent, sharp, rich, golden images and quality cardstock (not flimsy at all)

gregory

Very wise. The other is crap, to be polite (I bought it extremely cheaply, to get the book, which didn't come with my original copy.) The COLOUR is HORRIBLE - all sort of yellowy and not in a nice way.

minrice

Le Fanu said:
quality cardstock (not flimsy at all)

I thought about adding that to my post, I agree the cardstock is wonderful on that edition.

lijewi

I bought my deck at the Cloisters gift shop in New York about five years ago and was very surprised later on to see it in other places (I have no idea why, but I thought the museum had had it specially made or something!). My deck is absolutely beautiful, no muddiness (it's the version with the window) though I remember the box was absolute hell to open. I had to resort to cutting the top insert with little nail scissors for it to come loose. The cards are little too narrow for my hands but the colors and the artwork are beautiful. One of my favorite decks, would absolutely recommend it.

Jaws_Victim

This was the second deck I purchased, after my Jonathan Dee Tarot. I loved it, but never really felt that spark you need to read with. The biggest problem I have is that it's NOT a beginner deck, and I'm trying to relearn the meanings of the cards again.

I did pull it out recently and recognized how beautiful it looks. I even bought it its very own tote from tarottotes. I plan on "graduating" to it when I finish learning with the Rider waite deck.

swanpetal

This deck is a favourite of mine, though the deck I have is missing about 15 cards. About seven of those missing cards are hanging in a shop window in Seattle.

I visited this shop [I forgot the name of it] and asked the kind man working there if they had tarot cards. He pulled two decks off a very dusty shelf and said this is all they had. My friend that was with me suggested I can use them for my art projects. I was reluctant as I wanted to buy a complete deck for readings. But these cards just seemed to say "Please take us home, give us new life!" And so I offered to buy them but the kind man gave them to me for free as it was an incomplete deck with no box, no book.

Since then, I look through them almost everyday and can't bare to use them for some project... maybe a journaling one. They are beautiful to look at.

The deck is very yellowed and still feel dusty to touch. The copyright says 1984 U.S. game Systems in New York.

I wish I could find the rest of the cards, and get the ones in the window... but maybe those ones aren't ready to leave their shop window.