Night Sun Tarot

Clockwork Ghost

Man, this is one brutal deck- it's a bit like the Deviant Moon in that it is straight to the point, and doesn't lie to you if it wants to tell you you're being an idiot, but where the Deviant Moon uses humour, the Night Sun is like a sledgehammer to the face.

I would definitely recommend this deck - it is probably the best deck I've used for personal, no nonsense readings.

Le Fanu

I don't really subscribe to the idea of "to the point / tell it like it is / no nonsense" decks. I think it's all in the mind - I suppose we tend to think that of decks we like, or of decks that read effortlessly.

It's funny but I bought the Night Sun Tarot as soon as it came out, found it very meh and synthetic (yes, something plastic about the artwork), gave it away, felt an urge to reaquire and now find that I rather like it. Not sure about the females in the deck - they're a bit blow-up doll-like, which is odd as the male figures have a more credible air, and I really feel that male/female imbalance.

But I like the darkness of the deck - that faceless Fool and some of the Pentacles. A deck I think I might grow into. It's definitely dark, without shouting it from the rooftops. And I also think it reads very well.

jema

I got this one in the mail this week and it is odd and almost a bit disturbing but in a good way.
I like it so far. But don't really understand it.
What is coming out of the magicians mouth?
Ropes? A snake? Why?
And the details are so tiny I need my magnifying glass. still, pretty nice.

Tanga

I like it.
It fills the "dark" that I was looking for without (for me) - wearing out one particular subject, splattering S&M/sex all-over-the-place, or just having artwork I don't like.

:)

"How a deck reads" - is subjective, imo. So what's "direct" or "dark" for one, may not be for another.

I got this one in the mail this week...
What is coming out of the magicians mouth?

Looks like strings of beads. Makes me think of a mala (prayer beads).

VioletEye

i've been looking hard at this deck... i'm not really a collector, and i'm really picky... but... there appears to be something special about this one.

i just wanted to pop in here and say that when i first looked at it on amazon, it was around $21 us; and right now it's only $13 and change.

i'm still on the fence, but that price is sweet!

rwcarter

My first, second and third looks at this deck still leave me with a WTF reaction.... A friend let me borrow hers, so I'll be able to look at it again another day. The LWB explained some of my WTF moments with the deck, but not all of them.

I applaud LoS for pushing the boundaries of what's considered a tarot deck, but I really wish when a deck is as out there as this one is in term of "non-standard" imagery that they would release a companion book with it....

earthair

Can someone tell me what's going on with the elements of the suits, and order of courts please? This has been in and out of my cart 3 times now! Also it seems to have small size cards?

rwcarter

Can someone tell me what's going on with the elements of the suits, and order of courts please? This has been in and out of my cart 3 times now! Also it seems to have small size cards?
Standard LoS deck size (66mm x 120mm) if memory serves.

The LWB says the order is Page, Queen, King, Knight (again if memory serves), but the cards in my friend's deck were ordered Page, Knight, Queen, King. But the LWB also says that the deck follows the Thoth ordering (which is Princess, Prince, Queen, Knight). As there are no Princess or Prince cards, that's obviously not true. Princess and Page are somewhat equivalent, but the King is NOT equivalent to the Prince.

The suits have the "standard" elemental associations of Earth = Discs, Air = Swords, Water = Chalices and Fire = Wands.