the Sevens

tarotbear

In the Sevens, our dreadlocked, skateboard-riding Charioteer continues on Life's adventures. For some of us, Sevens denote a period of introspection or solitude. They also indicated unlooked-for advantages or gain through things that come unexpectedly.

Cups - No floating, mysterious cups here! Our skateboarder is in front of a bookstore, perusing the titles on display. LWB: "Choosing between different approaches. Contemplating choices when you should be acting." The Seven Cups is sometimes the card of being unfocused, wasting too much time on pipe dreams, a card about setting your priorities and cutting the crap out of your life. Having stopped long enough to look at the books, one wonders if he will go inside and buy one to read, or be off on his skateboard living in the moment again. This card says 'stop and smell the coffee.' After you do, make a decision and stick with it.

Coins - The first time I saw this I had to translate the image and said -- OH! The farmer/gardener contemplating his crop yield! Mr. Skateboarder has stopped long enough to trim the hedges in the yard. Not sure if trimming bushes actually relates to growing a crop of something; after all, hedges are plants that grow for ornamentation and a crop is food, cash, or an upcoming project. The farmer has planted the seeds and tended the plants and hopes to see the end he is working towards. All bushes do is keep growing and need more trimming. Whatever! The Skateborder has stopped to look at the work he has accomplished trimming the hedges and maintaining his yard. LWB: "Planning your next move. Clearing out what's unnecessary in your life to make room for something new." (He wants to rip out those stupid hedges and put in a hot tub! LOL!)

Wands - Although the stance of the figure is borrowed directly from the RWS, gone are the adversaries wielding staves against the single male at the top of the heap. They have been replaced by Mother Nature's rage and our hapless skateborder wields an umbrella in a rainstorm instead of a Wand for his defense. Battling the wind and the rain, one wonders if the umbrella will perform it's intended function or be turned inside-out and rendered useless. LWB:" Confrontation. Winning against the odds." That does imply that he will win, whereas I feel the RWS is a little indefinate, that the man is outnumbered and was taken by surprise (that is why he has one shoe and one boot on) and the outcome is in question. In the Robin Wood the man on the hilltop is smiling because he is outnumbered but has confidence in himself. In any case - the struggle of the card is still indicated.

....and you're probably wondering why I am not addressing the Seven of Swords in this post ...? :)

Lee

tarotbear said:
Wands [...] LWB:" Confrontation. Winning against the odds." That does imply that he will win, whereas I feel the RWS is a little indefinate, that the man is outnumbered and was taken by surprise (that is why he has one shoe and one boot on) and the outcome is in question. In the Robin Wood the man on the hilltop is smiling because he is outnumbered but has confidence in himself. In any case - the struggle of the card is still indicated.
I'll grant that perhaps I should have left it a bit more ambiguous. In tarot in general and in this deck in particular, my inclination was to lean a bit towards the positive. I'm an optimistic kind of guy. :) In my defense, there are several sources that define the corresponding RWS card in this positive light.

-- Lee