Um.... I just bought a secondhand deck "The Rider Tarot Deck"...

linnie

Ok... so it's looking like a 1996-ish vintage... and a wrongly-associated box... Ok..... thank you... you are both wonderful... and ever-so-determined!!!! :)

I don't think I dare enter the chasm that is 'another forum'.... :)

rwcarter

linnie said:
No, KariRoad... it's ISBN is 0-913866-13-X. The barcode on the box is just the retailer's price barcode on a sticker, whereas the ISBN is printed directly on the box.

You are both very kind going to so much trouble to discover this deck's real identity... but I somehow think you might just enjoy the chase... heh heh!!!

Of course!!!... Italian... not Spanish... doh!!! (This pea-sized brain is strictly monolingual!!!! :))
My multi-lingual USG deck has the same ISBN on the bottom of the box as linnie's does.

As I posted in the other thread, the box is exactly the same as that of my deck with a 33rd printing LWB. The top of the box says "THE RIDER-WAITE TAROT DECK" without a registered symbol. The back of both boxes says in part, ""Printed in Switzerland Expressly for U.S. GAMES SYSTEMS, INC. Stamford, CT 06902 USA".

I don't see any difference on the outside of the boxes. What's different is what's inside the boxes. In one case it's a regular (English) printing with copyrights on the cards and no blank cards while in the other it's a deck with multilingual titles, copyrights on the cards, 1 Rider-Waite Tarot card (in multiple languages about the creation of the deck) and one other titles card. Both decks have a 33rd printing LWB in them.

Rodney

Abrac

Thanks for sharing that Rodney. I was wondering what yours might be like.

It's got me baffled. Unless your box also got switched which seems like a stretch. :confused:

KariRoad

My 5 language deck box has a sticker on it: "5 Language Edition" ...but I can't find it (yet, still looking)... so I'm guessing now, they boxed them in regular boxes, and just put on a special sticker label..?

I got it for nothing, since the eBay seller sent me the wrong deck, and when I politely asked for either a refund or the correct item, they refunded me for the auction and sent the 5 language deck anyway! 2 decks for free, really. Gottta love it :)

It's a stupid deck, 5 stupid typest languages, idiotic for serious appreciation or meditative divination.

LoScarabeo has made this trend a travesty, and it ought to be stopped.

ENGLISH
LoScarebeo: please stop printing five languages on your Tarot decks!

ITALIAN
LoScarebeo: si prega di stampa di stop cinque lingue sul tuo mazzi di tarocchi!

FRENCH
LoScarebeo: s'il vous plaît arrêter l'impression cinq langues sur votre jeux de Tarot!

SPANISH
LoScarebeo: por favor, dejar de imprimir cinco idiomas en su cubierta de Tarot!

GERMAN
LoScarebeo: bitte hört auf zu drucken fünf Sprachen auf Ihrem Tarot-Decks!

~and for arguments sake~

RUSSIAN
LoScarebeo: пожалуйста, прекратите печати пяти языках на палубах Таро!

ARABIC
LoScarebeo : الرجاء وقف طباعة بخمس لغات على التارو الطوابق الخاصة بك!

rwcarter

My deck doesn't have any sticker on it. I'll be interested in hearing what printing of the LWB you have in your copy when you find it KariRoad.

linnie

KariRoad said:
My 5 language deck box has a sticker on it: "5 Language Edition" ...It's a stupid deck, 5 stupid typest languages, idiotic for serious appreciation or meditative divination.

Whatever my deck ends up actually being, KariRoad... I agree...

I am really, horribly distracted by 5 x title words, especially as I'd prefer no words at all... a number is sufficient... you can find the card in the guide book if need be, but it doesn't impact your own take on the card.... Hmmm...