IDS: The Thoth. (We are not afraid of you!)

Dancing Bear

I am new to Thoth , a week now..
and have three Thoth books on their way in the mail...
Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley
Understanding AC Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette
Thoth Companion by Michael osiris Snuffin .Kindly offered by Valeria.
I already had the Tarot Divination by Aleister Crowley (the Equinox Vol 1, number 8) I have finally opened it and started reading ;)

I would love to join on in the IDS ...
I must find a book worthy of a journal for this lovely deck....
I have not started studying any particular card yet.. I am just getting an overall feel of the entire deck, so far..

I am sure once the books arrive I will be able to join on in a little more. And have 20 dozen questions LOL!! In meantime I am looking forwards to the discussions that follow.

DB xx :love:

Always Wondering

Welcome Dancing Bear,
I look forward to learning with you.

AW

mosaica

Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to say that I'm leaving the Thoth IDS for now. I just started a round of physical therapy this week in order to recover from foot surgery, and I feel like that's what I need to concentrate on right now. It's taking a lot of time every day, and until I'm physically back to myself, I feel like I need to focus on a less intense deck. I may go back to it at some point, when I'm feeling more able, but until then.... Good luck to everyone!

Mosaica

missycab

Welcome DancingBear!!!

I wish you luck Mosaica! See you soon!

Always Wondering

mosaica said:
Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to say that I'm leaving the Thoth IDS for now. I just started a round of physical therapy this week in order to recover from foot surgery, and I feel like that's what I need to concentrate on right now. It's taking a lot of time every day, and until I'm physically back to myself, I feel like I need to focus on a less intense deck. I may go back to it at some point, when I'm feeling more able, but until then.... Good luck to everyone!

Mosaica

Healing can take a lot of energy. I will miss your input and encouragement.

AW

Star-Willow

Just stopping by to say Hello and wondering how everyone is going?

Only a few weeks left of IDS (that's if you have chosen the next Solstice as your end date) I have chosen what will be the Winter Solstice for me, (June 21st), as the end of my official IDS period but won't be putting my Thoth away.... I will continue my journey with this deck but I do look forward to being able to use my other decks again :) especially some of my oracles, I have missed them :(

I picked up Snuffin's book just yesterday and the way that it came about has reinforced for me to stay on this journey, keep studying & learning with this deck :)

I wanted to share this spread/exercise that I found. I have posted it on the support thread but I thought I'd post it here too in case someone missed it on the other thread......

First divide your deck into Majors, Courts & Minors.... shuffle & draw from each one in turn..... the Major drawn represents a lesson or situation for the day, the goal being to deepen the understanding of each Major by relating one to your daily life...... the Court drawn represents you or someone you will come in contact with that day, learning something about them or yourself, the goal is to better learn how to directly asssociate the Court cards with people & personalities.... and lastly the Minor drawn represents an obstacle or advice for the day, the goal is to learn how the Minors can be assocaited to everyday and/or mundane circumstances......

I have found it an interesting exercise and very helpful :)

I look forward to hearing how everyone else is going :)

star* :heart:

franniee

I picked the same end date Star.... but I am hitting a wall. I am tired of the images! I am a bit bored.
I'll give your spread a go. Thanks
I actually pulled out the liber T last night. i haven't read with it yet but I figured it is so much like the thoth that it might work. :)

Star-Willow

franniee said:
I picked the same end date Star.... but I am hitting a wall. I am tired of the images! I am a bit bored.

Really? I haven't found myself getting bored with the images, if anything I've got to remind myself that this is all a learning journey & I want to *know* this deck.

I actually pulled out the liber T last night. i haven't read with it yet but I figured it is so much like the thoth that it might work. :)

I bought this deck from similia just last month & had a quick look see but I am keen to get to *know* it better too :)

hehe, I found the 6 of cups a very interesting card :bugeyed:

PeterS

franniee said:
I'll give your spread a go. Thanks

I have also picked the 21st as my end date too. I am just plodding along. There are days when I make progress and then there are days that all I can do is just shuffle the deck. I recently had a little bit of a break through so it is really helping me get to the end. While I am committed to my deck through the entire period I can't imagine going any longer. I am literally counting the days. But today I am going to have a good day of study and who knows I might just jump online a take an e-mail reading or two.

Peter.

Dancing Bear

Thanks for the welcome everyone...

sorry its been so long since posting..Life is busy :)

I have been reading the DuQuette Book so far, I was enjoying it until he started to waffle on about things not previously covered..nor do i have much knowledge of..not to lack of trying..but unable to understand the significance..The alchemical symbols for me are a stumper...can someone else explain Vitriol to me... Duquette doesnt seem to be hitting a chord with me,, I am still none the wiser...I know it is important to the Tarot and it is the universal solvent, I feel for some reason it is important for me to learn on a much deeper level , before going any further...I am one that NEEDS to understand what i am reading and it gets frustrating if I dont LOL!

Does the Snuffin Book explain it better? or does the Book of Thoth explain it better? I have both..
I will try tonight to do a bit of research myself..also.

I havent even got to the meanings of the cards LOL!! and most definately havent given myself any time limit for study,s ... My life is madly busy so i only have about an hour a week to read my books and thats when i get to bed LOL!!..

I did pick up the deck the other day and used them for the Deep spirit Tarot excercise with Ming.. and was absolutely amazed at how accurate they were... this was the very first time i used them for any reading at all..

I Love this deck visually and am finding them really interesting to study... I love the significance of the Rose.. and without even paying attention nor knowing it I have had a rose cross mandala on my door for absolute years.. Now i know much of the meanings behind it.. It is so cool!! Thanks to Crowley and the Thoth..

DB xx