Crowley tarot books?

Lillie

Wow!
I'm glad it was so helpful to you!
And it's great that the work you are doing will bring this information to more people.

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

I am still puzzling over the decan descriptions, and the Liber T cards, scratching my head and saying..... fat baby, weirdy headless geezer, bleeding cross!!!!!
Damn good images though. The more I look at them the more I get fascinated by them!

I meant to tell you, by the way. It was Rats and Gargoyles. I had to wait till I went to the library to check because I read that story in a big volume called 'White Crow' which had a number of stories in.
It was the best story by far.
There was a girl in it who had a tail, and I have always wanted a tail.

If Mr DuQuette ever gets as far as the arse end of Wales I will be sure to go see him :)
I don't go far these days, not with fuel at £1.20 a litre!!

Storm82

DuQuette

I would like to know more about DuQuette´s book?

whats in it?

Formicida

DuQuette's book (Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, just so we're all on the same page) is a sort of companion to the deck and to the Book of Thoth for people who don't have a lot of occult knowledge going into it. If most of what Crowley says makes sense to you, you probably don't need it; if he periodically reminds you of the adults in Charlie Brown cartoons (wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa), then DuQuette will probably help. The first part of the book is called "Little Bits of Things You Should Know Before Beginning to Study Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot," and that pretty much sums it up. It sums up useful info on Qabalah, Thelema, color, and so forth--none of it exhaustive, but enough to get you started.

The second part is individual card descriptions, and most of that is taken from the Book of Thoth. I don't find it as useful as the first part, personally, though the introductions to each section are good. He does frequently include bits of letters between Crowley and Harris, which are worth reading.

As for Arrien, I actually kind of liked reading it as a relative newbie to the Thoth. It made me feel good about how much I already knew to be able to pick out the factual errors and questionable statements :)

Storm82

thankyou for your answer

I havent studied the kabbalah yet, but Im curious about it...
DuQuette's book only scraches the surface of this topic?

can you say something more about the first part of the book?

Formicida

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty much a surface treatment. He tries to give you the most important info you'd need to get started using the deck in as short a space as possible. It is titled "little bits..." after all. I'd say it's a good start if you want to get started working with the deck, and there's lots to follow through with.

If you like DuQuette's style and want to know more about Qabalah, there's always his Chicken Qabalah.

mosaica

Are any of DuQuette's other books helpful (besides Chicken Qabalah)?

Scion

Those two are really the ones most directly applicable to the Tarot. He has lots of stuff on Thelema and ceremonial magic, but that's a whole different subject (though related, natch). Know what I mean?

Aeon418

Scion said:
Those two are really the ones most directly applicable to the Tarot.
Except for the companion book to his Tarot of Ceremonial Magick. All of the information in that book is directly applicable to the Thoth.

Scion

Good call, Aeon! Totally slipped my mind.

And it's a pretty great read too (although he does leave out some stuff that he "meant" to talk about according to the preface...LOL :)) I just wish the deck itself, were less cursory. That being said he gave me a phenomenal reading with it a couple years back.

faunabay

Some of you already know this from my other thread, but I am finally "getting" the thoth deck. :) I really like it, but am just reading with it intuitively for now. I want to get to personally know it a bit before jumping into all the knowledge and studies that go into it.

I would like to get a book though for when I want to look something up or to get a wider perspective on a card when needed. BUT......I would want a book that's easy for total beginners to understand. Something in plain, easy to understand language.

For example I wanted a bit more information on the Aeon card so went to the thread about it.......

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31837

I have NO idea what most of you are talking about in that thread!! Not a clue!! I do know a tiny bit about egyptian gods and goddesses so I got that part, but most of it was like you're all talking a different language. :confused:

Is there such a book? A thoth primer of sorts! Would Duquette's book work for what I'm looking for?