The lily card

MandMaud

So I'm not the only one linking lily with breasts! :)

Well, shape-wise, if you take your glasses off, it makes sense. ;) In fact I was taken aback when I found that it's supposed to refer to male genitalia, not female. Though that area can be seen too... But instinctively lily seems more female - at least to modern Western eyes. We are used to thinking of flowers as a girly thing, after all, which they aren't in all cultures, but in mine (boring white western northern hemisphere :p) almost no one associates any flower with men.

Except, maybe, the red hot poker, Kniphofia uvaria. https://jariya078.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/dsc02679.jpg. })

Seriously though, I do get pretty confused by the way people (people with more experience, that is) insist sometimes on sticking to one set of meanings, at at other times are happy to decide meanings intuitively.

Kurenai

Well, shape-wise, if you take your glasses off, it makes sense. ;) In fact I was taken aback when I found that it's supposed to refer to male genitalia, not female. Though that area can be seen too... But instinctively lily seems more female - at least to modern Western eyes. We are used to thinking of flowers as a girly thing, after all, which they aren't in all cultures, but in mine (boring white western northern hemisphere :p) almost no one associates any flower with men.

Except, maybe, the red hot poker, Kniphofia uvaria. https://jariya078.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/dsc02679.jpg. })

Seriously though, I do get pretty confused by the way people (people with more experience, that is) insist sometimes on sticking to one set of meanings, at at other times are happy to decide meanings intuitively.

I agree with you. At first I had a hard time accepting the fact that a lot of people consider the lily card to have sexual meanings -- because to me, lily is a symbol of purity. :(

Padma

Don't feel bad - I can't see the sex part, either. So I use Whips and Heart to mean sex ;) Lilies always comes up for me to indicate resting and healing. Sort of the antitheses to sex!

Kurenai

Don't feel bad - I can't see the sex part, either. So I use Whips and Heart to mean sex ;) Lilies always comes up for me to indicate resting and healing. Sort of the antitheses to sex!

You're right! Whip and Heart seems closer to the "true" nature of sex than lilies.