Thoth Study Group - The Chariot

fyreflye

"from what i understand Harris didn't like Abrahadabra, I guess she thought that it didn't make as much sense as Abracadabra. Crowley liked Abrahadabra because it worked out Qabalahistically. Does anyone know more about this?"

Footnote 1 to The Chariot in Crowley's Book of Thoth calls ABRAHADABRA "the word of the Aeon...the cypher of the Great Work... On this word alone a complete volume could, and should, be written."
Apparently he's referring to ABRAHADABRA's numerological correspondence to 418, the total of the numbers associated with the Hebrew letters Ched, Yod and Tau. In the text itself Crowley writes that "His [the Charioteer's] only function is to bear the Holy Grail... The central and most important feature of the card is its centre - the Holy Grail. It is of pure amethyst, of the colour of Jupiter, but its shape suggests the full moon and the Great Sea of Binah."

Pardon me for jumping in unintroduced, but apparently I'm the only one here with the actual text of Crowley's commentary on the cards. Much as I might respect Banjhof or DuQuette, I have to wonder why we should believe that they understand the meaning of Crowley's commentary better than we might if only we were to study it ourselves?

CreativeFire

fyreflye said:
Pardon me for jumping in unintroduced, but apparently I'm the only one here with the actual text of Crowley's commentary on the cards. Much as I might respect Banjhof or DuQuette, I have to wonder why we should believe that they understand the meaning of Crowley's commentary better than we might if only we were to study it ourselves?

Feel free to jump in anytime fyreflye! Like reading any book on tarot, it is only another persons interpretation of the cards and this would no doubt also apply to Banzhaf and DuQuette and their take on the Thoth. So please share any info you can on Crowley's commentary to help add to our studies of the cards.

Cheers
CreativeFire

Centaur

fyreflye said:
Pardon me for jumping in unintroduced, but apparently I'm the only one here with the actual text of Crowley's commentary on the cards.

I cannot speak for anybody else here, but for me, I do not find Crowley's writings to be very accessible. Infact, I find them to be very confusing. Therefore, I rely on other texts from respected sources, such as Duquette. Although, I do sometimes refer back to the original Book of Thoth, as there are parts of it that I do understand.

But there are some parts of it that I find puzzling, for instance, your comments above pertaining to the number 418, and the Hebrew Letters you mentioned. Also, what is the Sea of Binah? Care to explain or shed further light?

fyreflye said:
Much as I might respect Banjhof or DuQuette, I have to wonder why we should believe that they understand the meaning of Crowley's commentary better than we might if only we were to study it ourselves?

A valid point! However, what is wrong with using secondary sources? Must we always revert back to the primary source? I do not think so. Yes, the primary source is of value, but there are many interesting and valuable works based on that source also.

jmd

For those interested, there is an older discussion which includes aspects of the various spellings of AbraKadabra in the thread titled Sanctum Sanctorum.

Centaur

jmd said:
For those interested, there is an older discussion which includes aspects of the various spellings of AbraKadabra in the thread titled Sanctum Sanctorum.

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to read some more on that, because I find the word to be very intriguing, but I was puzzled by all the different spelling!!!! LOL.

Parzival

The Chariot

"Abracadabra" also means "I create as I speak." This joins with the journey motif, in that we are creating who we are by our journeying, which can be on any level, from tantric to astral projection to enlightenment. Crowley referred to this picture as the "Great Work"--- an alchemical term for transformation of lower self into Higher Self.In Goethe's Faust, the main character just before he comes to his life-journey's end speaks of completing his "Great Work."He begins to shed his ego-centric ways.The Grail is in the hands of the journeyer,but he doesn't know it--- no Grail is empowered in horizontal position.Also,it is placed at the center of ego, the solar plexus chakra.The journeyer needs to lift up the Grail and serve others with it, or at least get it out of his stomach area.In yet another sense,the center of self-assertion needs transformation into Grail love(the Grail gives unconditionally to all).

TheoMo

I'm curious what people think about the four guardians in front of the Charioteer. Are they sphynxes? cherubim? People have mentioned 'mvoement' when they think of the this card, and I think that's definitely true. For me though, it is not the chariot itself that is moving; in fact, it seems to be at rest. Upon meditation on the card it felt as if I was caught in a tempest. The background was spiraling, the wheel in the center was spinning out of control and the four guardians were voraciously attempting to keep me away from the chariot.

September Pixie

for me the sphinx are blocking the path of the charioteer.. if they are to represent money then perhaps this is something the charioteer is supposed to be breaking free of (love of earthly possessions), and thus embarking on his spiritual journey? :)

Parzival

The Chariot

I appreciate all these thoughts about this atu or arcanum.I like what you indicate,TheoMo--- the Grail/solar plexus chakra spins and spins,but the four sphinxes and chariot wheels do not move. At the wrists, four spirals spin in and out. Maybe the journey is an inner one, a transforming of ego-centered will or ambition into life of the heart? From gut to Grail. The four sphinxes are the four elements,needing unified direction; in the human being,the four temperaments or fixed zodiacal signs.So often in the Thoth Tarot, transformation by blending, balancing, combining is essential. The magic is not far away in space or time but where we are, if we spin into inner journeying. This chariot goes nowhere.It's like a native American sweathouse or the inner sanctum of a temple.

Moonudjat

TheoMo said:
I'm curious what people think about the four guardians in front of the Charioteer. Are they sphynxes? cherubim? People have mentioned 'mvoement' when they think of the this card, and I think that's definitely true. For me though, it is not the chariot itself that is moving; in fact, it seems to be at rest.

From http://www.novareinna.com/constella...ancertarot.html
......The sphinxes are counter-changed elements of the four fixed signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius). They are also sometimes described collectively as the personal will...a powerful and wayward creature to control, even at the best of times.

On the movement or lack of movement... I totally agree with you. To me everything is still but the Holy Grail. It looks like it's spinning very fast like the rims or spokes of a wheel. Becasue the Grail is spinning only part of the it can be clearly seen.

Something a little extra....

To me I believe that the armored figure is representing “God”. One thing that struck me when reading The Bible Genesis 32:30 “...I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.” This has a correlation to the armored figure in that he is covered because if his face or body is seen the onlooker would die.

CreativeFire said:
: "Who does the Grail serve?" Parcival received the answer: "The Grail serves God!" (the King of the Grail).

I looks like the grail is serving the armored person in some way, serving him on his journey. I don't know i just can't get it out of my head. More meditation maybe : /