Astrology & surgery

huredriel

After reading through some articles online, I ended up here which states you should take into account the position of the Moon for surgery:

http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/surgery-rules

which has really freaked me out!!! I'm having major hip surgery on 5th February (UK) and I'm wondering not only what transit the Moon will be in on that date (I think there's a solar eclipse going on) but Mars will still be rx (and that article does not sound good at the end for that) let alone the Merc rx.

I'm also unsure as to whether this is relevant to my progressed chart, where my Moon will then be at 17 Sag 59 (the article states no mutable signs) ...... however it will be sextile to my Saturn and since that is currently in Virgo, I take it that's a good sign.

Any advice from our experienced astrologers would be greatly appreciated! ..... and I can't change the date unfortunately.

x Huredriel

dadsnook2000

Resource

The following site may offer you pieces of information that you can assemble relative to your chart. http://www.rosicrucian.com/adh/adheng01.htm#A&P_Planets

The Moon has to do with body fluids and blood flow, so that is important. Aspects and placement of the Moon will reflect how these portions of your body might be affected.

Mars has to do with body heat and the level of energy consuming processes such as your metabolism -- heart action, body heat, cellular processes.

But, then, every planet, planet combination and mid-point structure can have a body-health meaning. Which to focus upon? First, you have to look at the natal chart for general disposition of your health. This will give you the broad view -- look for stressful aspects, 6th and 12th house issues, etc.

Second, you can look at a progression chart. I would consider using the solar arch progression method and the use of the 90 degree dial to look at mid-point structures.

Third, you could -- if familiar with them -- use solar return and progressed daily charts to provide a very focused view of events and experiences in your life.

However, keep in mind that most of us in this world, including astrologers, don't always/often check charts for every event in their lives. We can spend all of our life researching possibilities or we can just live our life. I never run charts for myself. A little reflection will tell you all you need to know. Do you know your doctor? Is this a standard procedure for the hospital and team that will be operating on you? Is this really a high risk for your age and health conditions? We'll hold you in our thoughts. Dave

huredriel

Thank you very much Dave, much appreciated :)

I wasn't planning or had even thought about looking at this from an astro aspect, until one site led to another to another and then I found that one! And since the date of surgery isn't going to be changed, I thought I could use this as a learning curve (quelling the fear pangs LOL) ;) ....... as I've been informed, it's not normal surgery but rather *cutting edge* (I think it's 3 ops in one go and I'm gonna be off work on crutches for around 3 months approx at the moment) but I've got the best of the best surgeon, at one of the most cutting edge private hospitals in the UK and it's totally his speciality so that's all good :)

I'll have a good look through that link, quite interesting though cos I have Saturn in Aries in 6th natally and of course it's in Virgo generally right now so health matters are definitely at the fore! On the day of the op my 6th house (progressed to Taurus) is actually empty (as is the 12th house). I've been using astro.com and there doesn't seem to be a solar arc option in there.

Thanks once again Dave! :)

Minderwiz

Much of the Astrological lore relating to surgery comes from a time when surgery was an extremely hazardous process with significant risk of death, especially from loss of blood (hence the traditional focus on the Moon and its relation to blood flow). Today major surgery is far less risky, even cutting edge surgery.

To analyse your particular circumstances you could try either or both of two approaches. The first is to ask a horary question. Here the surgeon would be the ruler of the seventh house, the surgery would be the ruler of the tenth. Judgement would be made in terms of the position and condition of these planets and the significator of the illness. Mars rules surgery in general and if surgery is being discussed as one of a number of options then Mars can be used to signify that option. For a specific chart where surgery is the treatment that has been prescribed then the ruler of the tenth house (Lord 10) becomes the significator of this particular operation.

A further requirement would be a significator for the illness or disease (in your case the hip problem). Traditionally this would be a planet that afflicted Lord 1 (ruler of the Ascendant (Your significator). In this case the disease is known so I might also look for a general significator of your disease - in this case I'd probably use Saturn, as ruler of the skeleton and hence the hip (assuming that the disease is bone related).

The second approach is to cast an event chart for the moment of surgery. Unfortunately, whilst the date is often know in advance the time is not, so it's difficult to cast such a chart in advance. Some Astrologers might try to cast an Electional chart to pickthe best moment for surgery but unless you are extremely rich and can hire your own surgeon and operating theatre plus supporting staff this isn't really worth doing. From your post you are not in the situation of being able to influence the time, so we can rule out such an approach!

I wouldn't bother with secondary progressions or other sophisticated forecasting methods because there is a single issue here - the surgery. A chart cast for the surgery or a horary on the surgery plus your natal chart are all that is required.

I'd suggest looking at a possible chart for the operation but I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. We are neither professional Astrologers, nor more importantly medically qualified. In making a judgement we would almost certainly make some errors and I would not want our lack of competence to cause you any undue worry before the operation.

Astraea

Hello Huredriel. To the excellent replies you have already received, I would only add that surgery is, in itself, a Martian event -- so you can expect to see aspects in electional/horary/progressed charts that might be upsetting under other circumstances, regardless of the eventual outcome of the surgery. In other words, if a surgery is planned, then planetary positions in charts cast for that general period would quite naturally point to Martian events such as the skin being cut, inflammation (a natural part of the healing process as well as the result of pathology leading up to the surgery), in addition to Saturnian effects (signifying a time of rest and recovery, delays in returning to normal activity, effect on the bones knitting, and so on). If a medical condition exists which requires surgery, usually the same astrological indices which apply to the surgery will first suggest the ailment.

As Minderwiz suggests, it takes a great deal of expertise to tease these astrological portents out of their situational matrix (the surgery itself). In days past, when physicians had astrological training and surgery was inherently more dangerous than it is today, electional charts could be useful; today, the medical picture has grown so complex that it is harder to match the astrological rules with actual circumstances.

When it comes to making medical decisions for myself, I don't have first recourse to my chart, because I know it will indicate the possibility of such interventions, without necessarily enlightening me about outcomes. Instead, I weigh my options, get second and third medical opinions where necessary, check in with my gut feelings, and go from there.

Minderwiz

I'd also consult medical opinion first, second and if necessary third. A chart for the issue would be a long way behind medical opinion and I'd only cast one out of interest, not as a decision making aid.

Astraea is also very right in pointing out that a surgery related chart will not be particularly nice. Surgery is a drastic and , invasive procedure even if the outcome is eventually extremely beneficial. In your case a chart would most likely indicate continuing (short term) problems; as you will be on crutches for the following three months,recovery is not immediate.

The seventeenth century Astrologer, William Lilly said that reading a chart was a matter of both art and discretion - that is charts should be read in the context of the situation. Thus indicators that would be read as being life threatening in a seventeenth century chart would now be better read as minor complications, at worst. It's easy for the novice to look at interpretations of the great Astrologers of the past and jump to the conclusion that because the patient died in the operation then, the result must be the same outcome in an operation in 2008. The Astrologer must bear in mind that things are very different now and not frighten the client because of their own lack of understanding.

huredriel

WOW!!!!!!!! Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your help ............ this is rather over my head ....... so I'm gonna have to take it slow & absorb gradually. Have to be honest and say I didn't think it could be soooo complicated ...... that'll teach me eh!!! :)

Thanks very much!!!

dadsnook2000

All of the planets

All of the planets have their own story to tell. Which you use, one or many, depends upon the problem being treated and the nature of the surgery to be performed. It would seem to me, not being into medical astrology, that you would find it useful to use focus-techniques on your chart and transits.

For instance, anesthesia is the first action taken in any operation. This relates to Neptune. You could rotate your chart so that Neptune is on the Ascendant. Set the MC relative to the Ascendant. Then view all of the aspects to Neptune and the houses they are in. Of course, you would modify the house meanings to fit with with diagnostic and surgical meanings.

Mars would relate to any surgical incisions as well as infections and fevers. Sun could relate to the surgeon as well as to your vitality levels. Saturn could relate to bones, skin, sutures, casts and bandages. Jupiter could relate to blood pressure (too much, too little), Mercury to oxygen levels and breathing, as well as contracts, team communication and the process to be followed (along with Saturn). Venus could relate to the blood and ability to carry nutrients and medicines. This is all off the top of my non-medical head, but it should give you an idea of how to proceed. Putting each planet that relates to your surgery on the Ascendant might be an interesting exercise.

Modifying house meanings could also be fun. 7th would be the surgery team, 1st would be you, 4th would be the recovery process while the 10th would be the hoped for outcome. You might want to play around with the other houses. Have fun. Dave