Cheimonette Tarot - DEATH card??

rwcarter

Highlights from the LWB on Death:

• the woman is masked with the pattern of the false eye upon her (the pattern comes from moth wings)
  • the child is the Priest as a choirboy
  • his adoring look ties in with social institutions' (and especially organized religion's) love affair with death
  • Death's mask hides her meaning from us until she turns and looks as in the face as she comes for us
  • She is pregnant because death creates life and life creates death
Rodney

ETA: Oh, and there's nothing directly about the Hermit's (called Time in the deck) nudity. But I think it can be inferred that his nudity adds to his separation and distance from society, which is necessary to maintain his sense of identity and individuality.

Rodney

EmpressArwen

Thank you for the information, Rodney! Very helpful.

Dee Ell

I think it can be inferred that his nudity adds to his separation and distance from society, which is necessary to maintain his sense of identity and individuality.

Amen!!

(sorry, couldn't help myself (see my previous comment) šŸ˜‚ )

Citrin

Highlights from the LWB on Death:

She is pregnant because death creates life and life creates death

This! :) I love it.

I love a pregnant person in the Death card. I think the western view of death as super scary and dark and horrible is very odd. Death is a part of life and life is a part of death.

Carojulie

I have this deck and a few cards I have trouble making sense of ; Death is one of them. The Priest card (=Hierophant) is also strange, as it is a representation of death, with the scythe and all. No key, but a scythe for Hierophant, and a pregnant woman carrying plus a child for death.

When I first had a quick look through the cards, I thought the Priest was Death, amongst other cards that I mistook for something else. The eight of Staves (=Wands) I thought (and still think) was the eight of swords, etc...

I am right now trying to study this deck a little deeper, to try and understand it. I rreally love the art style, wich is why I am making the effort.