Peintures du Monde tarot?

starlightexp

With reverse image searches/alerts it's thankfully a lot easier for you to find where copies of your images are being posted around the interwebs and I'm guessing Museums (given their limited revenue and constantly fighting for funding to keep their doors open) would have a staff member monitoring this stuff since one of the only ways they can make money is through their merchandise which they can now sell online... Books, umbrellas, cards, dishware, etc, printed with images of the art they own.

An academic printing of something is very different from a commercial printing (such as this deck).

PS - what's the BnF?

Bibliothèque nationale de France

CherryNukaCola

I thought I'd clear up a couple misconceptions, as I have some familiarity with this subject, though IANAL.

Public domain means it is free to use in *Any* way that you wish. If there are restrictions on how you use it, then it is not in the public domain.

Whether older things are currently copyrighted or not is pretty complicated, as the laws changed several times during the last century and differed from country to country. This can lead to some strange situations, such as something being in public domain in some countries and not others.

A quick search on wikimedia (a great source for public domain images and checking rights, btw) reveals that Waterhouse's Circe is in the public domain everywhere exceptin the United Kingdom.

I can't speak for all the deck's images, but for that particular one painting, the deck creator is well within their rights to use it, as long as they don't distribute their deck in the United Kingdom.

Dee Ell

I thought I'd clear up a couple misconceptions, as I have some familiarity with this subject, though IANAL.

Public domain means it is free to use in *Any* way that you wish. If there are restrictions on how you use it, then it is not in the public domain.

Whether older things are currently copyrighted or not is pretty complicated, as the laws changed several times during the last century and differed from country to country. This can lead to some strange situations, such as something being in public domain in some countries and not others.

A quick search on wikimedia (a great source for public domain images and checking rights, btw) reveals that Waterhouse's Circe is in the public domain everywhere exceptin the United Kingdom.

I can't speak for all the deck's images, but for that particular one painting, the deck creator is well within their rights to use it, as long as they don't distribute their deck in the United Kingdom.

Mahalo for this international technical clarification (and yes, Wikimedia is a great resource!).

I can see how, given that these images are from museums all over the place it would get sticky when 1 image prevents you from selling it in the UK, another in France or Italy and so on...

starlightexp

Mahalo for this international technical clarification (and yes, Wikimedia is a great resource!).

I can see how, given that these images are from museums all over the place it would get sticky when 1 image prevents you from selling it in the UK, another in France or Italy and so on...

That was part of the issue with the Symbolist Tarot back in the day. He was trying to gain the rights to sell the deck with the images. I LOVE wikimedia

grandmakris

Info on deck

Are there any books or downloads available for this deck? I can't find anything.