Tarot Minus Esoteric Symbolism = ???

Barleywine

I prefer a touch of esotericism though I love the Fey Tarot and that was intentionally created without occult symbolism as that was seen as out of sync with its theme.

I think that decks that go free of esoteric symbolism tend to narrow the scope of each individual card by relying largely on mood to convey the meaning.

I do as well, for my own use and when reading for like-minded friends. But most of the best features of those decks would go unappreciated by the average client "off the street," who would quickly get lost in my attempts at explanation. I think in the last year I had one client who actually asked for the Thoth deck.

I shy away from most of the deep symbolism in public reading, or at least I ask first how much knowledge they have; sometimes there is a smattering of astrological awareness I can work with. I use the inherent symbolism in my thinking even if it isn't present visually, unless the deck is clearly going in a different direction. It comes naturally after years of study. What I'm looking for is a "mass-market" deck that feeds that approach without being a total puzzle to my sitters.

Lisa Myobun

What about Raven's Prophecy? Llewelyn - with all the cardstock problems new and old... and yes, if the YA fiction connection is off putting then that kills the deal, but for me Stiefvater's art is super smart, intuitive and kind of gorgeous...

Barleywine

What about Raven's Prophecy? Llewelyn - with all the cardstock problems new and old... and yes, if the YA fiction connection is off putting then that kills the deal, but for me Stiefvater's art is super smart, intuitive and kind of gorgeous...

Thanks for the suggestion. I like some of the cards quite a bit, others not so much, so the whole package probably wouldn't be for me. Seems like something I would read as an oracle deck despite the tarot titles (kind of like the way I read the Chrysalis Tarot).

Zephyros

There's also the Bosch Tarot. While it is very roughly RWS based, it's so out there that it's something else altogether. The Gay Tarot is another one that comes to mind, although it may not be appropriate.

Barleywine

There's also the Bosch Tarot. While it is very roughly RWS based, it's so out there that it's something else altogether. The Gay Tarot is another one that comes to mind, although it may not be appropriate.

I have the Bosch but haven't connected with it, although Bosch's paintings have always fascinated me.

delinfrey

Legacy of the Divine offers familiar readings with the known RWS archetypes, but the "esoteric symbolism" comes from its own world entirely. A VERY good public reading deck - when I do readings at home, my clients can choose any deck from 100+ decks. LotD gets chosen the majority of times.

Alice Tarot - no esoteric symbolism. In fact. the familiar stories and meanings have been transposed into the Alice in Wonderland world. Due to the beautiful imagery that is very easy to connect to (since everyone has either read or at least knows the Alice story) and the metallic overlay, this is also a very good deck for clients.

Tarot of Trees! Absolutely no esoteric imagery, yet a very deep, sharp and likeable reading deck.

Then there are the decks with their own universes altogether:

Silicon Dawn
Margarete Petersen
Dreams of Gaia
Japaridze
etc

GlitterNova

Ever considered the Mary-El tarot? It's very much its own thing, not obviously RWS or Thoth-based. Little esoteric imagery but it does pull much from Christian, Norse, Egyptian, etc mythologies. It's such a unique deck, people either love it or totally don't get it at all!

Mittkait

Do you want something non-scary?

The Halloween Tarot and The Gummy Bear Tarot are very inviting and non confrontational (art/symbol wise).

Doreen Virtue's The Guardian Angel tarot is very straight forward as well.

Lisa Myobun

There is a really nice 1995 edition of Crystal Tarot on ebay right now for a great price. the borders are smaller, and the multi-linguals are also smaller. It's waaaay easier on the eyes.

Please buy it so I can't.

Argh! I blame YOU mr pants! - after holding out for a week, I just nabbed this deck.... woohoo!!!

Barleywine

Ever considered the Mary-El tarot? It's very much its own thing, not obviously RWS or Thoth-based. Little esoteric imagery but it does pull much from Christian, Norse, Egyptian, etc mythologies. It's such a unique deck, people either love it or totally don't get it at all!

The Mary-El has been on my wish-list for a while. I has one of my favorite Hermit cards, from a purely aesthetic perspective.