Visconti Sforza Force/Strength Yet Again!

Rosanne

I have read on other threads the disturbing idea that the Strength card shows abuse and even in cards today that a Lion chained is somehow unpleasant.

I want you to consider another aspect of this card that disputes the Nemean Lion legend and Samson and Hercules.

Here is a picture of the front porch of the Ferrara Cathedral.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/En_5Dl_ZPsFPk5uO-7qmLg

Note the way the lion looks to his right at the Doorway to the Cathedral as well as the figure above him does too. A lion is supposed to sleep with his eyes open, therefore symbolically it depicts vigilance, spiritual watchfulness and strength. Like Saint Mark whose icon is the Lion- the Sentinel (who maybe Saint Mark) supports the pillars of the Church.

Now go to the site Trionfi http://trionfi.com/i/11/
and click on the Essay of Ross Caldwell ( and other essays)
and I think the Visconti Sforza PMB card shows exactly what the Lions all around Lombardy show....The symbolic role as Guardian of the Door.
If you mentally draw a line from the eyes of Sforza and the eyes of the Lion, you will see they are acting as Guardians against all comers. There is no apparent intent to fight the lion.
On the Cary Yale Visconti there is the Queen type holding the mouth of the lion. I propose that this image is Felicitas, Roman goddess of good luck, success and Happiness. She was often shown as subduing the Male Lion- sitting on his back - lying on him. She became the special protector of successful commanders. The emperors made her prominent as symbolizing the blessings of the imperial regime. So Christianized, Felicitus became the Maternal Virgin Mary- protector of the City.

~Rosanne

Debra

Hi Rosanne, and thanks for the link to Ross's essay.

I am convinced anyway that the man is not beating on the lion, because what you pointed out long ago about the direction of its eyes. When I waggle my newpaper to intimidate our own fierce cats they look right at me even as they cower.

Visually, I like that the two look outside the frame of the card to the opponent seen only by them.

I'm finding images of Felicitas with cornucopia and a caduceus or some such, but not the lion...

Bernice

With respect, I beg to differ.
I see a stalwart italian about to bash the daylights out of the King of the Jungle. I agree they are both looking off-card, but I think there is a bunch of people there, an audience. The club-wielder is hesitating to be sure he has their full attention, he's thinking "Now they'll see how mighty I am and applaud me". The lion is eyeing a feast, he's thinking " How many can I get in my mouth at one fell swoop...?".

SERIOUSLY!
This deck seems to contain so many references to the actual families of Visconti & Sforza that any real examination of the images will show this to be obvious. But the Cary-Yale 'lady & lion' has puzzled me. It's the image Waite used and has always confounded me somewhat. If indeed she is "Felicitas, Roman goddess of good luck, success and Happiness", then what does the lion represent - why not a hippo or elephant?

Bee :)

Rosanne

Of course you allowed to 'beg to differ'- this is a forum. At least you seem to know that by answering with a post.
Glad you enjoyed the link to Trionfi Debra :D- there are lots of interesting articles there, as you know.

But here comes Felicitus with lion.
Before I link the pic- tut tut have you not read the new Harry Potter novel, there is a potion called “Felix Felicitas”. It is basically liquid luck; and it imbues the drinker of the potion with feelings of warmth, confidence and limitless possibility, and then reality warps so that everything perfectly goes the way the drinker of this magic juice hopes. In the wizarding world, Felix Felicitas is a banned substance for athletic competition! Liquid Lion I would say not Felix the pussy.
http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/jan17.html Scroll down to image
Love the bare Bottom! That is trust and most likely Good Fortune.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Ooops, the link is not working....

B x

Rosanne

Try again Bee, I changed it.

Bernice

Ah-huh! Lady of Fortune (riches etc) with the Lion emblem of the Sforza/Visconti (which?).

A nice clear and understandable image that the people of that time & place would instantantly recognise. (big smiley).

Bee :)

Moonbow

Is that really a lion that Felicitis is with, looks more like a dragon?

I haven't made up my mind about this card. I can see where Debra is coming from, ie both are looking at something out of the picture, and perhaps they are both in defense of whatever it is. I can also relate (more so) to Francesco wanting to be depicted as strong and powerful in this deck, and what better way to do that than to have the lion in the same card image.

Its true that it can be seen as a disturbing image at first glance but really, would people have looked so closely at this deck as we now are, or would the simple fact that there being man and lion in one image to portray power and strength be enough of an impression?

Debra

I think it's a unicorn. I see hooves and a horn.

Who else might she be?

Isn't she opening the lion's mouth on the Visconti card? That's always mystified me.

Rosanne

Forsooth you are right- tis a Unicorn!!!! Blind old me.
Off to find Felicitas with a lion. It is true that one of her totems is a Lion.
I have several pictures here but scanning them is a problem- book spines and all.
In a few of my iconology and symbol books, it speaks of shutting the Lions mouth as symbolic of the Christian been delivered from the Lion's mouth( which is the Devil as a 'roaring Lion') by the strength of Faith. In the Catholic Church that would normally have been Christ saving you- not a female. I just do not get the female bit in the Cary Yale deck. Those times were particularly male except as beautiful things to sing and mourn over- or pure as the driven snow.
Try explaining it to a priest lol.
I don't know....if you look at the image from a Catholic point of view and Medieval to boot, you might think.. (just musing out aloud here) Mary?/female has control over a lion (I am pretty sure that is supposed to be Mary) Is there some illusion to Subduing the Church or the Earthly Church I mean- quieting the excesses down? Not been afraid to oppose the Pope?
Felicitas's Roman feast day is July the 1st- if not a Market Day - Dies Netastus- the Peoples day or Market Day. No legal action could be taken against anyone- and you could not speak /orate on that day either. The Romans had an 8 day week, called a Market Calendar- on the 8th day was Market Day. So is there some illusion to having the strength to have your own Market Day- not dictated by the Church. Very weird. But it is not what is commonly thought of to me in this card except maybe the Alchemy position...
"The alchemist now realises that brute strength will not win the day, a more gentle persuasive approach is needed" (Jensen) Then it is noted that is not what the other Visconti depicts.

~Rosanne