When Hebrew or Yiddish "טארוט" or "טארוקי" or "טארוק" begin appearing?

Ross G Caldwell

When Hebrew or Yiddish "טארוט" or "טארוקי" or "טארוק" begin appearing?

Can anyone who knows these languages tell me when versions of the name begin appearing in Hebrew or Yiddish writings? The following spellings all appear to bring up references to the game, and they are all 20th century -

טארוקי
טארוקו
טארוק
טארוט

Both versions appear together in a book -

טארוק ומשחקי טארוט
"Tarok and Tarot games"

3ill.yazi

Can't speak for Hebrew, but I will hazard a guess that its not likely that the word exists in Yiddish writings prior to the 20th C, by my recent and admittedly newbie studies of the Language. Certainly looks like a loan word from the Italian, though, so it's possible that it might go back to earlier Yiddish. I could give a yelp to the National Yiddish Book Center down the road ...

firecatpickles

Modern Hebrew was invented at the turn of the century; or rather in the naught years; using a root-based system with traditional (biblical) stem words. The double-vau or aleph is liberally used in loan words. The aleph would be the first letter of the word (not the second) if this were a word Hebrew in origin. I can't say for certain, but the use of tet at the beginning of a word is a "no-no" . The tau would be used instead of the tet if it were Hebrew in origin.

As an example, the name Reese is spelled either rosh-aleph-samech or rosh-double-vau-shin. i would imagine many Yiddish words use the same aleph/double-vau technique, adding to the confusion...

firecatpickles

Hebrew and Yiddish are unrelated in origin in this context: Hebrew is a creole language that has developed (and continues to evolve) over hundreds of years. It is only written in Hebrew letters. Modern Hebrew is an invention.

The Orthodox in Israel do not speak Hebrew, again, only using the Hebrew alephbet when writing Yiddish. (Yiddish newspapers are printed in Hebrew letters, for example), as Hebrew is a sacred language to them. To survive in Israel with any modicum of success, one learns not only how to speak, read, and write Modern Hebrew (Biblical Hebrew is analogous with Shakespearean English, by the way), but also learns to comprehend Yiddish as a spoken language, at least on a primer level. You are required to take the classes.

Eliezer Ben-Yehuda's grandson (same name) was a Rabbi at my former synagogue here.

3ill.yazi

Yes, in Yiddish if you saw the tau that would indicate it was Hebrew in origin. This looks like a transliteration of taro chi etc IMO.

firecatpickles

Yes, in Yiddish if you saw the tau that would indicate it was Hebrew in origin. This looks like a transliteration of taro chi etc IMO.

Thank you for clarifying this for us.